• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

September Speedsolving Competition | All WCA events 2x2-7x7, 3x3 OH, Skewb, Pyra, Mega, SQ-1, FMC, and 3BLD

Hyperion

WCA
2022LANA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I will be hosting an online competition for September; it will include all WCA events except for 4 and 5BLD, and MBLD. The first round will start on September 1st and end on the 7th. The second round will start on the 8th and finish on the 15th. The 3rd round will start on the 16th and end on the 23rd. The top 12 will advance from the first round and move to the second and the top 8 will advance to the 3rd.
Events: 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, 7x7, 3x3OH, Skewb, Pyraminx, SQ-1, Megaminx, Clock, FMC and 3x3 blindfolded

Scoring: I will just be ranking you based on your times, and the winner of 3x3 will be the winner of the competition. The link to the rankings sheet is here: Rankings

Rules: Please use the official WCA regulations, 15 seconds of inspection time, count +2's and DNF fairly. Please note that you don't have to have a stackmat timer, you can do this on a phone. Just please don't start with the cube in your hands. And don't rehearse the scrambles.

Registration: The registration will close on September 1st. You can find the registrants here: Registrants

Times: Please DM me the times and I will enter them into this spreadsheet: Times

Last edited:

turtwig

2x2: 12th place
3x3: 8th place
12+8=20
20/2=10 (2 is from the number of events I competed in)
This might be your intention, but if you're taking an average rank, then you're encouraging people to only participate in the even they are best at. In your example, say that the person is better at 3x3 than 2x2. If they compete in both, they get a score of 10, but if they drop 2x2, their score goes down to 8. My impression is that sum of rank schemes are usually there to encourage all-roundedness, so generally for events you don't compete in your rank counts as (number of participants)+1. That way you are not punished for competing in more events.

WCA
2021BRAN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I will be hosting an online competition for September; it will include all WCA events except for 4 and 5BLD, and MBLD. The first round will start on September 1st and end on the 7th. The second round will start on the 8th and finish on the 15th. The 3rd round will start on the 16th and end on the 23rd. The top 8 will advance from the first round and move to the second and the top 5 will advance to the 3rd.
Events: 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, 7x7, 3x3OH, Skewb, Pyraminx, SQ-1, Megaminx, Clock and 3x3 blindfolded

Scoring: I will be using a scoring method that I got from Baseballjello67 where you add your ranks and divide it by the number of events you entered, the person with the lowest score wins. The link to the ranking sheet is here: Rankings
Ex. Say I only did 2x2 and 3x3.
12+8=20
So my score would be ten.

Rules: Please use the official WCA regulations, 15 seconds of inspection time, count +2's and DNF fairly. Please note that you don't have to have a stackmat timer, you can do this on a phone. Just please don't start with the cube in your hands. And don't rehearse the scrambles.

Registration: The registration will close on September 1st. You can find the registrants here: Registrants

Times: Please DM me the times and I will enter them into this spreadsheet:Times
P.S. If more people join the competition than I expect I will increase the amount of those who get into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Here is a suggestion. They can only get a sum of ranks if they compete in 3 or more events.

WCA
2021BRAN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I will be hosting an online competition for September; it will include all WCA events except for 4 and 5BLD, and MBLD. The first round will start on September 1st and end on the 7th. The second round will start on the 8th and finish on the 15th. The 3rd round will start on the 16th and end on the 23rd. The top 8 will advance from the first round and move to the second and the top 5 will advance to the 3rd.
Events: 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, 7x7, 3x3OH, Skewb, Pyraminx, SQ-1, Megaminx, Clock and 3x3 blindfolded

Scoring: I will be using a scoring method that I got from Baseballjello67 where you add your ranks and divide it by the number of events you entered, the person with the lowest score wins. The link to the ranking sheet is here: Rankings
Ex. Say I only did 2x2 and 3x3.
12+8=20
So my score would be ten.

Times: Please DM me the times and I will enter them into this spreadsheet:Times
P.S. If more people join the competition than I expect I will increase the amount of those who get into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
How do you register?

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
This might be your intention, but if you're taking an average rank, then you're encouraging people to only participate in the even they are best at. In your example, say that the person is better at 3x3 than 2x2. If they compete in both, they get a score of 10, but if they drop 2x2, their score goes down to 8. My impression is that sum of rank schemes are usually there to encourage all-roundedness, so generally for events you don't compete in your rank counts as (number of participants)+1. That way you are not punished for competing in more events.
How about we decide on a main event and then whoever wins that event wins the comp? That's how the WCA does it. It might be a biased system, but at least it's proven and easy to calculate.

we all know the main event is going to be clock, but 3x3 is a good option too