• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

scramble.cubing.net — a quick way to get a scramble!

Lucas Garron

WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sometimes I find myself needing a quick scramble without a timer, especially for certain kinds of demos. So I made a site for it!

https://scramble.cubing.net/

scramble.cubing.net__event=333&show-refresh=true.png

If you click on the event icon, you can use it for all WCA events:

Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 18.11.15.pngscramble.cubing.net__event=minx.pngscramble.cubing.net__event=sq1.png

It's designed to look super pretty. ☺️
It also comes with automatic dark mode (matching your device), and a little refresh icon in the lower right when you add it to your home screen as a web app. 😃

It uses random state scrambles, although be cautioned that it doesn't perform WCA-style filtering for all events yet (but hopefully soon).

This also serves as a simple demo of how to use `cubing.js` to build new sites — the core code fits on a single screen: https://github.com/cubing/scramble....b422c67f608680b4480f47b4e08cc/src/scramble.ts
If there's interest, I can make a video about how to put together a site like this yourself!

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice app!

Just a little request:

It would be REALLY interesting if there was an option to copy the scramble to the clipboard.
Selecting, copying and pasting gives a result like this one:

If this is corrected it will be PRETTY HANDY on example solve games

Lucas Garron

WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice app!

Just a little request:

It would be REALLY interesting if there was an option to copy the scramble to the clipboard.
Selecting, copying and pasting gives a result like this one:

Oooh, thanks for reporting this! I'll try to make sure the copied algs fit on one line at least. (Although avoiding the link formatting may be trickier. The moves are clickable so you can jump to a given move!)

YouTube
Visit Channel
Oooh, thanks for reporting this! I'll try to make sure the copied algs fit on one line at least. (Although avoiding the link formatting may be trickier. The moves are clickable so you can jump to a given move!)
thanks for the quick reply!
I think putting a "copy to clipboard" button at the end of the scramble can fix the problem.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sometimes I find myself needing a quick scramble without a timer, especially for certain kinds of demos. So I made a site for it!

https://scramble.cubing.net/

View attachment 17486

If you click on the event icon, you can use it for all WCA events:

View attachment 17489View attachment 17488View attachment 17490

It's designed to look super pretty. ☺️
It also comes with automatic dark mode (matching your device), and a little refresh icon in the lower right when you add it to your home screen as a web app. 😃

It uses random state scrambles, although be cautioned that it doesn't perform WCA-style filtering for all events yet (but hopefully soon).

This also serves as a simple demo of how to use `cubing.js` to build new sites. If there's interest, I can make a video about how to put together a site like this yourself!
Superb work, this idea was on my mind at some point as well!

Lucas Garron

WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wish there was a way to slow down the scrambling program so that you could follow along with the animation instead of follow the scramble.

I've thought about this, but I don't have a good way to do it yet. 😔

If you want to go back to any part of the scramble, you can always press a move (and press on the same move again to animate forward from there). But not everyone scrambles the same way.

The default tempo for cubing.js/Twizzle is 1 second for a quantum turn and 1.5 seconds for a half turn: https://alpha.twizzle.net/edit/?alg=F2+D+F'+D2+R2+F+D'+R+U'+F+L2+F+R2+F+L2+U2+L2+F2+D2+F'+D2
However, this is slower than a lot of us actually scramble, but possibly still too fast for someone who is going carefully and/or new to the notation for a puzzle.

I could add a config slider to adjust the tempo, but that would be shifting the problem onto the user: they have to change the setting any time it's not working. I could instead save a tempo per puzzle (per event?), but that's quite some functionality to convey to the user, given how simple the app is supposed to be. Maybe at that point I should think about a way to skip through ≈5 moves at a time.

Thoughts / suggestions?