• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Scollier's Progress Thread | Determined to Learn 3BLD!

Scollier

Dream inside of a Dream inside of a Dream
YouTube
Visit Channel
Since most people have a thread for their progress, youtube vidoes, etc., I though I might make one.

Here, I may post:
  • My cubing progress (3x3, 2x2, etc.)
  • My method ideas and creations
  • And my all-knowing sagacious insights on cubing jk
I may or may not update this thread regularly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just to start, here is some of my progress.

PB: 20.15 (So close to sub 20!!!)
Goal: Sub-20 PB within next 14 days.

Average (according to ao100): ~28
Goal: Not sure yet, probably finish learning full PLL and work on F2L.

And here is my beginner 2x2 method if anyone wants to know.

Here is my beginner way of solving the 2x2. I taught it to my younger brother, and he can solve it in about 30-40 seconds or so. It requires eight moves consisting of two algorithms: (R U R' U') and (L’ U’ L U) which I call the right hand algorithm and the left hand algorithm. Here is how the method works.

1. Solve the first layer.

I usually teach this method starting with white, as it is what most solvers start on and is pretty easy to recognize. You first find any white piece. You hold that on the bottom. Then, you find another white corner than can go next to your bottom white corner. Hold the other white corner over the slot, and do the right hand algorithm until the white piece faces the bottom and creates a solved bar. Do this with the other two white pieces until you have a fully solved white layer. This is pretty easy to learn and I am not the first to invent it.

2. Align the top corners.

How this step works is you first find two yellow corners that are aligned. For example, a corner that is aligned would be a yellow corner that is between the blue and red "centers" (in this case to find the color of the center use the colors on the sides of the first white layers). The corner does not necessarily need to be solved (that is yellow facing up in the correct orientation) but rather can be in any twisted corner state (so three possible permutations). You may need to do U moves to find two yellow corners are in place next to their "centers." You will either have 2 or all 4 corners aligned. If you have all 4 corners aligned, this step is completed, but if you only have two corners aligned, you must align the next two. You may either have two opposite corners correct and two other opposite corners that need to swap, or you may have two adjacent corners correct, and two adjacent corners that need to swap. For more advanced solvers, you could easily solve the adjacent swap with the Y perm and the opposite swap with the T perm, but to keep this beginner friendly, this is what you do.

For opposite corners: hold the two correct corners in a bar on the left, and the corners that need to swap in a bar on the right. Then execute this algorithm 3(R U R' U') y 3(L' U' L U). (So do the right hand algorithm 3 times, rotate, and do the left hand algorithm 3 times on that same bar.) This aligns all the corners.

For adjacent corners: this is very similar to swapping opposite corners but includes one more step. First, just do the swapping algorithm from anywhere 3(R U R' U') y 3(L' U' L U). Then, after executing this, you will find that you have two opposite corners that need to be aligned. You know what to do from here, just follow the same procedure for aligning opposite corners.

Permutate Yellow Corners (Solve the Cube):

To finally solve the cube you rotate upside down so that white is on top (x2). Hold an unsolved yellow corner on your right (by unsolved I mean a corner that is not permutated correctly, e.g. without yellow facing the top/bottom. Do the right hand algorithm (R U R' U') as many times as it takes until the yellow corner goes into the bottom. This will mess up the rest of the cube, but do not worry, it will solve in the end. Then, do a D move (DO NOT ROTATE THE CUBE) to bring another unsolved yellow corner to the right. Do the right hand algorithm again until you solve the corner. Do this will all of your corners until your yellow face is solved. If you have completed this step correctly, your 2x2 cube should be solved. Do an AUF if necessary.

Thanks for reading, and happy cubing!

Last edited:

Scollier

YouTube
Visit Channel
What if you post an ao5 weekly or ao12 biweekly and we give tou some tips?

Sure, I probably will do that.
And also, I can't really cube on weekdays, so I will probably post an average on either Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.

anyway, hope you the best in your cubing journey!

Thanks! :)

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Not nessesarily, most commonly used A perms have an X rotation at the beginning
It's not a real rotation, only a regrip at the start. The "proper" alg is R' F R' B2 R F' R' B2 R2 and the execution which you will quickly figure out is more like l' U R' D2 R U' R' D2 (l R).

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
If you execute the standard one as l’ D R’ U2... (with headlights in back) it technically doesn’t have a rotation.
Yeah the rotation is misleading. It's not even the thing where people may put a rotation like y to show the case is recognized differently. Beginners should just get the proper alg R' F R' B2 R F' R' B2 R2 and they can figure out a nicer execution that's kinda like l' within a few minutes of doing it. Or watch a fingertricks video like you should do for all popular algs.

Scollier

YouTube
Visit Channel
So, over the course of a week or longer, I probably am going to create an 8 part youtube video series on how to solve the Rubik's 3x3 Cube. In my opinion, I think it is the most beginner friendly, because you only need to memorize 2 algorithms in order to solve the cube. So when it's released, I'd love to hear what you think of it :)

Reactions: qwr

Scollier

YouTube
Visit Channel
Not much is happening here, I don't have much time for cubing really anymore right now, but I did create this cubing playlist. It's titled "Midnight Cubing," and it's my style of music. Classical, peaceful and has some powerful middles of the pieces. Just started working on it today, so I probably will add more music later on. I attached the link if you would like to listen to it: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6...i=01UNMLIVTMW0sPClInIK1g&utm_source=copy-link

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Not much is happening here, I don't have much time for cubing really anymore right now, but I did create this cubing playlist. It's titled "Midnight Cubing," and it's my style of music. Classical, peaceful and has some powerful middles of the pieces. Just started working on it today, so I probably will add more music later on. I attached the link if you would like to listen to it: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6...i=01UNMLIVTMW0sPClInIK1g&utm_source=copy-link

Interesting. I usually prefer upbeat music to get my kinda hyped up. Often some rap or if it's late some Imagine Dragons (some of their calmer song s)

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
Last edited:
  • Eyes Up
Reactions: qwr

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I have something that I made over the summer for cubing. I made this wit hthe help of TnL's video and other smaller youcubers

You realize it previews the cover of the playlist, right?

Also I bet you that all those songs were added to the playlist today, not over the summer. Also it says there's only 4 songs.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
huh?
no it doesnt

You realize that the quote shows the old version, which has the preview, right?

You're gonna have to get better at rick-rolling if you want to get me. (does that even count as a rickroll though? It doesn't automatically play and it's not the video, so I don't think it counts. Either way, I didn't click)

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
On the topic of cubing music and such: On the extremely rare occasion that I practice cubing, I don’t usually listen to music. Instead I put on a twitch stream (could be cubing or something else) and use it as background noise. I prefer this to listening to music, and it’s also more realistic prep for competitions (Unless you plan to have live music at your comp lol)