• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Sample code for GAN robot?

Osric

Has anyone found documentation, sample code, or reverse engineered the protocol for the GAN Robot? I'd love to hook it up to things like Roman's OLL trainer.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

cubeast

I can't help you here, but FYI someone messaged me a while back asking me if I worked on Gan Robot support for Cubeast and told me he was experimenting with the Bluetooth API and actually bricked his Gan Robot, so it seems reverse engineering is risky.

As a side note I'll say that IMO using the Gan Robot for trainers is a bad idea. Gan Robot is actually not that easy to use, it takes a moment to put the cube in it, the scrambling itself is also not that quick. I don't think it's superior to manually scrambling your cube like for example in Roman's ZBLL trainer. IMO the way to improve the trainers is to use Bluetooth cubes. Just show a case on the screen and have the user solve it by looking at the screen rather than the physical cube. This way you don't have to scramble the cube at all and you could be solving a case every 5 seconds or even faster. I plan on implementing this in Cubeast for all methods, not only CFOP.

Osric

As a side note I'll say that IMO using the Gan Robot for trainers is a bad idea. Gan Robot is actually not that easy to use, it takes a moment to put the cube in it, the scrambling itself is also not that quick.
Well really this argument works against the whole tech thing in cubes! For any intermediate solver who can solve in under 90s, manual scrambles and solves are fast, easy, and can be done without futzing with a cube that runs out of battery, loses its bluetooth connection occasionally, and while being fairly nice to work with is just not as good as their main cube.

I think the GAN Robot is good for two cases: beginners who are learning the algorithms for the first time and are not at all focused on speed, or for the distracted cuber who wants to be able to pick up a scrambled cube every few minutes and solve it while doing something else. FWIW on my edition of the GAN Robot a complete scramble takes 5s, so if it'd only automatically scramble as soon as you locked the cube in it would feel pretty quick to any novice. For an advanced solver who can already read and perform a scramble off of cstimer or similar in under 10s it's probably a waste of time and money.