• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Sacrificing turns-per-second for turning accuracy?

TioMario

YouTube
Visit Channel
I noticed that when I'm turning faces very fast I have a bigger probability of a lockup, and if I try to avoid lockups, my turns are smoother, but slower too.
Should I forget about lockups and keep going, or practice smoothness and accuracy?

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
I believe most of the really fast people will tell you turning at a consistent speed with good look ahead is better than bursty turning. There are counter examples, like Naji, but it seems to be the general consensus.

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I believe most of the really fast people will tell you turning at a consistent speed with good look ahead is better than bursty turning. There are counter examples, like Naji, but it seems to be the general consensus.
Agreed. I often get Sup-30 when I try to brute-force a cube compared to going a bit slower and getting 22-25 seconds.

chris410

The single best piece of advice I was given by others here which made the biggest difference in my times (I am a beginner) came from slowing down and keeping a constant movement VS quickly moving then hunting around for the next move. Also, video tape yourself and take notes on where you are losing your time. I went from 1:40 averages to just under a minute in 2 days because I slowed down. Also, focus on the F2L, slow down and learn the different ways to manipulate the pieces so that you are not stuck solving in one manner, perform a search, there are a lot posts with excellent information concerning F2L and ways to improve. There is no "magic" solution or method, it comes down to deliberate practice (look at badmephisto's videos) and more practice! Lastly, experiment with different methods of turning the cube, some will work better than others for you, search "finger tricks" for more information.

TioMario

YouTube
Visit Channel
The single best piece of advice I was given by others here which made the biggest difference in my times (I am a beginner) came from slowing down and keeping a constant movement VS quickly moving then hunting around for the next move. Also, video tape yourself and take notes on where you are losing your time. I went from 1:40 averages to just under a minute in 2 days because I slowed down. Also, focus on the F2L, slow down and learn the different ways to manipulate the pieces so that you are not stuck solving in one manner, perform a search, there are a lot posts with excellent information concerning F2L and ways to improve. There is no "magic" solution or method, it comes down to deliberate practice (look at badmephisto's videos) and more practice! Lastly, experiment with different methods of turning the cube, some will work better than others for you, search "finger tricks" for more information.

I'm a beginner too, I started with Fridrich about one month ago, and now my times got stuck in ~45. That's why I'm now investigating what my flaws are. Turning accuracy looks like one of them, so I will start practising that on my storebought like Nukoca said.
I've been using this cube for 2 months and I try to think what would happen when I buy my first DIY... I will be A LOT faster (or maybe not).

chris410

I'm a beginner too, I started with Fridrich about one month ago, and now my times got stuck in ~45. That's why I'm now investigating what my flaws are. Turning accuracy looks like one of them, so I will start practising that on my storebought like Nukoca said.
I've been using this cube for 2 months and I try to think what would happen when I buy my first DIY... I will be A LOT faster (or maybe not).

You are faster than me, my best so far is only 50 seconds (the good news is when I slowed down in 2 days I went from 1:40's to a PB of 50 and avg of 55 to 58 seconds)
The problem with the DIY cubes is popping, you really have to become more precise, the only thing I can think of is working on your turns, some here have referenced PLL/OLL time attacks where you run as many algorithms as you can given a time limit. I would also suggest looking up finger tricks, there may be ways you can hold the cube that will improve your turning precision. Lastly, note when your lockups occur, do they happen with a particular algorithm? F turn, B...etc? that will help you narrow down where your problem is an focus on a solution or alternative. I wish I could help more but you are already ahead of me...sorry I can't be of more help :(

Tomk

You are faster than me, my best so far is only 50 seconds (the good news is when I slowed down in 2 days I went from 1:40's to a PB of 50 and avg of 55 to 58 seconds)
The problem with the DIY cubes is popping, you really have to become more precise, the only thing I can think of is working on your turns, some here have referenced PLL/OLL time attacks where you run as many algorithms as you can given a time limit. I would also suggest looking up finger tricks, there may be ways you can hold the cube that will improve your turning precision. Lastly, note when your lockups occur, do they happen with a particular algorithm? F turn, B...etc? that will help you narrow down where your problem is an focus on a solution or alternative. I wish I could help more but you are already ahead of me...sorry I can't be of more help :(

Wasn't the question to do with how much you should worry about lock ups rather than the "slow down and look ahead" we here from everyone on here?

chris410

Wasn't the question to do with how much you should worry about lock ups rather than the "slow down and look ahead" we here from everyone on here?

Correct which is why I suggested looking up "finger tricks" and studying where the lockups occur. In addition, the look-ahead will help with precision, the smoother you are the fewer lockups you will have, if I am wrong...feel free to correct me. If a particular face is giving him trouble, there may be a different way of turning that will help decrease his lockups (in other words, a different manner of turning the face and or holding the cube). Besides that, some people have sanded down internals/cublets to help with this as well so that is another option, perform a search and you will see the various posts concerning cube modification.

Here is a video I found that may be helpful: http://www.youtube.com/user/badmephisto#p/u/29/RdSiQQ9VSEY

Last edited:

Kyle Barry

WCA
2007BARR02
If you are at 45 seconds using Fridrich, I don't think your main problem is lockups. Just keep practicing the method for now, but obviously, on F2l, don't go as fast as physically possible on each pair.
Get a DIY at some point, that can eliminate some lockups, depending on the cube you choose. In my experience, type As lockup the least, Cs are a good balance of speed and smoothness, and Ds are very fast but lockup a lot.
Also, I'm assuming you don't use one look OLL and PLL, so I think you should just keep learning and practicing the method.
Practicing specific algorithms, as fast as you can, to help you get used to them will avoid lockups on the LL, in particular, in my opinion. Try that when you get your DIY.

TioMario

YouTube
Visit Channel
If you are at 45 seconds using Fridrich, I don't think your main problem is lockups. Just keep practicing the method for now, but obviously, on F2l, don't go as fast as physically possible on each pair.
Get a DIY at some point, that can eliminate some lockups, depending on the cube you choose. In my experience, type As lockup the least, Cs are a good balance of speed and smoothness, and Ds are very fast but lockup a lot.
Also, I'm assuming you don't use one look OLL and PLL, so I think you should just keep learning and practicing the method.
Practicing specific algorithms, as fast as you can, to help you get used to them will avoid lockups on the LL, in particular, in my opinion. Try that when you get your DIY.

Well, looks like I'm not so far from what I should be doing.
I'm always trying to perform my LL algs better and better, avoiding lockups.
(I'm so stupid... I get nervous somehow while solving and my fingers go crazy :fp).
I'm working on getting a DIY, but they are expensive :(

rubiknewbie

There are 2 ways to be fast: 1. slow and smooth and 2. fast and choppy.

Fast and choppy is only good if you have superfast turning speed. Almost all people are better with slow and smooth because not many have superfast turning speed. And I think people who do well with fast and choppy are also not too bad with lookahead.