• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

S-0, Designs of the Community (Next Puzzle Announcement!)

What should this new cube be?

• S-0 Quasar

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • S-0 Tempest

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • S-0 Stratus

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • S-0 Air

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loiloiloi

WCA
2016CLAR04
Yeah, somewhere back in this thread Sion mentioned the limiteds. This was a project that just sprung up, so many people do not know about it,so spreading news would be saying stuff like 'Hey, check out this thread:', explaining it and giving a link, just to spread awareness of this cube. Also, we are grateful for your contribution at the beginning, since it helped us improve the cube.
I definitely hope people find out about this cube :) I am sure qiyi will advertise it somehow though.

I sure do hope so. Also, I hope there will NEVER be a New Island knock-off. Also, what do you think Of Mats getting his own branch at qiyi?

It is called 'The Valk'. I know, very creative, but it is cool that they started fullout sponsoring him.

Abo

Going to address the past few posts before my update: There is still no current guarantee that this will be a mass produced product, but hopefully it will be!
Now, update from my end!
Today, I got the first full prototype 3D printed and assembled, which brought forth some issue that I couldn't have predicted form looking at individual printed pieces or the models, which then caused me to go back and make seemingly appropriate changes for another full print. However, tomorrow is my last day of school, which I use for modeling and 3D printings, plus, I fly a thousand miles away in 4 days, so the changes I made today that are to be printed will have to be the final ones for about two months most likely.
The prototype, being 3D printed, was very catchy, I had to have it super tight due to some issues involving issues I hadn't caught, and it was super, super catchy, and caps liked to fall out a bit. I altered part models to hopefully get rid of the source of all that catching, and make it so it can be looser to test with!

Oh.. still.. great that we have the first model. Do you want to share a video with me and Sion? Not here,but on the private chat thing. If that is ok of course.. Also, could I see the pieces? I might find a way to overcome the issues but I need to have a bit more details of the actual pieces. Again, Sion requested to not post any more images or details here, because qiyi does not want the idea to be stolen. About the caps... what is we made 3 bits that stick out of the cap and places for them in the center piece? 3 so that you can put it back with ease. ANyway, I need to go now. See ya!

Vexatious

Hey guys! When is this cube getting released? I'm very excited for this cube to release. It's gonna be pretty good! Also, just for fun... How much does 3D printing cost? I've heard it's pretty expensive

Eduard Khil

How much does 3D printing cost? I've heard it's pretty expensive
Actually 3D printing is pretty cheap, you could print a 3x3 only with 2-3 dollars depending on the quality of the material used and the print quality. The printer is the most expensive part of 3d printing

Well, it is still in development, and not everything is sure, so I cannot really say. Also, I do not want to spoil anything.

Abo

Hey guys! When is this cube getting released? I'm very excited for this cube to release. It's gonna be pretty good! Also, just for fun... How much does 3D printing cost? I've heard it's pretty expensive
Really can't say when, or even quite if the cube will hit mass production, and as for 3D printing, printers can cost anywhere from $1000 for a solid one, to $30,000+ for top, high end ones, that is printers, material is pretty cheap, and the amount that goes into a part, like a cube piece, is hardly anything, so printers, can be expensive, printing, quite cheap, and fairly efficient

Sion

Okay. It's been a while since I last posted here, so I felt that it was appropriate to send out an update;

I'm honestly not sure where QiYi went, and I hope they are still in it with us. So at the moment i'm not sure if we will be able to make this mass produced, although i'm absolutely still in this project and trillions of light years away from quitting.

With that said, there is a chance that the giveaway might not happen (at least for a long time), but as stated before,i'm all hands in devoted to the project, but I again don't know where QiYi went, or if they were just giving support and not really interested. I personally thing that they are rather busy with designing other puzzles, and I want to believe the latter over the former.

In the very worst case scenario, I might try to produce this here in the US, and possibly market out globally in a store bought setting.

Right now, as Abo has said, our prototype catches. A lot. we did try rounding the edges and corners, but we still have this issue. I want to come to the community for ideas of how we can fix this catching issue. So place your ideas here, and maybe we can use them to help better our designs.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay. It's been a while since I last posted here, so I felt that it was appropriate to send out an update;

I'm honestly not sure where QiYi went, and I hope they are still in it with us. So at the moment i'm not sure if we will be able to make this mass produced, although i'm absolutely still in this project and trillions of light years away from quitting.

With that said, there is a chance that the giveaway might not happen (at least for a long time), but as stated before,i'm all hands in devoted to the project, but I again don't know where QiYi went, or if they were just giving support and not really interested. I personally thing that they are rather busy with designing other puzzles, and I want to believe the latter over the former.

In the very worst case scenario, I might try to produce this here in the US, and possibly market out globally in a store bought setting.

Right now, as Abo has said, our prototype catches. A lot. we did try rounding the edges and corners, but we still have this issue. I want to come to the community for ideas of how we can fix this catching issue. So place your ideas here, and maybe we can use them to help better our designs.

I'd recommend checking the internals to see what's actually catching. It might be the stalks of the pieces, and if so, maybe you should round those off. Keep in mind it could also be related to the material you're using; 3D printer material is quite different from plastic that's usually used.

Seanliu

YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is one of my favorites on this forum - I've been lurking ever since this post came out! I'd love to help, but I can't think how. Maybe I could do a post about you on my website?

Abo

This thread is one of my favorites on this forum - I've been lurking ever since this post came out! I'd love to help, but I can't think how. Maybe I could do a post about you on my website?
Due to it being summer, I have no access to my schools 3D printers, which is where I was working on prototype and model alterations and such when communicating with Sion, so overall, this project is a little bit on-hold per se. Anyway, to what you were saying, what is your website, wanna know a little about it before you go off posting about this on there.

And also THANK YOU ALL who believe in this project and have offered some form of support to it, I am encouraged by that, as well as sorry to say that it needs to be put away for a little while essentially.

Sion

I'm going to add to what Abo said. You should all know how every day I feel motivated because of your support.

Qiyi hasn't been responsive lately. I don't want to ditch them at all, but I an starting to grow worried of their inactivity. So again, if anyone has ideas of how we can make QiYi notice the amount of effort placed into this project, or even another company, please let us know. Your support is most appreciated.

Another thing you should know is that this is the very first design Abo and I have created, and this is my very first time trying to get any of my ideas mass produced, so there is a slim chance that this might not work out. If it doesn't, I will let you all know, but I do want to know if you will give Abo and I support, despite putting all this hard effort into something that unfortunately didn't come to be. Don't say it's over yet, Abo and I are still talking of working on the cube.

I just wanted to get that update out to just let you all know what we've been doing.

Last edited:

Turn n' burn

Hello Sion and Abo,
Although a bit presumptuous to say, I have a few design ideas that I think could bring about some great performance. I have been developing my ideas in CAD with plans to produce a cube (not with the intention of mass producing it) however, I encountered a similar limitation regarding access to a 3d printer given that my only access to one is through school and I let the idea grow dusty with growing summer preoccupation. When I discovered this thread, it was greatly exciting to know that others are on a similar track. Again, I truly believe that my design ideas could be of truly valuable input. I hope that the spontaneity or sketchy nature of this post does not take away from the potential consideration of my ideas in such a project. Please consider sending me a PM.
-Adam

MoyuFTW

WCA
2015LEEA05
Sion can we see the puzzle so we can have a look at why it's catching? That would help best. If you don't want to share it publicly, just PM us and we'll try to help

Abo

One issue with the prototype is that I essentially made an issue with the total inner track radius, which affects springs and hardware, so basically, it has to be super tight which causes force on the pieces in a bad way, I also have the pieces with rounding off on some areas to put together a v2 prototype, but hadn't realized that the inner radius caused the tension issue, so yea