• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

S-0, Designs of the Community (Next Puzzle Announcement!)

What should this new cube be?

• S-0 Quasar

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • S-0 Tempest

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • S-0 Stratus

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • S-0 Air

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sion

Thanks. By no means I am an experienced designer, and I just put my ideas here to see if more experienced cubers could put their two cents into this mechanism. I appreciate your input :)

Abo

Well, that was a handful of posts to read, and either way for me, this is a fun project testing the limits of my 3D modeling abilities, and if it turns out poor, I'm totally ok with that result because it is a physical project. Also, got my yuexiao in the mail today, so can work on modeling and modifying pieces as needed now, going to try to get inventor on my laptop so I can work at home on it, which would be super useful, even tho I'm a pretty busy person right now.

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
Minimal friction: Apply lube to existing puzzles and you can easily achieve U2s, which aren't even necessary. I would recommend checking out Chris Olson's video on the "fast cubes" myth. Also, many people like friction as it can contribute to a stable cube

Slightly smaller size: I don't do OH, but I think the 0.5mm difference between your proposed cube and the 56mm Gans 356 isn't going to be radical. Most popular speedcubes come in various sizes.

They should try loosing their tensions

I have no clue which puzzles you're referencing, but I don't understand how the latest technology can be outdated. Outdated compared to what?
I see most OHers using cubes that came out in 2016

This is one thing I can get behind, it would be very useful to have a puzzle on the market that could cut extreme angles and not have "reverb". I just don't see the proof that this puzzle could achieve that.

I'd like to hear more about this in a response post. All I really heard about the internals from your OP was "A fangshI or yuexiao core could work, but again, doesn't matter as much" And that the internals are like "like the qiyi sail, And sort of based on gothic architecture" But what you're describing sounds original to me, please elaborate on this (sorry if you mentioned this in the sketch you made, I couldn't read your cursive)

How will your cube be produced cheaper?

I don't think that's up to you

Sorry for the long post, some of the ideas are good and I'd like to hear more about, but I don't see this as much more than an unfinished concept, in my opinion this would need more work to be used as a design

lol

Abo

Ok, I don't think I'll be able to work on it too much for the next 3 or so weeks, due to an AP exam and sports, and other school things stealing a lot of my time, after may 13th tho, my schedule clears up a lot, and I can defiantly work on it a lot after then, I have a basic center and cap modeled, and very rough other stuff so far, so there is my update on things

Sion

Ok, I don't think I'll be able to work on it too much for the next 3 or so weeks, due to an AP exam and sports, and other school things stealing a lot of my time, after may 13th tho, my schedule clears up a lot, and I can defiantly work on it a lot after then, I have a basic center and cap modeled, and very rough other stuff so far, so there is my update on things
Good to know. Thanks for the update!

Abo

Good to know. Thanks for the update!
No problem, today I got some time to work on it, made some progress on an edge, need to bring a cube to class for reference from now on, was hard to have things as wanted. Also, for now, I have the model as a 55mm, with the center being 19mm, and edges being 18mm, just to see how that looks in model, won't be too hard to change if it looks too weird.

Drad

An interesting thing you could do the the Edge piece is for the Torpedoes make the in the shape of a cross so it grips under the center caps so that it can never pop.

Sion

Edit: I realized the neocube is a magnet company, so I might settle on talking terms with moyu or rubiks. I might re-name the branch S0, and keep the cube name quasar.

Is anybody else excited?

Last edited:

Sion

Sorry for the double post, but this is important.

I have updated designs improving on the original sketches I drew. I will not make them public, but for anyone who is interested in seeing those sketches, just let me know, and also (sorry for the paranoid comment) promise that you will give me credit if you want to use any of my sketches for your own use. It will be deeply appreciated, and a little satisfying to know that my idea might be used to fuel other projects.

If you want to see the v2 sketches, send me a PM, I will not post them publicly until prototyping is complete.

Sion

Everyonee, great news:

Qiyi just replied, and they are going to take the info to the head of the company to see if they are interested.

Congrats everyone, this will be S-0, a designer cube line from Sion, Abo, and QiYi!

Sion

Mainly the internal mechanism.

The corners have a cone shaped stalk, compared to the yuexiao's flat with inverted round gap structure. It also has no holes near the squared off areas to lower the amount of catches.

The edge is truly a unique design, with slight resemblance to the x-man tornado. The internal edge area has two holes to minimalize friction with slice moves to make them easier to accomplish. The flat area on the external design is to increase friction externally, to avoid a more filled in, heavy feel, which I gather that a large amount of cubers do not like.

The centers are like the gans, but has a more sloped edge, and slightly more polished to make reverse feel like nothing on this cube because of the cone structure on the stalk of the corner.

I hope this helps identify this new cube more

Sion

I also chose QiYi because they were the fastest to contact me, and thus probably the most interested.

Qiyi also makes cubes that are just complete wowing factors, and also the makers of my main 3x3, the X-man tornado. Chances are if I get my other other ordered puzzles, they will all be QiYi, since they just do such a great job.

And to Qiyi, if you do come across this thread, I just want to say a big thank you for even finding interest in this. I seriously thought this cube would just be a 3d printed exclusive that can only be made for hundreds on shapeways. Then you guys came along, and the fastest to get my designs, and probably the only ones who really found an interest.

Also to you, the Speedsolving members, thank you so much for being here and supporting and cheering me on in a persuit to make a new speedcube.

Now, the real question: will the design work.