• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Running Anybody?

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello fellow speedcubers. I was wondering how many people on this forum took an interest in running, short or long distance, and, well, care about it.

But I also have a lot of questions regarding how to get faster.
I am in incoming freshman, and two years ago I'd already decided that I was going to do cross country. During middle school, I wasn't that bad at running, especially the mile, but now, I realize that I'm actually quite bad.

My mile time isn't very good (fastest being 5:44- not on a track), but it's my 5k time that I'm really worried about. It's abysmal, like 23-24 minutes. That'll surely get last place in a race.

I was just wondering whether some experienced runners could give me advice on how to get faster (I've been working hard all summer, but I've only gotten better by a minute). Should I work on speed or endurance? Should I get my mile time down? Any help is appreciated.

nlCuber22

WCA
2010CRIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm in the 8th grade and my mile is probably under 5:30 (out of practice), and I think my last 5K was a little under 19 minutes (when I was running regularly).

Thanks for the reminder, I need to start running again to prepare for track in the fall...can't do XC this year :(
All I can tell you do to is run. You'll get better eventually.

mr. giggums

WCA
2011BERN02
I'm going into 8th grade and the last time I ran a timed mile about a little less than a year ago it was about 5:57. I've got into long distance though but in 7th grade XC I was at about 9:30 ish 1.5 miles. But now that I'm going into 8th grade the race will be 2 miles and the season is about to start.

Now for Track I was on the 4x400 team and for are confrence meet (there was about 13 teams) we got 4:10 which won us the race by alot and the meet (or at least tied us the meet) Also it was 2 seconds off the meet record. [/Bragging;)]

Thompson

WCA
2008CLAR01
I did a 10k in 51 minutes and im the same age as you. it got me first place in my age group but none of my friends run long distance so I cant really compare my times to anyone i know.

Chapuunka

WCA
2010JUDD01
I like running, but I suck at it. I was gonna do some this summer to get in shape for band, but I procrastinated. Never timed my mile or anything, it's just something I do for exercise sake.

PeterNewton

I specialize in 21K, and I pretty much do 4 things to improve:
1) Long distance day (21km)
2) Speed training day (400m sprints)
3) Hill training (sprint up and down a hill)
4) Relaxed middle distance (5-10km)

When I was doing the 5km mostly a couple years ago, the best thing was 2 days of 5km, 1 day of sprints and 1 day of hills. Try it out and see how it goes. Find your own best combo.

Thompson

WCA
2008CLAR01

When I was doing the 5km mostly a couple years ago, the best thing was 2 days of 5km, 1 day of sprints and 1 day of hills. Try it out and see how it goes. Find your own best combo.

What are your times for those events? I'm especially trying to get faster at 400m. Also, have you ever done a marathon?

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ryan Reese is into that (rm 309) say hi to him in nats. He ran 3.5 miles in about 20 min in Cambridge. If anyone at nationals that wants to run with him and Felix Lee in at the night hit him up at room 309 in the hyatt.

ThatGuy

WCA
2010GUSH01
I'm not doing XC anymore but the coach got more "serious" basically: (to our varsity) OK guys 5:00 is good but all of you have to sub 4:30 now.

Micael

Premium Member
WCA
2009BOUL03
YouTube
Visit Channel

Sorry, but i LOLL! Really, get a coach. 20 words split in 4 points is not a training plan.