• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubiks vs Eastsheen

pyrotek7x7

I was planning on buying a Rubik's 4x4 and a 5x5 soon, but I'm wondering if Eastsheen cubes are SIGNIFICANTLY better.

My friend's Rubik's 4x4 is looser than heck, and pieces just pop out on their own free will. My other friend's Rubik's 5x5 is nearly impossible to turn, and it takes hours to do. >_> (About a turn every 3 seconds) I want to know, are all 4x4s loose and all 5x5s stiff? Are Eastsheens much sturdier and looser?

Thanks. :D

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Rubik's are larger pieces, which may help you turn quicker. However, Eastsheens are proven to be very quick to. You can always work in any stiff cube to make it turn. I have Eastsheen 4x4 and 5x5 and I like them both. However, I don't own any larger cubes made by Rubik's so I couldn't tell you. You decide.

annon

I had a Rubik's 4x4, but one of the center pieces broke. Before that, it had very frequent piece pops, but because of how loose it was, it turned incredibly easily.

My 5x5, however, is still extremely tight.

However, my experience is only with Rubik's big cubes, so I can only give you one side of the story.

Sniph

I've used both eastsheen and Rubik's 4x4. I prefer eastsheen. My old rubik's 4x4 constantly popped because of how damn loose it was. Just yesterday I purchased a brand new eastsheen 4x4 and 5x5 combo from huskyomega on eBay for just over $30.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There has already been a discussion about this on this forum, just look for it. Some brief points I remember about this:

Eastsheen: lighter, smaller, less pops, turns quite well after some lube and playing
Rubiks/Studio: You can cut corners (less lockups), normal colored stickers, turns really well after a lot of lube and playing

Michael Fung (expert on 4x4x4) uses Eastsheen
Frank Morris and Fr?d?rick Badie (experts on 5x5x5) use Rubiks.

Something I noticed at a couple of competitions is that younger people (sub 20) seem to prefer Eastsheen and older people (20+) seem to prefer Rubiks. This is probably because of the weight of the cube.

KoenHeltzel

WCA
2003HELT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Both Rubik's and Eastsheen 4x4's suit my cubing style pretty well, I can use both in competition and get equal times. Also I think the break-in time is pretty much the same. I'm pretty calm during my 4x4 solves though.. if you are the brute-force kind of guy, I'd say Rubik's is your pick.

For 5x5x5 I prefer the Rubik's... although they take longer to break in. Maybe I'm biased though because my hands and fingers are quite big which results in having trouble doing slice moves on the Eastsheen 5x5.

Also I've heard that the new 5x5x5 from Rubiks.com are much easier to break in because they've modified the (edge) pieces. I have not ordered a 5x5 lately though so i'm not sure how much better they are.

pyrotek7x7

I think I'll stick with Rubik's, they seem about equal by weighing what you guys said. Besides, it would be sweet to have an entire Rubik's line-up (Keychain, 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4, 5x5x5)