• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

RUBIKS. COM DIYs

Michael_Wee

LOOKING ON THE Rubiks web site i saw 4 types of DIY cubes and i wonder which is the best. i have save up about 80 USD and can probaly order a few any advice is reccomendation is welcomed. . are the new models better or the old one better. are they worth ordering from or are there any other better cubes

BTW i live in asia

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
4 Different Types? What?

They just have different types of bundles. They're all the same DIY. Like one just is the DIY, another is DIY + Lubrication, another is the DIY + stickers, ect.

People say the 2006 DIYs are better than the 2008 ones....

Cuber2112

2006 mold is the best. but i use the 2008 mold now with type d corners. my only concern is the caps which suck. just Wait for the new mold to come out

Do you know when the new mold will be out? He might have to wait a year for the new mold to come out. Am I right?

WCA
2009JOHN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
Right. My first DIY cube experience ever came in March or April of 2008. I bought some from Rubiks.com. I noticed I would pop more until the center caps were on and also if I had not worn in the cube. Then I noticed the caps would not stay on unless I glued the caps on. When I finally had a cube adjusted enough to avoid pops, the spring force was a bit too strong. So, I would break the glue to remove the caps, adjust, glue the caps, test, and repeat. Now I have so much glue caked on that the centers are raised out, making the cube ugly.

I had no idea that Rubiks.com had changed the quality of their DIYs. I had trouble understanding why some people liked them so much.

My next cubes came from puzzleproz. These cubes had center caps that stayed on, and spring tension seemed better when I set them to not pop. I was happier.

I might just try cube4you.com next for comparison. Do the center caps stay on okay on those?

jtjogobonito

WCA
2007TAMA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I absolutely love these DIYs. I got them last month and I've dropped 1.5 seconds off of my average with them. Ithink I am in love. (My best average is now 12.41 seconds.)

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I absolutely love these DIYs. I got them last month and I've dropped 1.5 seconds off of my average with them. Ithink I am in love. (My best average is now 12.41 seconds.)

Rubiks.com cubes? How do you deal with the center caps? Did you glue them permanently after tightening the screws?

This is what I did. I took some sculpting clay and actually extended the "teeth" on the caps so they stay on but you can still take them out. Very easy to do and the results are good. My caps don't fall off but i can take them out when I need to

Last edited:

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think what I saw Chris Hardwick do is take a screwdriver or a knife or something like that and push down on two sides of the centercap. This pushed some on the plastic out so that the center caps wont fall out.

Last edited:

ductape98

wait for the new mold i have a 2008. i glued the center caps on... bad idea now they wont come off and the sides became so loose they pop every solve.

Vulosity

YouTube
Visit Channel
wait for the new mold i have a 2008. i glued the center caps on... bad idea now they wont come off and the sides became so loose they pop every solve.

Never glue the caps on!!

Put a piece of paper under the caps to get the caps to stay on.

If that doen't work, try two pieces of paper.

Glueing is the last thing you want to do to get the caps to stay on!

Athefre

Never glue the caps on!!

Put a piece of paper under the caps to get the caps to stay on.

If that doen't work, try two pieces of paper.

Glueing is the last thing you want to do to get the caps to stay on!

I've never had paper work for me. The cap eventually pops off.

Yeah, never use glue (superglue). It leaves hard stuff on the cap and the place where the cap goes and makes it hard to put the cap on the next time.

WCA
2009JOHN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had trouble getting paper to work too. I tried crimping the plastic teeth a bit, but over did it, and had difficulty fixing that mistake. I gave up and glued the caps. At least one of the caps on my cubes sits out too far (due to the crimping mistake and glue buildup). One of these cubes turns fast but pops a bit; I've been wanting to adjust the screws again, but the glue buildup is too much.

Those of you using paper... Do your caps have small 1/16 inch (1mm) high teeth like mine?

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had trouble getting paper to work too. I tried crimping the plastic teeth a bit, but over did it, and had difficulty fixing that mistake. I gave up and glued the caps. At least one of the caps on my cubes sits out too far (due to the crimping mistake and glue buildup). One of these cubes turns fast but pops a bit; I've been wanting to adjust the screws again, but the glue buildup is too much.

Those of you using paper... Do your caps have small 1/16 inch (1mm) high teeth like mine?

I have those teeth. paper worked for me but still had chances of popping. So I extended those teeth with sculpting clay.