• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubiks.com DIY: Why not buy a type A?

Crzyazn

What exactly makes some people prefer this over Type As or other DIYs?

Im just generally interested, and i would like to hear some input on weight, turning speed, smoothness, poppability, etc.

Thanks

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's a different cube. All cubes are different, and you have to try them to see if you like it better. You can't base your opinions off of other's descriptions of the cube. Every persons cube is personal preference, and they like it because they have tried it.

Crzyazn

Sorry if it sounds like another generic "why is this cube better" thread

But im more interested in actual physical comparison (core,screws,springs,etc.)

pcwiz

YouTube
Visit Channel
There is a cube comparison stickied thread in the Beginner's Sub forum - it tells some pros and cons of different cubes, but doesn't go into too much detail.
http://www.speedsolving.com/showthread.php?t=1665

I have heard that Rubik's Brand center caps fall out a lot, while Chinese Ones (type a, b, c, and d) don't.

Type A DIYs are more popular than Rubik's brand ones, so people don't know too much about Rubik's brand ones.

Lately some people have been switching from Type A DIYs to Type D DIYs, or they combine the pieces together. You might want to look at Type Ds.

blgentry

One of our forum members has done a rather detailed comparison of the Rubik's DIY and the puzzleproz/cube4you DIY cubes over on the puzzleproz forums.

It's sort of long, but full of very detailed observations about both cubes. I'll give you the conclusion in case you aren't willing to read it all: The Rubik's DIY is trash compared to the Chinese made DIYs in nearly every way.

Read the full report here.

Brian.

Crzyazn

HOLY....*reads entire thing*

Thanks man, that helps out a lot

but i still don't understand all the comments about the Rubik's DIY CORE being superior to cube4you parts, when brunson's extensive review makes them seem like crap :confused: *references Harris Chan's hybrid cube*

ThePizzaGuy92

WCA
2007SEID01
YouTube
Visit Channel
FYI, the center cap problem of rubiks.com diys is easily solvable. Just take off thecap and set it on a flat surface, flat side of the cap down, and hit the cap with a hammer kind of lightly, it'll make little dents and grooves that hold it in place, unless you hit too hard, haha

Harris Chan

WCA
2007CHAN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
but i still don't understand all the comments about the Rubik's DIY CORE being superior to cube4you parts, when brunson's extensive review makes them seem like crap :confused: *references Harris Chan's hybrid cube*

I have a few hybrid cubes. They're just a name for cubes that are made up of different parts; one of mine has Type A center and store cubies; another has rubik DIY center and Type A cubies.

The rubik DIY core is a bit better than cube4you one because it's more "hard" and durable looking. But note that the Type A screws don't really fit into the rubiks DIY core (unless you screw it in really hard).

Hey, you know that Nakajima uses rubik's DIY right? :p