• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubiks brand lube

Odin

WCA
2009RODR02
YouTube
OdinTheSpeedCuber
I’ve been kind of out of cubing lately and been very inactive/enactive on the forums, but enjoyskater got me a Rubik’s diy (I think it’s a diy I can’t pop its core cap and It came assembled can any one help me with that?) any way as a gift it came with stickers and lube. The lube came in a white syringe and was very "liquid like" but the thing is: it smells like soap, looks like soap, and when I was washing my cubes to get that stuff off my cube I noticed in the tub of water there was so much bubbles and I didn’t add any soap! So what I’m saying is, is Rubik’s brand lube really soap just labeled "Rubik’s lube"?

Last edited:

aznmortalx

puzzleproz has the same lube. I got a small injector thingy of it from them and it worked great for me. Though people kept on going, "dude! Why'd you put soap on your rubik's cube???" But yeah, it works fine though I do like CRC silicone better.

jmlee337

puzzleproz has the same lube. I got a small injector thingy of it from them and it worked great for me. Though people kept on going, "dude! Why'd you put soap on your rubik's cube???" But yeah, it works fine though I do like CRC silicone better.
lol, the smell is awesome

JTW2007

BattsMan
WCA
2008WARL01
YouTube
2007JTW
I think it's furniture polish. I don't really care what it is. It's by far my lube of choice after jigaloo, CRC, silicone oil, and some other brand of silicone spray I can't remember. It gives smooth, fast turning without cutting down on responsiveness and accuracy.

Bomber

Well, since syringes are such difficult things to use I think you need a complete, in-depth tutorial on how to use one.

Step One: Remove the nozzle off the end of the syringe, don't pull the plunger or all the lubricant will spill out. Don't worry it's a common mistake.

Step Two: Pop out a piece of your cube by using the '45 degree pop' action. Now you have an edge piece in your hand you can move onto step three.
Keep the corners in the cube, you'll find out why later.

Step Three: You will notice a cavity in the edge piece you are holding, you are going to fill this 3/4 full with lubricant.
To fill, push down the plunger with your thumb whilst directing the nozzle into the cavity.

Step Four: This is the tricky bit, you have to insert the edge piece full of lubricant back into the cube without spilling any.
You may want to hold your cube upside down when doing this otherwise your lubricant will spill everywhere.

Step Five: Once your edge piece has been inserted all you have to do is work it around, turn every piece of the cube and make sure it covers the entire cube.
Lube will spill out, don't worry this can be wiped away without affecting the stickers.

All done!

Alternatively you could just spray it inside like any other silicone lubricant. The idea is to spray lubricant designed for your Rubik's Cube into your Rubik's Cube, which, obviously is a very difficult thing to comprehend.

Last edited:

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
I heard somewhere that it is the same thing as furniture polish. It seems to work pretty well though.

I can confirm that furniture polish deffo works! Just tried it today, and boy am I glad I finally found something which actually works!! Had no end of troubles trying to find a good lube. Before I found these forums I had tried:
  • Cooking oil
  • Grease (definite no no!)
  • WD40 (another no no!)
  • 3 in 1 Oil
  • Spray silicone lube (by the same ppl who make WD40)
  • Graphite Powder
The oil-based lubes were no use because it corodes the plastic, giving a sticky feel and eventually weakening the cube.
The silicone spary was OK, giving really slippy cube, but again there was a problem with stickyness.
Graphite powder was the opposite, it completely removed any stickyness, but movement felt 'rough' and not as slipy as the silicone.

Then I tried Mr Sheen Multisuface polish - supposed to work on wood, metal, glass, (and crucially) plastic. To apply it, I just twisted each slice 45 degrees, sprayed and worked it in. I then spread the slices with thin screw drivers and blasted the cube with a hair dryer - it has the effect of drying out the polish and preventing any stickyness. Now it works like a dream - Mr Sheen's the best lube ever!! :D

Slayer007

Well, since syringes are such difficult things to use I think you need a complete, in-depth tutorial on how to use one.

Step One: Remove the nozzle off the end of the syringe, don't pull the plunger or all the lubricant will spill out. Don't worry it's a common mistake.

Step Two: Pop out a piece of your cube by using the '45 degree pop' action. Now you have an edge piece in your hand you can move onto step three.
Keep the corners in the cube, you'll find out why later.

Step Three: You will notice a cavity in the edge piece you are holding, you are going to fill this 3/4 full with lubricant.
To fill, push down the plunger with your thumb whilst directing the nozzle into the cavity.

Step Four: This is the tricky bit, you have to insert the edge piece full of lubricant back into the cube without spilling any.
You may want to hold your cube upside down when doing this otherwise your lubricant will spill everywhere.

Step Five: Once your edge piece has been inserted all you have to do is work it around, turn every piece of the cube and make sure it covers the entire cube.
Lube will spill out, don't worry this can be wiped away without affecting the stickers.

All done!

Alternatively you could just spray it inside like any other silicone lubricant. The idea is to spray lubricant designed for your Rubik's Cube into your Rubik's Cube, which, obviously is a very difficult thing to comprehend.
Forgive me for this may be a noob question, but what are the pros and cons of using the lube/syringe thingo that is provided with the cube when ordered from rubik's compared to CRC or Jig-a-loo when it comes to cubing? (Excluding the convenience factor of course)

And does it actually smell like bar soap? o_o I wouldn't mind if it has a fruity tinge on it instead. That would be rather interesting.