• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Big Cube Breakages...

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just wanted to start this thread to see how many other people have problems with their big cubes breaking. I guess my reason for this, is that yesterday I got replacement pieces from cubesmith.com and after 3 solves, I broke another piece. ( x-center on my 5x5) I've also broke a bunch of centers on my 4x4, and the same thing happened the last time I got replacement pieces. So I wanted to see how many other people have had problems with their Rubik's big cubes breaking.

DanHarris

WCA
2003HARR01
Hey,

I'm afraid this is a pretty common complaint! I break 5x5x5 X-centres fairly often, and I use another 5x5x5 that was never very good for replacement parts. I also used to break 4x4x4 centres quite regularly, but with my current cube I haven't (touch wood (knocks on Arnaud's head) :) ) broken a single centre. With the 4x4x4 centres its not so bad, you can use some strong super glue to stick them back together and if you make a neat job of it will hold fairly well. But with the 5x5x5 pieces, it's not really worth it as they will break again soon and with not much effort on your part.

Dan

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I guess I knew it was a common thing. But like I haven't had a rubik's big cube to use for about 4 weeks, cause I break a center the day I get a new one. That's the only reason I was kinda annoyed.

If you ever break a cube (no matter what size it is). Always keep it. If you get another cube and that cube breaks you can use the spare parts from your old broken one for your new one.

You guys shoulds also make sure that you but silicone in your cube so that they move easier. Moving easier means less force, which means less stress on the pieces of your cube.

clincher

Hey,

I also used to break 4x4x4 centres quite regularly, but with my current cube I haven't (touch wood (knocks on Arnaud's head)
Dan

hahah man that was funny.
anyway according to amazon reviews it's a very common problem.

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have broken two center pieces on the 4x4, but nothing ever on the 5x5 (although I never use the rubik's one anymore, it pops to much).

that's a problem with the core, I think. Exocorsair had that same problem, and it's because of one of the center things. This was his problem

Last edited by a moderator:

DanHarris

WCA
2003HARR01
I have a mefferts 5x5x5, and I replaced the core with a 3x3x3 DIY core, and changed the springs for slightly longer ones. I now have spring tension very much like a 3x3x3, I am hoping that it will make for a great 5x5x5 but at the moment I am still searching for one more screw to complete it (unfortunately one of them snapped when I was disassembling it). As in that video above, before although there were springs, there was absolutely no "springiness" in the axles at all.

jonny guitar

So people have had success with superglue on Rubik's 4x4 centers?? I have a broken center on mine (1982-2007 and first break). I am hoping to glue it so I don't have the dilemna of buying a single center from cubesmith versus buying a whole new cube and having lots of extras. Revenges in Canada are a lot more than in the States because Toysrus and Amazon don't carry them up here.

Radu

Premium Member
WCA
2009FACI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have broken two center pieces on the 4x4, but nothing ever on the 5x5 (although I never use the rubik's one anymore, it pops to much).

that's the same for me. i broke a few centers of 4x4x4. but the 5x5x5 i have works great. it's a new rubik. and i haven't had any problems with it. it has become a little more loose but it's ok like this

for the 4x4x4, i actually don't like none the older one nor the new logo one. the outer edges get stuck form time to time..and i hate that

btw..i don't lube it right out the box. i have now a new 4x4x4 and plan to play with it one more month before lubing. i think it's better like this.

oh..and the super glue worked also for me for the broke centers

jonny guitar

oh..and the super glue worked also for me for the broke centers

excellent news.

btw..i don't lube it right out the box. i have now a new 4x4x4 and plan to play with it one more month before lubing. i think it's better like this.

+1....never lube right away. It is sometimes hard holding off lubing her up but the wait is always worth it.

i've only broke a 4x4 before it was siliconed. I kept the broken cube and got a new 4x4. Siliconed that and never had any breaks, although it pieces pop a lot. I did the same for my 5x5. No pops or pieces breaking. They are both rubik's cube brand cubes.

jonny guitar

Well the crazy glue held up for about 15 solves and then the peices seperated....worth a try but didn't work for me.