• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Roux ~ do you have color neutrality?

Roux solvers, how color neutral are you?

• 1 block ~ always the same, not color neutral

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 2 blocks

• 4 blocks

• 8 blocks

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • 9 or more

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 2 or more blocks (as above) but mostly use the same one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jlvs2run

If so, why did you learn it, and how does it help you?

I tried a new (cn2) block as a break from doing the same one, and was surprised the time was reasonable, though it took much longer than usual. A couple of days later, the new block times are approaching those of the previous one. Having two choices can have some benefits in addition to first moves.

For example, sometimes I've made a SB mistake which has messed up the FB, switched sides to correct it, and wasn't used to the switch. Now this won't be an issue anymore. Another benefit is better pair recognition, which is already happening.

Now that I've started, how far should I go, and still get benefits from the time invested? I can see going to 4 blocks, by keeping the same top and using any side for FB, but am not sure yet if I'll do it. What are your ideas about Roux and color neutrality?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
TDM028
The most common thing to do is any four colours on L/R (e.g. red/blue/orange/yellow), and any of two colours on U/D (usually white/yellow). This gives you eight possible first blocks. This ensures you can use any pre-made pair! It's not much more work than only having four FBs; it's equivalent to being dual-CN with CFOP.