• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rochester/Buffalo, NY Competition?

QuinnHyatt

Hi guys!

As many people in this area know, the only 'local' competition is Cornell Open Spring, and that's well.... at Cornell. A good distance from the Greater Rochester Area.

I was looking to *hopefully* start an annual competition right here in the area; I asked around a Facebook group I'm in, and someone said that holding an unofficial competition first would help get used to it and sort of show that we could handle the event.

That's why I'm here! Would anyone be interested in helping make this a reality?

Thanks all,

Quinn Hyatt

Anubis

i live in east rochester so this would be great! there is a strong cubing presence at the R.I.T so that would help... even some yoyoers speed cube too (like myself.) and since no one seems to care about a local club this would really help!

QuinnHyatt

I was a part of the RIT Rubik's Cube club! There are many people in the Rochester area alone that would be interested in this. I just don't know where to start, and I could definitely use some help!

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I want to bump this thread. Anyone interested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you actually want to do one, find a venue, and talk to a delegate. They'll help you.

And as far as an unofficial comp goes, there's no reason IMO. Do a small comp, 50 people or something like that, if you'd like.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
If you actually want to do one, find a venue, and talk to a delegate. They'll help you.

And as far as an unofficial comp goes, there's no reason IMO. Do a small comp, 50 people or something like that, if you'd like.
I don't know how it works in the US and I guess it varies from delegate to delegate, but I would prefer an organiser who hasn't been to a competition before to either travel to a competition or try holding an unofficial one first before I commit to travelling far to delegate a comp.

Also, for a cube club, it is so easy to just get a bunch of people together with some timers, print some Tnoodle scrambles, and hold a small unofficial competition.

@Anubis
Definitely contact the delegate though because even if they do insist you hold an unofficial comp first they will probably want see how you handle things, and will have advice about how to run things. And you never know, some delegates do agree to delegate comps for inexperienced organisers.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello Anubis,

I actually live in New York, and I can work things out for you if you'd like to one day organize.
We can put you on staff at a local competition and see how you perform!

Anubis

Hello Anubis,

I actually live in New York, and I can work things out for you if you'd like to one day organize.
We can put you on staff at a local competition and see how you perform!

Yeah, that would be great, otherwise I have no idea how to contact a delegate

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh yeah, defenintly go to a comp first if you haven't been to one, and judge/help out in what ever way a lot. But if you have a good organizational mind, then just talk to a delegate. I went to one competition before organizing my first of three.

Anubis

I am a delegate, so you can communicate to me. :)

Yeah, I've never been to a competition, but I have organized a (yoyo ing) comp before, the way the community is set up is very familiar to our own right here. I'd like to staff the competition as well.