• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Returning to cubing after 5-year(ish) hiatus! | Going to a competition again! | COLL and Color Netural?!

Bh13

WCA
2013HOPP01
Updates for this week:
Mostly focused on 3-5 this week, really enjoying these cubes right now
For 3x3, not much improvement time-wise, but then again I haven't done a huge number of timed solves, so it could just be a matter of not having enough data to go off of. Got a couple of sub-9 singles this week which was neat, I'm hoping to get a PB single sometime soon, might be a little while though considering it's 7.66 and I've only gotten one or two sub-8 singles since getting back into cubing. Fingers crossed though.
I've messed around a bit with some color neutral solves just for fun, I really enjoy solving CN even if I'm not as fast. Seriously debating switching to pure CN after this upcoming competition though... we'll see what happens.
I've also decided I'm going to learn full COLL, I know it might not be the best use of my time or necessarily the most efficient way of improving speed, but I really like the sub-step and want to become proficient at it. Current goal is to learn ~10 algs per week, right now I've got about ten under my belt. So theoretically I'll have full COLL learned within about three weeks. We'll see if that happens.
4x4: Just working on becoming more and more proficient with Yao, I'm hovering right around the 1-minute mark right now. Biggest things I've been working on are transitions from the different stages and lookahead during these transitions.
5x5: Mostly just solving, have gotten my average down to the high 1:40s. I think my goal for the next few months would be to get sub-1:30.
Other than that I haven't focused on a lot this week, I've been super busy lately with work and other commitments so sadly not as much time for cubing :(
That's it for this week, thanks for reading!

Bh13

WCA
2013HOPP01
Updates for the last week (and a half)
The Denxnver competition yesterday went very well! I ended up getting a PR in everything except 3x3 and 4x4.
Overall I was happy with everything, I missed cutoff for clock and 7x7 so I wasn't able to get an official average for those sadly :( Did get official singles though, so I'm happy with that.
I'm going to be attending northern Colorado Cubing 2022, so over the next month I think I will be mostly spending time focusing on the events for that, which are pyra, mega, 2-4, and skewb. I also have some time goals for most of those events, and I think I will be deciding what algorithm sets/methods I want to learn over the next week or so.
2x2: I would really like to get an official sub-4 average, I'm sure I could get there with Ortega, but I've also been wanting to learn EG-1 for a while now, so maybe this is the perfect opportunity for that.
3x3: I think it would be really cool to get a PR color-neutral. I've been really starting to practice green cross now that Denxnver has passed, and it seems like I'm making a pretty good amount of progress on it. Sub-12 official average would be nice. I've also learned all of the H and Pi COLL cases now, so I've been spending a good chunk of time working on recognition and fingertricks. Probably going to hold off on learning any new cases until it feels like I have the current ones really under my belt.
4x4: really my only goal is a PR average, which would be sub-53. I think with a bit of intentional practice I could get there, I feel like I'm almost completely familiar with Yao at this point, including all of the different combinations of edge pairing outside of the standard 3-2-3
Megaminx: Again, I really would like to just get a PR average, which would be sub-1:30. I've learned all of the edge permutation and orientation cases for 4LLL,, as well as about half of the corner permutation cases, so I think it would be completely reasonable to learn full 4LLL by the competition.
Pyraminx: I really want an official sub-5 average. I think if I really intentionally work on quick recognition of all the L4E cases I could get there - I already have them all learned, it's just becoming comfortable at this point.
Skewb: Hoping for a sub-10 average. This is the event I probably care about the least at this comp though, so if that doesn't happen I won't be too bummed.
I also ordered some new cubes from the Cubicle; I'm slowly but surely updating my 5-year old cube collection :p. I got the RS3 M 2020, X-Man Bell magnetic pyraminx, QiYi QiHeng Megaminx (I didn't like the colors or piece design on the YuHu), and some DNM-37. I'm looking forward to seeing how much these cubes are upgrades from my current mains.
That's pretty much it for this week! Thanks for reading!

Bh13

WCA
2013HOPP01
Updates for the last two weeks:
The past two weeks have been pretty busy for me, hence the lack of an update post last week.
I'm starting to really focus in on Mega and Pyra, I've learned essentially full 4LLL for Mega, just missing a few cases for corner orientation, but I have a pretty good understanding of which algorithm sequences are needed to solve those. Average for Mega is starting to drop pretty steadily, I'm in the high 1:30s to low 1:40s most solves, I'm hoping to get consistently sub-1:30 by March 12th
For Pyra, I've just been mainly grinding solves. I've gotten a couple of sub-5 ao5s, which is super neat. Gaining familiarity with L4E cases again is going pretty smoothly as well. Overall average is mid to high 6 right now, hoping to bring that down to low 5/high 4 by March 12th.
3x3: I've been doing a mix of things - working on efficiency with COLL cases I know, color neutral solves in my untimed sessions, and focusing on green cross familiarity have been my main focuses over the past couple weeks.
Skewb, 4x4, and 2x2 are on the backburner for now, I do want to learn at least enough algs for skewb to be consistently sub-10 by March 12th, and I'm shooting for sub-4 2x2. I'm not going to learn any EG algs for 2x2, just Ortega is all I have time for right now.
I would really like to start working on 3BLD, but I don't think I'll do that until after my Northern Colorado 2022, as I don't have enough time to practice all the events for that comp and get gud at 3BLD.
That's about it for this week! Thanks for reading!