• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Request for a new sub-forum

Do you think that there should be a new sub-forum for "race to sub-x on y" threads

• Yes

Votes: 70 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Doesn't make a difference

Votes: 11 12.6%

• Total voters

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
In the last few weeks, there has been a number of new "race to sub-x on y" threads appearing across the forum, in addition to the original ones. I think that maybe there should be a new sub-forum for this because it is hard to find the relevant one sometimes and also it would be a good way to keep track of them for the posters and people running the thread.
Please vote on the poll if you agree, disagree, or don't really mind.

Last edited:

CubicNL

WCA
2011WILD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it isn't a bad idea, but also I think are too less race threads for getting a complete sub-category.
Besides that, I don't know if you get enough people to agree with you.

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Adding a new sub forum is a terrible idea. Not enough traffic to keep it moving.

Newbies can't OH forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
At first I saw this thread title, and I thought, "Well, I'd better go over there and vote against whatever they're suggesting, since sub-forums are almost always a bad idea." Then I actually read the post, and I think it's a good idea. It should be a sub-forum, like "Member Introductions" is in "Off-Topic Discussion", as a sub-forum to "Weekly Forum Competitions". The standard weekly competitions have a long-standing history and are run like clockwork, so they need to be kept separate from the race threads, I think, but it's clear that the race threads are really doing quite well - many of them have been running for many weeks rather consistently and successfully.

@Kirjava: It's clear that a race threads sub-forum would have much more traffic than the current sub-forums ("Buy, Sell, Trade" and "Member Introductions") (if you count posts and not threads) - currently the race threads must exceed the traffic of those sub-forums by what, 10 to 1 or something? And it serves a purpose. Sometimes a race can fall off on interest for a few days, and disappear from the recent threads, becoming hard to find, but if they were all in one place, it would be easy to find it again. I think this makes a lot of sense. And as a "sub-forum", it's not like it clutters the Forums page - it's just a line item at the bottom of "Weekly Forum Competitions". It's really just a way to group them so they're easy to find. I don't see who or what this hurts. I know there won't be many threads, but the threads that are there will have lots of traffic. Why not do this?

Micael

Premium Member
WCA
2009BOUL03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just created one this week and thought it would fit in "Weekly Forum Competitions" or in "Blindfold Cubing", but then realized those races are mostly in "Off-Topic Discussion" and there is only the so-called weekly comp in "Weekly Forum Competitions". It seemed to me that "Weekly Forum Competitions" was reserved for that well known hebdomadal competition. I think it is currently not clear where to create those threads, because it is not really "Off-Topic Discussion" as it is definitely cubing oriented.

Last edited:

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
it'd be better to move the threads into the weekly comp forum instead of creating a new subforum

maybe rename it to 'forums comps' or something

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I still don't get it - what does a sub-forum hurt? If both of you guys (Kirjava and David) are against it, I'm sure there's something that it hurts, but I don't see what it is, and I'd love to be informed.

A sub-forum has a couple more advantages:
1. It reduces the clutter in the main forum it's in now. If you leave it where it is, it would unclutter the Off-Topic forum. (The "Member Introductions" threads don't show up in the main Off-Topic page, so it removes clutter.) If you move it to the weekly comps, it would unclutter that forum.
2. If someone new joins Speedsolving.com and discovers the races and decides they like them, they'll have an easy time finding all of them so they can join more. Subscribing to threads can help some things, but it can't help this.