• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Reduction vs K4 vs Yau

DrJorge

The 4x4 method battle. Reduction vs K4 vs Yau, i understand that one is no faster than the other, but which one do you like the best/which one is faster for you and why.

Last edited:
WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use Yau mainly and I like it a lot. However, K4 is by far the coolest (although this is technically only personal opinion) and I've been messing around with it a bit recently. Just unfortunate that I suck at ELL and don't know all the CLLs :). I've also been doing a sort of hybrid of the two which is fun, and it actually seems to work not too badly, considering how bad hybrids usually are.

bwronski

I don't see Yau as its own method, it is more of a variation in redux or doing redux differently. You still reduce to a 3x3 but once our done you have some edges in place already. But the OP, I think they are equal, depending on your preferences or styles, should depend on what you choose as your method.

speedex

WCA
2010SURY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
IMO reduction was the fastest as they only got 4 simple step(center,pairing,3x3,parity if there is any) which able to executed really fast. and actually i am sucks at 4 center part of yau and k4 :p

Cool Frog

Fastest:K4
Most enjoyable: usually K4, except when I use another method and see what I can force.
I like the 1-3-4 extension
I really enjoy k4 on 5x5, The LL is quite intresting.
(OMG 3 look ELL on 6x6, was like wtffun)

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Yau
Centres: 25
Edges: 10-15
333-cross: 20-25
Total: 55-65 (my official times are a good indication of what I usually get, 48 single, 60 average.)

People, post your breakdowns. Also I got a 44 single today with just 4 edges to pair. I have had similar luck, and even better with Yau before.

Last edited:

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
K4's big weakness is the F3L movecount, even though the lookahead is great in that part.

lol are you sure 'bout dat? I've always seen F3L as K4's greatest strength with the 1x3x4 being the biggest weakness. Also movecount seems to be either about the same or slightly lower than redux. Maybe you're not using cancellations and other tricks?

My best avg12 with K4 is 47.xx atm, and I average about 65 with redux or yau. I think I can push down to ~45 when I go back to practising it.