• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Redi Cube Discussion & Help Thread

Perhaps I've missed it in an earlier post, but does anybody have tips (or a video?) on modding the redi cube to make it less catchy?

There was this on page 3

I disassembled the cube until only the screws and centre bases were left on, then i got some pliers and cut of around half a centimetre off of the three sticky outy bits(the ends of the traingular centre base) on each base (24 in total). After reassembling there was a lot less catching than before.

Reed Merrill

Perhaps I've missed it in an earlier post, but does anybody have tips (or a video?) on modding the redi cube to make it less catchy?
There is definitely another part of the mechanism that cause a lot of catching too (the ridges coming off of each corner that each surround one side of each edge piece). I tried the mod posted on pg 3, but it only gave small gains. Hopefully Qiyi comes up with their own version to compete, and hopefully it's less catchy :D

Last edited:

Reed Merrill

@Tabe yeah loosening helps a lot too, but over shooting is the main cause of my lock-ups so I have found it's better to keep the puzzle slow because it cuts under-shooting way better than over shooting. Just a general observation. Has anyone else adjusted their solves to compensate for the lack of reverse cutting? I just try to avoid doing reverse corner cutting because it basically doesn't work.

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys, it's me, Shiv3r.
Haven't been on in a few months, but I'm back.
I just got a redi cube, and after learning the LBL approach(intuitively, with the middle pieces+corners simultaneously).
I haven't really timed any solves soon, but I will eventually, I hope to help pioneer both speed and method development.
the cube is awesome, and I don't think I'll put it down for a while.

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
sorry for double post, but this discussion seems pretty dead. so kinda bump.
Also question: chris VanDerBrink does some weird stuff in his UWR average, does anyone have any Ideas what he actualy does? to me it seems like he does layer-side layer, but leaves out the U-layer edge of the second layer so you can do it faster I guess? I don't know, but whatever it is it seems super efficient and I want to learn it.
also how much do you want to cut off when you mod the corner pieces? any benchmark/reference point? or is it all arbitrary?

Draranor

Premium Member
WCA
2016REIC01
I got my overall PB single while competing yesterday with either a 13 or 14; can't quite remember. Ended up getting like a 30 average because I had a counting 19