• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Your Parents and Cubing

cuberswoop

WCA
2022FROU01
and they think that cause cubing wont help me in my future career

stop and do something else useful
Good Lord, why can't parents just let their kids have fun. Does it matter that it doesn't help them in the future (I would argue it does help them in the future, e.g: Dexterity, memory)?

Kid: *cubing*
Parent: Go do something useful for once, cubing won't help you in the future.
Also Parent: Time on phone a day > time with child a day (google it).
Kid: *Sad noises because of rejection*
Also also parent: I wonder why my kid is depressed.

WCA
2022TAND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does your family like anything you do or just hate cubing...lol

I ask cause maybe your happy when you cube and sometimes family can compete with other family members happiness and disguse it as concern!?
they just hate cubing.
Do you play video - games? If you do you could argue that it's better than that. Some other thing include improving your muscle memory and just normal memory I guess.
Nope I don’t play video games. I have screen time limits every day
My parents are the complete opposite! I spend a decent bit of time playing video - games every week and they say that cubing is a far better hobby than games and actually incourage me to cube more lol. I only cube for max an hour a day, some days I don't even cube at all.
Lucky for you
1. Better than video games
2. Always (hopefully) learning new techniques
3. The community!
4. It's a hobby (again, hopefully not a career or something), so it should be fun, and it will not be your entire life.

My parents don't mind me cubing too much, but these are some things I thought of.

Edit: I think we should have more than 2 options, maybe an "on the fence", and "ok with it", and "slightly bothered by it" could be added?
I have tried all these reasons, it doesn’t work

furthermore, they use cubing as an excuse to scold me.:(

Hazel

Premium Member
Hey there, my whole family does not cube except for me. They hate cubing. they complain that i waste too much time and money on cubing and they think that cause cubing wont help me in my future career. Does this happen to y’all? How do I come up with reasons to convince them that cubing is good for me?
My dad even said that i might get RSI repeated strain injury from cubing. I only spend about 3-4 hours a day on cubing, since now its the holidays for me.
Cubing is a cool skill, and I've even heard of people getting jobs in part because the interviewer was impressed by their solving ability. But overall, it's not a "life skill" or something that will kickstart a career—but it doesn't need to be. The point of hobbies is to be an enjoyable pastime, they don't have to be particularly useful to be fulfilling and worthwhile. Do your parents expect you to spend all your free time building businesses, looking into careers, or otherwise earning money? Your profile says you're 12 years old, so your parents having the expectation that you shouldn't spend your free time having fun—as a kid should do—is ridiculous. As long as you aren't cubing so much that your grades and/or social life suffer as a result, and you use your own money on cubes, there's no harm.

You don't need to have good reasons to cube. It's fun, and it's a hell of a lot better than some other things you could be spending your time doing—like selling drugs or getting involved in gangs—and I think your parents should be proud that your #1 hobby is something that expands your brain and keeps you away from the screen. I doubt anything I've said here will convince them, but I hope that at least you understand that they're being absurd.

(As for the RSI point, that isn't something that commonly happens to cubers, even those who solve much more frequently than you. It happens to some people, but as long as you take breaks when your hands get sore and don't push yourself, you'll be fine.)

Imsoosm

My mom always thinks that cubing is a waste of time and "It won't even help you in the future, so why even waste your time on it now?" So I don't get to buy new cubes (I won't be able to anyway, at least not now), especially better cubes than the ones I have now, or new events. Whenever I suggest buying some new cubes to my parents, they'll say, "You already have so many cubes, why do you even need any more? Seems like a waste of money to me."

WCA
2022TAND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
My mom always thinks that cubing is a waste of time and "It won't even help you in the future, so why even waste your time on it now?" So I don't get to buy new cubes (I won't be able to anyway, at least not now), especially better cubes than the ones I have now, or new events. Whenever I suggest buying some new cubes to my parents, they'll say, "You already have so many cubes, why do you even need any more? Seems like a waste of money to me."
Same!!! ITs so frustrating.
Cubing is a cool skill, and I've even heard of people getting jobs in part because the interviewer was impressed by their solving ability. But overall, it's not a "life skill" or something that will kickstart a career—but it doesn't need to be. The point of hobbies is to be an enjoyable pastime, they don't have to be particularly useful to be fulfilling and worthwhile. Do your parents expect you to spend all your free time building businesses, looking into careers, or otherwise earning money? Your profile says you're 12 years old, so your parents having the expectation that you shouldn't spend your free time having fun—as a kid should do—is ridiculous. As long as you aren't cubing so much that your grades and/or social life suffer as a result, and you use your own money on cubes, there's no harm.

You don't need to have good reasons to cube. It's fun, and it's a hell of a lot better than some other things you could be spending your time doing—like selling drugs or getting involved in gangs—and I think your parents should be proud that your #1 hobby is something that expands your brain and keeps you away from the screen. I doubt anything I've said here will convince them, but I hope that at least you understand that they're being absurd.

(As for the RSI point, that isn't something that commonly happens to cubers, even those who solve much more frequently than you. It happens to some people, but as long as you take breaks when your hands get sore and don't push yourself, you'll be fine.)
thanks for the idea! Will try.

WilsonFang

My key advice is DO NOT try to argue or reason with your parents. It simply won't work. It's probably better to just keep doing what u think is the right thing to do, and live a good life. As time flies if your parents see that u are doing well (getting good grades, making reliable friends etc.), their attitudes would change automatically.

kubesolver

Premium Member
Cubing is a useless skill but so is 90% of what you learn at school.

The most important thing one can get from school are meta skills. And those you can also get from cubing.
- you learn that a seemingly complex and difficult thing can be learned
- you learn how to divide a complex, incomprehensible challenge into smaller steps, each of which can be solved separately
- you can get experience on what practice techniques work. Cubing is really great for that because of a very short feedback cycle

Tecknet

Yes RSI is wayy more common with gamers and atheletes, cubing doesn't really require much physical exertion, I say that but I can't solve a Megaminx 5 times without getting tired