• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Quick question about Megaminx Scramble Program

DavidCalvo

While I'm generating the scrambles for the Spanish Championship, a question has invaded myself:

Is it possible to generate all the possible Megaminx Possitions with the Scrambling Program? I assume that the answer is yes thanks to Stefan, Jaap and Clement... but how could it be proven?

hawkmp4

That's correct: For a quick proof that we can't generate all the possible states, consider that there are 70 moves in the scramble. Each move has one of two possibilities (++/ -- or U/U'). That's 2^70 = 1.18059162 × 10^21 different scrambles (which may not produce that many unique states) whereas the number of states on a Megaminx is roughly 1.01 x 10^68. In other words, the scrambler program can at most generate about 1.700 x 10^-45 percent of the total number of Megaminx states.