• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Questions about ELL and COLL

hkpnkp

what are coll and ell algorithms? are they better than normal oll and pll?
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
what are coll and ell algorithms? are they better than normal oll and pll?

The wiki has the answers to COLL and ELL, although you're probably actually looking for CLL, not COLL. "Better" is a matter of personal preference, but the fact that OLL and PLL are far more commonly used, even by the most experienced cubers, says a lot.

Czery

WCA
2010QIUB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
COLL and ELL are alternatives to OLL and PLL. Both solve the LL.
COLL solves the corners in one alg while preserving the orientation of the edges.
ELL then solves the edges directly.

It is generally agreed that OLL/PLL is easier to recognize and has more developed algs. When using OLL/PLL you are also more likely to get a skip.
I personally do not know anyone who uses COLL/ELL.

Edit; OAQT pls

Edit2: actually couldn't you have just looked it up on the wiki? it's a great source (although incomplete)

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
This answer is misleading. If your edges start out oriented and you use COLL to preserve EO then you only need EPLL to finish and have a better chance of a skip. If your edges aren't oriented then CLL/ELL instead. And yes that info is probably on the wiki somewhere...

rj

WCA
2015PLAT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
The wiki has the answers to COLL and ELL, although you're probably actually looking for CLL, not COLL. "Better" is a matter of personal preference, but the fact that OLL and PLL are far more commonly used, even by the most experienced cubers, says a lot.

Although many experienced cubers will know COLL for cases where their top cross is solved, whereby increasing the chances of a PLL skip.

Czery

WCA
2010QIUB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Eh? That makes no sense. What I pointed out is that if your edges aren't pre-oriented you wouldn't use COLL. If they are pre-oriented, you wouldn't use ELL.

Sorry, let me clarify.

You are right. It is more advantageous to learn COLL and CLL; however, I assumed that hkpnkp only intended to learn COLL for some reason.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry, let me clarify.

You are right. It is more advantageous to learn COLL and CLL; however, I assumed that hkpnkp only intended to learn COLL for some reason.
You still don't get the point. Sensible combinations are COLL/EPLL or CLL/ELL (or better still, OLL/PLL). Not COLL/ELL as you advised above. Learning both COLL and CLL seems overkill.

OP should ignore this thread and read the OAQT where helpful answers were provided by people who know what they're talking about.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
does mats valk and feliks zemdegs use coll and ell?
Dude, read the thread. Nobody uses COLL and ELL together. Look at reconstructions of Mats' and Feliks' solves and you will see that they use OLL/PLL, mostly.

As you're a beginner, just focus on the basics first.

Last edited:

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Feliks uses COLL (and even ZBLL) occasionally.

There's no definite answer whether COLL+ELL is better than OLL+PLL. It depends on the solve. COLL is great to use when you already have the "cross edges" of the last layer oriented after F2L, and especially you have an easy case. It's also better to use COLL for big cubes and OH because it helps to force a nicer PLL, even if it costs several moves when you're doing the last slot.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Care to explain how? I assume you mean either EPLL is a subset of ELL, or you can use COLL algs as a sub-optimal CLL when you don't care about EO. Both of which are technically true, but pedantry doesn't make it any clearer an answer to the OP's question, in which it was unclear whether s/he was referring to COLL/EPLL or CLL/ELL.