• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Questionable wca regulations

ORTEGA

The most important thing in a comp is that everyone gets the same chances obviously and in blind there's something that goes kinda against that.
When lifting the cover, your cube can be in any given orientation while commonly in blind methods everybody has one and only orientation ( color neutral blind might be a thing but...). So sometimes your hear a cuber say " I had good luck it was directly in the orientation I like".
I would like for the blind events with fixed centers to see it change so you can inform your judge which orientation you like or the scrambler even.
I don't know how practical it would be and we might need some regulated notations for it like :
Y for yellow
W for white
R for Red
G for Green
B for Blue
O for Orange
and then you put it up like this: G-W => Green front and White Top
I know there are custom colored and scheme cubes so it would be a bit difficult.

GenTheThief

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The most important thing in a comp is that everyone gets the same chances obviously and in blind there's something that goes kinda against that.
When lifting the cover, your cube can be in any given orientation while commonly in blind methods everybody has one and only orientation ( color neutral blind might be a thing but...). So sometimes your hear a cuber say " I had good luck it was directly in the orientation I like".
I would like for the blind events with fixed centers to see it change so you can inform your judge which orientation you like or the scrambler even.
I don't know how practical it would be and we might need some regulated notations for it like :
Y for yellow
W for white
R for Red
G for Green
B for Blue
O for Orange
I know there are custom colored and scheme cubes so it would be a bit difficult.
Why limit it to the blind events? If I got my cube given to me in my preferred orientation in any event that would save me a second in inspection and possible let me inspect further. What about in 4BLD? There are no set centers but some people would get lucky and gave more pieces solved in their given orientation.

While it may seem unfair that some people get lucky, because everyone has the same chance of getting their preferred orientation, this is an unnecessary change that only adds extra work to the competition staff. In addition, think about the logistical mess that would occur if someone didn't get their cube in their preferred orientation --you would have to verify that the cube wasn't in the orientation in the first place and that the competitor hadn't simply done a rotation if they picked it up, and then give them an extra. Think about how easy that would be to abuse, for example you saw some twisted corners you could tap the cube for a y rotation and then complain that it wasn't in your preferred orientation. You would get an extra attempt and avoid a bad scramble. That sounds like a massive hassle just to equalize a rotation that takes 0.5 seconds.

Sajwo

WCA
2012SZEW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Y for yellow
W for white
R for Red
G for Green
B for Blue
O for Orange

It used to be like that for years. You could request your cube to be placed in a specific orientation in all BLD events including MBLD. They switched to random orientation around 2013. I do not agree with you that not everyone get the same chances though, because you could always be color neutral. Don't know how hard it would be in 3BLD, but I don't think it should even matter.