• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Question for sub-20 cubers

Zarxrax

If you solve the cube without looking ahead, how badly does it hurt your times?
For instance, if you do an average of 12 while forcing yourself to look at what you are solving, rather than constantly trying to look ahead, how does this compare to your normal times?

I'm not trying to make any statement here about the importance of looking ahead, I'm just genuinely curious.

dunpeal2064

WCA
2009WHIT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
This seems like a reasonable question. I've thought about this as well, although the question in my head was more like, "I wonder how fast Feliks would be if he was lazily solving the cube?" because I know I gain a good second or two when I am really focused.... alas, I am not quite sub20 yet, my best avg100 is 25.

Parity

I normally AVG 18 seconds.Without look ahead I get about 25-27.

DAE_JA_VOO

Yeah, seems like a valid question. I'll do an average now and give you the results.

EDIT:

Alright, my regular average is sub-20, usually somewhere between 18.5 and 20 seconds. My non-look ahead average of 5 is 24.04. That's a pretty huge difference. It was pretty tough to NOT look ahead, so I actually stopped looking at the cube every time I'd found the corner and it's edge, and only looked once they were basically paired up.

Last edited:

vgbjason

I don't really think I could speedsolve a cube neglecting look ahead. We're talking something like thirty-five seconds, maybe? I don't really work at look ahead, so solving without look ahead would be like examining the cube, covering it, doing whatever to it, and then examining the results.

cincyaviation

WCA
2010HOVL02
i'm not sub 20 but it seems like a good way to measure this would be to close your eyes whenever you are moving the cube, and then open them to find the next pair, then insert that pair without looking, because if you are sub 20 then it takes little time to see how you are going to insert the pair and it completely takes away the ability to lookahead

WCA
2010MINE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i'm not sub 20 but it seems like a good way to measure this would be to close your eyes whenever you are moving the cube, and then open them to find the next pair, then insert that pair without looking, because if you are sub 20 then it takes little time to see how you are going to insert the pair and it completely takes away the ability to lookahead

putting the cube close to my eyes makes me dizzy

whauk

WCA
2008KARL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
ok i just did 14.08 average of 5 without looking ahead and 12.82 with looking ahead and 14.96 with this eyeclosing thingy...
as i realised today you do not need to turn fast anytime. just turn calmly. then you look ahead automatically and it will get better without doing anything else

rubiknewbie

I think sub-20 people already have lookahead in their blood so they cannot solve without looking ahead.

I am not sub-20 so I can still appreciate the difference between lookahead and no lookahead. The difference is big, like 10-15 sec. In the few times I did sub-20 there is absolutely no way I can do it without lookahead throughout.