• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Quest to learn full ZBLL [SUSPENDED]

Will I learn full 1LLL?

• Yes

• No

• Ya Stupid

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You should really learn more than one alg per day. If you genuinely like learning algs, it should be in your interest to get good at it. Learning to do 12 or 24 a day is very doable with practice, and ZBLL is a great set to use for this practice.

Also, as I mentioned before, I think it's a bad idea to learn algs in isolation. Being able to distinguish cases from similar ones is an important part of learning algs and you may find you don't quite learn to do this if you just learn one a day.

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
You should really learn more than one alg per day. If you genuinely like learning algs, it should be in your interest to get good at it. Learning to do 12 or 24 a day is very doable with practice, and ZBLL is a great set to use for this practice.

Also, as I mentioned before, I think it's a bad idea to learn algs in isolation. Being able to distinguish cases from similar ones is an important part of learning algs and you may find you don't quite learn to do this if you just learn one a day.
by this point if you have learned full oll/pll and multiple ZBLLS you could do a set per day even
I recommend trying to do 1 (or almost 1)set per day and getting the muscle memory/memo down better the next day and than use the rest of that day to learn another set. its gonna take over a year to learn ZBLL and multiple years to learn 1LLL if you do 1 alg per day.
dam i didnt even see that posts above 10.17 years jeez.

LukasCubes

YouTube
Visit Channel

well i do have alot of freetime so maybe i could try since next week i dit have school at all.
by this point if you have learned full oll/pll and multiple ZBLLS you could do a set per day even
I recommend trying to do 1 (or almost 1)set per day and getting the muscle memory/memo down better the next day and than use the rest of that day to learn another set. its gonna take over a year to learn ZBLL and multiple years to learn 1LLL if you do 1 alg per day.
dam i didnt even see that posts above 10.17 years jeez.
yeah ZBLL is gonna be rough since i am doing the 60 drill and recognition but i will try to see what I can do. The goal for next week is gonna be 10 algs so i might boost that to 15 or 20 once it starts on Monday.

-For Everyone-
I learned 3 algs today but that might be it so yeah

Last edited:

FJT97

WCA
2012THIE01
well i do have alot of freetime so maybe i could try since next week i dit have school at all.

yeah ZBLL is gonna be rough since i am doing the 60 drill and recognition but i will try to see what I can do. The goal for next week is gonna be 10 algs so i might boost that to 15 or 20 once it starts on Monday.

-For Everyone-
I learned 3 algs today but that might be it so yeah

Do you learn the algs randomly? For ZBLL you could most of the time learn the mirror, inverse and inverse mirror of an alg. that would be 4 algs at once.

Would be faster and also possibly easier to wrap your head around.

LukasCubes

YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you learn the algs randomly? For ZBLL you could most of the time learn the mirror, inverse and inverse mirror of an alg. that would be 4 algs at once.

Would be faster and also possibly easier to wrap your head around.
i am currently working on the U 2GLLs. I am working on the 2GLL algs. If anything that aint 2GLL pops up, its from a twitch stream.

Andreas5204

If you want to learn a large alg set like 1LLL, I would recommend researching the memory palace system. I myself do not use it (yet! I'm working out a few things, then I'm going to use it to learn the rest of ZBLL) but a friend of mine from a Discord server is using this system to memorize ZBLL, and to great success. Memory palace systems are fantastic in many ways, and I can't really see anyone learning 1LLL in a timely manner without using it. Unless you're a god like Jabari.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you want to learn a large alg set like 1LLL, I would recommend researching the memory palace system. I myself do not use it (yet! I'm working out a few things, then I'm going to use it to learn the rest of ZBLL) but a friend of mine from a Discord server is using this system to memorize ZBLL, and to great success. Memory palace systems are fantastic in many ways, and I can't really see anyone learning 1LLL in a timely manner without using it. Unless you're a god like Jabari.

Without extra clarification, this advice is somewhat misleading. There are definitely ways of using memory palaces that I would argue are not good.

I've had a conversation with your friend on discord about this topic, and my conclusion was that his approach was reasonable; his idea is to associate images to common triggers found in algs so that algs can be encoded as several combined images. Note that this approach isn't totally exact - you don't have to encode the whole alg exactly - the images should be just enough to jog your memory.

I think a system where you remember the whole alg exactly by encoding every pair of moves in an alg into an image is overkill for ZBLL, and probably 1LLL too.

One thing that we discussed on discord about memory palaces is that when you actually use algs in solves, your recall process must be far more streamlined. During a solve there is no time to "visit" your memory palace in order to recall the alg. Seeing the case in front of you should immediately trigger the associated image in your brain, and that in turn must immediately trigger your memory of the moves of the alg. Here, it is worth noting that people like me don't use images for our algs, so my thought process goes directly from seeing the case to remembering the moves. So where you remember an image, the process should be instantaneous, i.e. the association between the image and the moves of the alg should be so strong that your brain pretty much treats them as the same thing.

I understand that people's brains work differently, so I don't want to say that this method is bad, but for me personally, the memory palace seems unnecessary. Simply memorizing the moves allows me to recall the moves quickly, and remember the algs long term, so having a memory palace containing all these algs, or having images associated with every alg carries no benefit for me.

Memory palace systems are fantastic in many ways, and I can't really see anyone learning 1LLL in a timely manner without using it. Unless you're a god like Jabari.

Jabari isn't a god, and you shouldn't think of him as one. He worked hard in order to acquire his abilities, just as anyone else can. As far I know, I don't think he uses images or memory palaces, and this should rather be evidence in the opposite direction to your claim: his success shows that memory palaces are probably unnecessary for memorizing algsets like 1LLL.

LukasCubes

YouTube
Visit Channel
I will look it up later
Without extra clarification, this advice is somewhat misleading. There are definitely ways of using memory palaces that I would argue are not good.

I've had a conversation with your friend on discord about this topic, and my conclusion was that his approach was reasonable; his idea is to associate images to common triggers found in algs so that algs can be encoded as several combined images. Note that this approach isn't totally exact - you don't have to encode the whole alg exactly - the images should be just enough to jog your memory.

I think a system where you remember the whole alg exactly by encoding every pair of moves in an alg into an image is overkill for ZBLL, and probably 1LLL too.

One thing that we discussed on discord about memory palaces is that when you actually use algs in solves, your recall process must be far more streamlined. During a solve there is no time to "visit" your memory palace in order to recall the alg. Seeing the case in front of you should immediately trigger the associated image in your brain, and that in turn must immediately trigger your memory of the moves of the alg. Here, it is worth noting that people like me don't use images for our algs, so my thought process goes directly from seeing the case to remembering the moves. So where you remember an image, the process should be instantaneous, i.e. the association between the image and the moves of the alg should be so strong that your brain pretty much treats them as the same thing.

I understand that people's brains work differently, so I don't want to say that this method is bad, but for me personally, the memory palace seems unnecessary. Simply memorizing the moves allows me to recall the moves quickly, and remember the algs long term, so having a memory palace containing all these algs, or having images associated with every alg carries no benefit for me.
I will try it later. If I dont like it, I wont use it.

Jabari isn't a god, and you shouldn't think of him as one. He worked hard in order to acquire his abilities, just as anyone else can. As far I know, I don't think he uses images or memory palaces, and this should rather be evidence in the opposite direction to your claim: his success shows that memory palaces are probably unnecessary for memorizing algsets like 1LLL.
I'm with you on this one

Andreas5204

From what I understand, the memory palace is really only intended to be an intermediate memory method until you can instantly associate a case with its algorithm. So after you've memorized all of ZBLL, you still need to go in and train cases with a trainer.
The memory palace system is almost like an add-on to the traditional method of learning algs, since you can get by without it just fine. But memory palaces are known for being relatively long-term and fast to create.
Even if they aren't great for learning algs, memory palaces are really neat and have applications for lots of other areas, too. I was just trying to show LukasCubes that there is another option, even if it's not the best, for him to research on his own.
Also, I know Jabari isn't a god. I just think he's really cool. But just because he doesn't use memory palaces doesn't mean that someone else can't use them.