• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Quest to learn full ZBLL [SUSPENDED]

Will I learn full 1LLL?

• Yes

• No

• Ya Stupid

Results are only viewable after voting.

FJT97

WCA
2012THIE01
Actually, you should definitely not assume that the people who originally divided 1LLL into subsets always knew what they were doing. They developed many of their theories at a time when not many people had the practical experience of learning large algsets, and definitely had some wrong ideas about things like recognition.

Learning by subsets is a very good approach, but is definitely not the only option. Learning in a random order is actually quite reasonable. Simon Kalhofer, a full ZBLL user endorses this method of learning ZBLL, which uses a random order (using Anki).

I would also add that the standard subsets that you mentioned such as Tripod, Pi and H aren't necessarily the only reasonable subsets to consider. I think you could be creative here and define many reasonable subsets for yourself. For example, algs which are a combination of sune+another alg, cases which have checkerboard patterns on top, algs which have 1x1x2 blocks, algs with 1x1x3 blocks etc.

I find that those who haven't actually had the experience of learning a lot of algs seem to have a idea that there are certain rules you have to follow to learn algs effectively. The fact of the matter is that there are many decent approaches to learning large algsets, and it's not so easy to say that one is better than all the rest. This does not mean that there are no bad approaches - there are many - however, if your method of learning is well thought out, and you can prove to yourself that it's more effective for you than other approaches (and not just because you're bad at the other approaches), you should be prepared to go against the common wisdom and stick to your guns.

(disclaimer: I have not looked at what LukasCubes' learning method is and can't comment on whether it's good or bad. The main point of this post is to argue that sometimes you need to be willing to go against the grain and think for yourself.)

Lol.
First time on the forum in ages and directly found my anki thread quoted :p

@LukasCubes I'd highly recommend the anki approach, at least youll get the best zblls algs there. i spent literally years to gather the best algs.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Tao Yu how did you learn zbll?, would like to learn it someday.

would you recommend learning full coll ( with S and AS) before going onto zbll or should i just start learning it directly?

I think COLL just helps with recognition. If you already know CMLL or 2x2 CLL, I feel that you don't gain much from learning COLL.

You can't really make a wrong choice. If you find you are somehow struggling because you don't know a COLL, just go learn it.

Hazel

Premium Member
My personal experience, having learnt ZBLL algs a lot more haphazardly, is that if I don't review regularly (or at least do lots of solves regularly), I'll find myself mixing some algs together. Algs that have similar triggers sometimes just blend into each other in my mind and I mess those up a fair amount. Quite a few times recently I've had to jog my memory by looking the algs up again.

Yep. I learned the entire U set of ZBLL in one day quite comfortably, retaining all but 4 algs the next morning. But I didn't practice enough, so within a couple weeks I had forgotten practically all of what I had learned. Likewise, I learned Pi and L (and I believe I did so well), and I practiced them both basically nonstop for a long time—but once I stopped practicing, I slowly forgot almost everything.

LukasCubes

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hows that? Any way i can help there?
no sorry.

EVERYONE I HAVE AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! At the beginning of next week, I will rename this qest to "Quest to Learn Full ZBLL. Starting Monday (start of week 4), I will use bestsiteever.ru ZBLL alg names to learn them all. I sill just use the full 1LLL pf to learn the alg. After ZBLL, I will go change the name to ELL. After that, Tripod-LL. Then we will see where we go from there.

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
EVERYONE I HAVE AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! At the beginning of next week, I will rename this qest to "Quest to Learn Full ZBLL. Starting Monday (start of week 4), I will use bestsiteever.ru ZBLL alg names to learn them all. I sill just use the full 1LLL pf to learn the alg. After ZBLL, I will go change the name to ELL. After that, Tripod-LL. Then we will see where we go from there.
bruh but ok

FJT97

WCA
2012THIE01
On that note, it might be worth it to start with zzll. With zzll and phasing you can always do 1lll. might make solving more fun than only knowing random zblls.

LukasCubes

YouTube
Visit Channel
Ladies and gentlemen i have no idea if i will learn an alg. I dropped my MAIN 3x3 in the car when my mom and i were in it. The cube landed under the car and my mom and I didnt realize it and the cube got rolled over. I would fix it but the pieces were formed into different shapes due to the tires that weigh huundreds of pounds. I will use my back up main for learning algs tho so dont worry.

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
Ladies and gentlemen i have no idea if i will learn an alg. I dropped my MAIN 3x3 in the car when my mom and i were in it. The cube landed under the car and my mom and I didnt realize it and the cube got rolled over. I would fix it but the pieces were formed into different shapes due to the tires that weigh huundreds of pounds. I will use my back up main for learning algs tho so dont worry.
big OOF i feel sorry for you lol.

LukasCubes

YouTube
Visit Channel
Guys I am actually ahead of the schedule. I have learned 4 algs in 3 days and I have alot more freetime now that i half to wake up early today. I will probably go back to learning 1 alg a day tomorrow and friday is i can (which I probably wont) so yeah its good to be ahead of the schedule.

DNF_Cuber

Guys I am actually ahead of the schedule. I have learned 4 algs in 3 days and I have alot more freetime now that i half to wake up early today. I will probably go back to learning 1 alg a day tomorrow and friday is i can (which I probably wont) so yeah its good to be ahead of the schedule.
you realize that going 1 alg a day it will take you approximately 10.17 years.