• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

QiDi: Old style 2x2 feel?

qwr

To preface, I'm a complete beginner at 2x2... I have three 2x2s, all budget cubes: QiYi QiDi (edit: NOT QiDi S), YuXin Little Magic 2x2, and YJ YuPo.

Is it weird that I prefer the loud clacky heavy but smooth feel of the QiDi over the lighter but less smooth little magic 2x2 and soft plastic magnetic YuPo? The YuPo has really nice glossy plastic for a budget puzzle and corner cuts better than the QiDi, but somehow the QiDi's heavy thick black plastic that Qiyi uses on their puzzles and having no magnetic bump at all is more satisfying to turn.

I have a huge 60mm 2x2 from a decade ago that lacks any kind of corner cutting and uses the Rubik's 2x2 mechanism but it still turns extremely smoothly and feels nice and solid. Maybe it's a trait of older 2x2s since newer 2x2s like the GAN 251 (I tried my friend's) are getting smaller and lighter (probably good for TPS)

Last edited:

CodingCuber

WCA
2019HERR14
To preface, I'm a complete beginner at 2x2... I have three 2x2s, all budget cubes: QiYi QiDi (edit: NOT QiDi S), YuXin Little Magic 2x2, and YJ YuPo.

Is it weird that I prefer the loud clacky heavy but smooth feel of the QiDi over the lighter but less smooth little magic 2x2 and soft plastic magnetic YuPo? The YuPo has really nice glossy plastic for a budget puzzle and corner cuts better than the QiDi, but somehow the QiDi's heavy thick black plastic that Qiyi uses on their puzzles and having no magnetic bump at all is more satisfying to turn.

I have a huge 60mm 2x2 from a decade ago that lacks any kind of corner cutting and uses the Rubik's 2x2 mechanism but it still turns extremely smoothly and feels nice and solid. Maybe it's a trait of older 2x2s since newer 2x2s like the GAN 251 (I tried my friend's) are getting smaller and lighter (probably good for TPS)
I used to have the yupo and thought it was amazing until it broke and i got the QiYi MS 2x2 which even more amazing. It has the performance of the valk but a bit loud. The only cube i recommend over in is the tengyun.

Reactions: qwr

chron0s

qwr have you done any setup on these puzzles? 2x2 hardware moved away from a more old school feel, and the newer puzzles are light and fast - with setup though, you can get the feel you're looking for. The valk 2x2s are good for a heavier turning buttery old school feel. I actually love the LM 2x2 with magnets and heavier lube in the core. Tengyun is excellent out of the box, soft feeling, fast but forgiving.

Reactions: qwr

qwr

qwr have you done any setup on these puzzles? 2x2 hardware moved away from a more old school feel, and the newer puzzles are light and fast - with setup though, you can get the feel you're looking for. The valk 2x2s are good for a heavier turning buttery old school feel. I actually love the LM 2x2 with magnets and heavier lube in the core. Tengyun is excellent out of the box, soft feeling, fast but forgiving.
I just tensioned to be moderately tight and added DNM. I haven't tried core lube on a 2x2 yet, but I have done it for 3x3s using Traxxas 50k which makes the cube much smoother.
In my limited experience with setting up puzzles, thicker silicone lube can make a cube gummy and smooth, and lighter liquidy lube makes the cube fast, but the plastic itself determines how heavy and clacky a cube feels.

I think the Valk2 pricing is a bit steep at $20. If I get more into 2x2 I might get a more expensive cube - hopefully one that is heavier.

qwr

The fatal flaw I found with the QiDi is the catching on reverse corner cutting when there should be no catch. Some internal piece is getting stuck somewhere. I wonder if this has been fixed in the QiDi S because I haven't heard about it in reviews.