• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Pyraminx Inspection with Top First?

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
Hello there, I currently average around 5.5 on Pyraminx with Top first methods.
(I use oka, keyhole, 1flip, some nutella and some WO)

Since I started Pyraminx, I have struggled hard with inspection. Sometimes, when there's an edge already solved, it's super easy and I can plan the starting block up to centers and even predict where the keyhole edge will end up.
But then about half of the time I don't see anything, I don't know what to look for and when the 15 seconds are up, I haven't planned anything.
I have started looking for a deliberately misplaced Oka edge that I can use that has another one move solvable edge next to it, but that is cognitively stressful, takes long, and when I don't find anything, I'm left with nothing to start with.

What am I actually supposed to do in inspection time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: When i use WCA inspection, my average goes up by almost a second. Yikes!

WCA
2014LALI01
Hi! So I use top-first, primarily 1-flip and average 4.3, so hopefully I can help! In inspection, I am usually able to determine what the orientation of the centers will be. I can determine what algorithm will be needed to solve the centers during inspection based on how many centers will be "up" (not permuted) after finishing the top. Essentially I would be executing a 2-look solve every time. I do think it is beneficial to know how to solve the centers during inspection. I'm sure you can do similar with WO and nutella. Honestly, I've found trouble to determine center orientation while solving with Oka. So I think in order to be consistently sub-5, you should be able to 2-look the solves almost 60% of the time. The best way to do this is by starting with unlimited inspection, and see how far into the solve you can see, then gradually try to decrease your inspection time.

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
Hi! So I use top-first, primarily 1-flip and average 4.3, so hopefully I can help! In inspection, I am usually able to determine what the orientation of the centers will be. I can determine what algorithm will be needed to solve the centers during inspection based on how many centers will be "up" (not permuted) after finishing the top. Essentially I would be executing a 2-look solve every time. I do think it is beneficial to know how to solve the centers during inspection. I'm sure you can do similar with WO and nutella. Honestly, I've found trouble to determine center orientation while solving with Oka. So I think in order to be consistently sub-5, you should be able to 2-look the solves almost 60% of the time. The best way to do this is by starting with unlimited inspection, and see how far into the solve you can see, then gradually try to decrease your inspection time.

hmmm... that works for me with 1-flip, but the scrambles on which I do 1-flip are rather uncommon... I doubt I could plan that on a scramble where the first Top takes more than 3-4 moves