• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Pyraminx Blindfolded?

WCA
2015LANE01
YouTube
IAmAPerson620
Thread starter #1
Hey! I personally love pyraminx, and since it's such a simple puzzle, I thought it'd be cool to learn to solve it blindfolded! However, because not too many people do pyraminx, and fewer blindsolve it, my searches have come up mainly empty. I solved it once BLD, but it was extremely lucky. I want consistency. I've read on 2x2 and 3x3 blindsolving. For pyraminx, I've tried 1-look plan in memorization, I've tried straight-up memorization of all colors (it got me close), and more. Have you guys any help? I have nothing to build on.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
Pyra BLD is easiest using commutator 3-cycles, if you're familiar with those.

When solving pyra BLD, you can solve the "centers" (the part each tip is attached to) by doing a 3-cycle of edges one way, then spin the side back such as to undo the edge 3-cycle. This spins the tip+center. Once you've spun all the centers (and the tips too), then you can use edge 3-cycles (commutators) to solve the rest. This also let's you memorize the puzzle in cycles from the beginning and execute what you have memorized (no tracing of where pieces end up after doing a few turns).

If you have questions on any of that please ask. If you're familiar with commutators, then you have the makings of a full pyraBLD method.

what's wrong with one-looking? As long as your solution is efficient and you can 2-look sighted solves it shouldn't be too hard, should it?

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
I just thought of a neat idea for pyraBLD. Perhaps this has already been tried. Inspired by the U-method for 2x2x2 BLD you could use the turning to realign the centers to do the edge three cycles.

For example, say the U center/tip has to turn once clockwise to be aligned as in the solved state. You could take three edges in your memo that have to 3-cycle and do an extended sequence of setup turns to set them all up to the U layer such that doing the U turn to align the center/tip also does the three cycle of edges. Then you reverse the setup move sequence to put the three edges back to their original positions. This will typically solve two edges, and put a new edge into your buffer edge position.

Repeat the process for the next center/tip and the next three edges in your memo. If you run out of edges in your memo, then this means the edges are solved but perhaps some center/tips are unsolved. In this case you would rotate those center tips by themselves using the process I described in my earlier post in this thread.

If your center/tips solve before you finish solving the edges, then you can solve the remaining edges using commutator 3-cycles as normal.

I think with practice that this method may be even faster than the "standard" BLD approach because of the significantly reduced overall move count. I may give this method a shot :) I've tried the U-method on 2x2x2BLD, but never its equivalent on pyraBLD.

That may be another method you would be interested in.

I would just peek under the blindfold #yolo
Nice ;)

what's wrong with one-looking? As long as your solution is efficient and you can 2-look sighted solves it shouldn't be too hard, should it?
For expert pyra solvers this would probably be the fastest way, assuming a 1 look style method is reliably "easy" without taking too long to memo. I imagine 1 look would be possible for a pro pyra solver.

For the non-pro pyra solvers, the BLD based methods I listed may be good options to get to intermediate level speed on pyraBLD :p

:)

Last edited:
WCA
2015LANE01
YouTube
IAmAPerson620
Thread starter #7
Thanks guys for the responses. Since I can 2-look sighted solves (I use LBL), I've just decided to work on tracking for the LL (or, rather, LT [last tip]) pieces, so I can execute my final algorithm. I'm also trying to combine this with as much look-ahead as possible, so I can solve the first layer completely in my head during memorization. Then keep my fingers on two pieces until the last layer, execute the alg, and solved. I've gotten to where I can get my first layer 4/5 times BLD. I'll add in solving the tips last. I tried the method where I just rotate pieces using (R'U'RU')x2, but I had a hard time getting it to work. I'm guessing in about a week I should have consistent solves.

My friends are already amazed with a 2x2 solve in under 10 seconds (I average 7-8). This'll be awesome.

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
channel/UCEuVjmTxYfw16pARBLpQaEA
I just thought of a neat idea for pyraBLD. Perhaps this has already been tried. Inspired by the U-method for 2x2x2 BLD you could use the turning to realign the centers to do the edge three cycles.

For example, say the U center/tip has to turn once clockwise to be aligned as in the solved state. You could take three edges in your memo that have to 3-cycle and do an extended sequence of setup turns to set them all up to the U layer such that doing the U turn to align the center/tip also does the three cycle of edges. Then you reverse the setup move sequence to put the three edges back to their original positions. This will typically solve two edges, and put a new edge into your buffer edge position.

Repeat the process for the next center/tip and the next three edges in your memo. If you run out of edges in your memo, then this means the edges are solved but perhaps some center/tips are unsolved. In this case you would rotate those center tips by themselves using the process I described in my earlier post in this thread.

If your center/tips solve before you finish solving the edges, then you can solve the remaining edges using commutator 3-cycles as normal.

I think with practice that this method may be even faster than the "standard" BLD approach because of the significantly reduced overall move count. I may give this method a shot :) I've tried the U-method on 2x2x2BLD, but never its equivalent on pyraBLD.

That may be another method you would be interested in.

Nice ;)

For expert pyra solvers this would probably be the fastest way, assuming a 1 look style method is reliably "easy" without taking too long to memo. I imagine 1 look would be possible for a pro pyra solver.

For the non-pro pyra solvers, the BLD based methods I listed may be good options to get to intermediate level speed on pyraBLD :p

:)
This would actually be awesome, I need to figure out how to do this.
EDIT: seems a lot like what a pyraminx Turbo method would look like, but the orienting centers would also mean its kind of like M2.