• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Proposal] Competitors limit per event

Which of the competitors limit system is better?

• total amount of competitors per competition (the old one)

• specify a competitors limit for each event individually

• total amount of competitors per any event

Results are only viewable after voting.

Roman

WCA
2012STRA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Recent Moscow competition HSE Open 2018 had 200 competitors registered and about 150 in the waiting list. I was among those who registered in time, and 3BLD was my only event (no big blinds there). I cancelled my reg, partially because 3BLD doesn't matter for me as much and in the waiting list there were surely some competitors to whom the competition has much more value than it does to me. The registration of the first person in the waiting list was accepted, and he was only competing in 3x3 and 2x2. Hence, the question: what was wrong about having us both in the competitors list?

The more general question is: what's the main purpose of the competitors limit? If it's solely for preventing overcrowd and keeping up with the schedule, then doesn't it make more sense to have the limit per event rather than restricting the total amount of competitors despite their events?

Example: the competitors limit for 3x3 is 200 people. When 200 people registered for the 3x3, the next person can still register but can't add 3x3 in his events list. If this is the event he really cares about, then just like before he don't register. But if he really wants to improve his official FMC results and wouldn't be too frustrated about missing the 3x3, then he just registers for the FMC and maybe other events.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Z4 already allows this: https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/#Z4

As an organizer, I wouldn't want to implement this because people do tend to stay in the venue throughout the competition, regardless of whether they are currently competing. One competitor doing, 2, 3 and BLD takes up less space than a competitor doing 2, 3 and another doing just BLD.

ducttapecuber

Premium Member
WCA
2014SHIE03
Competitor limits are typically for what space capacity the venue has. As an organizer you also have to factor in parents and siblings that may come as well. The family members aren't competing but they take up space at the venue even if their child is just doing 3x3.
If you (and and guests you brought) were only in the venue when you were competing then I could see organizers implementing what you proposed. But this is not how a typical competition works.