• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Programmers needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
WCA
2010WOMA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have had this Idea for a long time now. The idea is a mobile app for iOS/Android. The app is like the SS wiki you can use the app anywhere and any time to get help with any part of any solution to any of the WCA puzzles.

Now I would like it to have these features:
1. Checklist so that you can check off an ALG that you learned.
2. Some sort of animation like this page has http://www.randelshofer.ch/rubik/revenge/A200.01.html or a link to a video.
3. Available on iOS/Android.

I do have an iPod touch 4th gen with iOS 6 and an android phone with Android 4.1.2 and I can test this app on both of those devices. So who is willing to help me?

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
^ I know. That's vague.

Do you want the app to just show the wiki in some way, with extra features like mentioned in the first post? Or should it not need an internet connection? If so, what information does it present to the user, and how does it get that information?

And my first question still stands.

WCA
2010WOMA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
^ I know. That's vague.

Do you want the app to just show the wiki in some way, with extra features like mentioned in the first post? Or should it not need an internet connection? If so, what information does it present to the user, and how does it get that information?

And my first question still stands.

Well most of it would be offline but if you want to Learn an Alg. Like lets say a G-perm and you have trouble with the X,Y,and Z moves then a youtube video or animation will help you understand it better. Also I want it to have these features where you can select a Puzzle EX. you selected the 4x4 and then select a method like Reduction then select what part of it you would need help learning like getting better at edge paring.

jayefbe

WCA
2013BAHR02
Also I want it to have these features where you can select a Puzzle EX. you selected the 4x4 and then select a method like Reduction then select what part of it you would need help learning like getting better at edge paring.

And then after you select 4x4 edge pairing what do you want to pop up? Are you planning to write up a tutorial for every single puzzle now? Or is it simply going to link to some 3rd party site (in which case, why have the app)?

Your expectations are becoming less and less clear. Originally it sounded like alg lists with links to animations/videos. In which case, there are already a number of alg apps and adding links isn't really innovative enough to deserve its own app. Now it sounds like you want the whole speedsolve wiki and tutorials in an app. Before asking for programming help, I suggest having a better understanding of what you want the app to be and actually generate the content that will be in the app.

WCA
2010WOMA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
And then after you select 4x4 edge pairing what do you want to pop up? Are you planning to write up a tutorial for every single puzzle now? Or is it simply going to link to some 3rd party site (in which case, why have the app)?

Your expectations are becoming less and less clear. Originally it sounded like alg lists with links to animations/videos. In which case, there are already a number of alg apps and adding links isn't really innovative enough to deserve its own app. Now it sounds like you want the whole speedsolve wiki and tutorials in an app. Before asking for programming help, I suggest having a better understanding of what you want the app to be and actually generate the content that will be in the app.

So ya it's basically The Wiki in a form of an app. It would also have a section for Tips on was to improve your time or even a daily tip of the day. I have tryed other apps that are for you to learn Algs but most of them are for 3x3 CFOP. But my App Idea would include algs for all the WCA puzzles.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You know, the tutorials and animations and videos and algs and tips and stuff don't come out of thin air. Someone has to make them. If I understand what you're proposing, actually programming the thing will be a tiny fraction of the work involved.

And honestly, you might as well just update the wiki and then let people go there with the internet browser they already have.

O

Owen

It would be kinda cool as an alg list, with all the different algs for the different cases of different methods for different puzzles.

bgw96hK.jpg

WCA
2010WOMA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It would be kinda cool as an alg list, with all the different algs for the different cases of different methods for different puzzles.

View attachment 3031

I like that Idea that you gave me.

You know, the tutorials and animations and videos and algs and tips and stuff don't come out of thin air. Someone has to make them. If I understand what you're proposing, actually programming the thing will be a tiny fraction of the work involved.

And honestly, you might as well just update the wiki and then let people go there with the internet browser they already have.

I know that programming is hard work but if we all team up and work together then Programming it won't be that hard. It's like how in the Mario video games there are alot of people working together to create the game it's not like one single person programmed the whole game.

Last edited:

Carrot

WCA
2008ANDE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
A womack thread, yay!

Btw, Womack, you are getting it all wrong, the coding in this context would be the LEAST work, making the content will be the hard work.

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think this is actually feasible, but it would be more practicable to simply improve the existing wiki, i.e. update the links for algs with good youtube tutorials. Porting this into an app would result in a HUGE app with no real additional value other than an alg-learning checklist.

WCA
2010WOMA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think this is actually feasible, but it would be more practicable to simply improve the existing wiki, i.e. update the links for algs with good youtube tutorials. Porting this into an app would result in a HUGE app with no real additional value other than an alg-learning checklist.

True but there are some apps out there that are gaming apps like Minecraft that are a huge file.

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
True but there are some apps out there that are gaming apps like Minecraft that are a huge file.

The app size of MineCraft is justified by the content. You can't play MineCraft without the app. What would the unique content of this app be? Surely it's a link to existing algs and existing youtube videos.

There are a couple of existing apps for both Android and iOS that offer alg lists. None that currently (AFAIK) have a checklist. You would be better off asking an existing app developer to add a checklist function.

Please bear in mind that Android and iOS are completely different architectures and the app would need to be written twice to work on both platforms. If you DO decide to make an app, go for one or the other, not both.

Status
Not open for further replies.