• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Prisma Puzzle Timer Requests

What should be added/changed to PPT?

• Make more past times visible in the bottom left

Votes: 50 32.9%
  • Easier input of times

Votes: 64 42.1%
  • Relay scrambler

Votes: 64 42.1%
  • QJ Timer support

Votes: 74 48.7%
  • Better Square-1 scrample generator

Votes: 40 26.3%
  • Support for other timers

Votes: 56 36.8%

• Total voters

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Keep up the suggestions!
I wasn't sure whether to post this idea here or in a new thread as a separate timer, but as you're asking for suggestions here it is:
A timer that uses your webcam to film you solving. You click a button/select an option in a menu or something for either Mo3, Ao5 or Ao12, and it will start recording. As you scramble, the scramble will automatically appear on the screen. When you start inspection and do the solve, the timer will appear in the corner - something like this. Here are some drawings to show what I mean:
After clicking start (person starts scrambling):
F36OEZA.png

After starting inspection:
fWwzfmE.png

After starting solve:
77rDrql.png

After stopping timer (scrambling again):
Rgh0hQi.png
And after you finish the 3/5/12 solves, it'll automatically stop, do that for you and save the video. I don't know how difficult this would be, but it'd be really useful.

Methuselah96

WCA
2012BIER01
For any who are interested, I will be using BitBucket which you can find at https://bitbucket.org/Methuselah96/puzzle-timer

I was using the 15 second inspection timer with my stackmat for a while, and it worked fine. However, I stopped using it because even though it displayed the 15 second countdown, it didn't beep after 8 and 12 seconds. Does anyone know why this could've happened, or how it could be fixed?

https://bitbucket.org/Methuselah96/puzzle-timer/commits/7cfeb011a51ae3a1fb75da4faac7c4e9d9c40fae

Also, showing the personal record ribbon for manually entered times would be nice.

https://bitbucket.org/Methuselah96/puzzle-timer/commits/ab95e2622faf2e92521ea3b7b341d3267709b84b

Last edited by a moderator:

Methuselah96

WCA
2012BIER01
for the pll practice scrambler i got the following in a scramble: D U D' U'

is this a bug in the code?

Since a solved position is technically one of the PLLs, it found that random state and figured out how to get there, hence D U D' U'. It is not really a bug as far as coming up with a solved case, although I guess the solver could have been more efficient as far as move count. I have not extensively looked at the solver used in PPT but this will probably stay the same unless I find some need to fix it.

nickvu2

WCA
2007VUNI01
Thanks for doing this, Methuselah!!!

There are several forks addressing some of the features mentioned. Not sure if it's easier to mine the code or build from scratch. I do know there is one that fixed the timer beeps and another that highlights the 5th and 12th solves.

My wishlist:
-current and best average of 50; 500; 1000; 5000; 10,000
-graphing options: distribution by date vs. by solve number; log10 axis; multiple optional trend lines (moving averages, etc.)
-tagging solves (ex: cube type, method variation, caffeine, time of day, etc) with some sort of analysis to hone in on optimal conditions.
-mobile support with cloud syncing

Methuselah96

WCA
2012BIER01
Thanks for doing this, Methuselah!!!

There are several forks addressing some of the features mentioned. Not sure if it's easier to mine the code or build from scratch. I do know there is one that fixed the timer beeps and another that highlights the 5th and 12th solves.

My wishlist:
-current and best average of 50; 500; 1000; 5000; 10,000
-graphing options: distribution by date vs. by solve number; log10 axis; multiple optional trend lines (moving averages, etc.)
-tagging solves (ex: cube type, method variation, caffeine, time of day, etc) with some sort of analysis to hone in on optimal conditions.
-mobile support with cloud syncing

I used the fork for the inspection time already and gave credit (https://bitbucket.org/Methuselah96/puzzle-timer/commits/7cfeb011a51ae3a1fb75da4faac7c4e9d9c40fae).

I'm a java novice. How do I use this?

It's only available in source form. If you want to be a tester, I can send you an executable.

Last edited:

Methuselah96

WCA
2012BIER01
I have gotten the StackMat Pro to work, now I just need to figure out the QJ Timer.

If someone with a QJ Timer who time stops somewhere under a second please do this:

Download https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62842531/PrismaPuzzleTimer.jar
Plug in your QJ Timer normally
Go into: View...StackmatDeveloper...
Right before or around when the problem occurs press Update Sample.
Press Copy to Clipboard and then paste it in a reply to this thread.

Thank you. The sooner someone does this, the sooner I will release a version with all 3 different types of timers working.

Last edited:

Methuselah96

WCA
2012BIER01
Is it possible to have shorter scrambles for stuff like oll training, pll training and add cross training but has short scrambles that only scramble cross pieces

In short, no. The PLL are relatively short as they are, and the OLLs are short if you realize that it generates all LL cases, not just the different OLLs, so some algorithms have to be longer. I am also curious to know what you mean by "only scramble cross pieces." Scrambling cross pieces also requires scrambling other parts of the cute.

And please follow directions in the OP if you have a QJ Timer. Thanks.

Methuselah96

WCA
2012BIER01
Possibly to make support for OS Mavericks? It's not working for me.

I do not work with anything except Windows. Sorry.

The only thing keeping me from using this as my main timer is the lack of an easy input method. It seems that I'm not alone. Any interested in trying to program this?

Already done: https://bitbucket.org/Methuselah96/puzzle-timer/commits/718dd85ee6a74686f6c57cec7c98e20156b62732
Look at the OP to download the latest build where you can test it out.

Last edited:
I've got loads of suggestions

-ability to remember sessions in history

One session means the set of all solves done for a puzzle at a time (without switching to other puzzles), right? So, history should remember each and every session I did, and so when I select a solve and click "Select session" it should select the whole session, irrelevant of whether the session is the current one.

I've already implemented this in PPT if you'd like to try it out. I'll push it to my bitbucket account.