• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Practicing precision during LL

Lykos

Hi,

one of the greatest problems I have at the moment is bad precision during PLL. Some of my PLLs often take 8 seconds even though I know them for several months already. My pieces lock up very often. I am often faster if I deliberately turn slowly.

Does anyone have tips on how to practice that? I have a Dayan Zhan Chi, should I maybe get a cube that is better at corner cutting? Or one that is worse so I am forced to turn more precisely? If so, which one? I am sure I am not the only one who had that problem, so how did you get rid of it. I am sure just doing it thousands of times will improve it, but maybe there are some drills that improve it more efficiently.

Thanks a lot,
Lykos

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

dskids

WCA
2017SKID01
Hi,

one of the greatest problems I have at the moment is bad precision during PLL. Some of my PLLs often take 8 seconds even though I know them for several months already. My pieces lock up very often. I am often faster if I deliberately turn slowly.

Does anyone have tips on how to practice that? I have a Dayan Zhan Chi, should I maybe get a cube that is better at corner cutting? Or one that is worse so I am forced to turn more precisely? If so, which one? I am sure I am not the only one who had that problem, so how did you get rid of it. I am sure just doing it thousands of times will improve it, but maybe there are some drills that improve it more efficiently.

Thanks a lot,
Lykos

Well it sounds like you and I are at similar stages. This happened to me quite a bit when my brain wanted to move faster than my hands on certain algorithms. I think the best thing you can do is practice your algorithms to build up speed and muscle memory. It might be helpful for you to just drill PLL's on your cube. For example, use cstimer.net, and choose the PLL scamble option. It will scramble your cube to a random last layer oriented state, so all you have to do is identify and execute the PLL.

For cubes, if you want to try something more forgiving, both the Thunderclap and YueXiao are great, yet different, choices with the best of current corner cutting ability, etc. I also have a ZhanChi but I rarely use it because its mechanism IS pretty locky. Another advantage of having another cube is cycling between cubes while solving. I sometimes change cubes every 10-20 solves or so and I think adjusting to the different feel of each one helps your precision a little bit since it prevents you from getting too comfortable with the movement of just one cube.

Lykos

Trying other cubes sounds like a good idea. Sadly, specifically the Thunderclap is almost impossible to get in Switzerland. The amount of cubes that can be shipped to Switzerland is very limited. And most of them have ridiculous prices around 30-50 CHF/dollars. ZhanChi is one of few exceptions.

Xtremecubing

WCA
2015HUGH02
Trying other cubes sounds like a good idea. Sadly, specifically the Thunderclap is almost impossible to get in Switzerland. The amount of cubes that can be shipped to Switzerland is very limited. And most of them have ridiculous prices around 30-50 CHF/dollars. ZhanChi is one of few exceptions.

Getting a new cube won't make that much of a difference. It will help, but not that much. You should probably relearn some algs to ones that fit your turning style, I know that helped me quite a bit.