• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Poll: Same order for pairs for megaminx solves?

How do you solve your megaminx layers?

• Total voters

FJT97

WCA
2012THIE01
Hi there!

Do you solve your megaminx f2l (Well, i mean all the layers except the last one) always in the same order?
If so, what colours you start with (assuming you have the standard galaxy colour scheme), and which way do you rotate?
Or do you just solves the first things that you see?

M

Malkom

Not for F2L but for S2L it's a must if you don't want to suck since westlund or Yu da hyun order is impossible without it.

E: the poll is a little fuzzy, do you mean F2L (the pairs next to star) or S2L (the Remaining layers)? Most people use "freestyle" for F2L but set order for S2L

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do Balint S2L, and I can do ECE blocks in any order, as well as the final 5 pairs before LL. Sometimes I'll build an ECE block before I finish F2L or insert one of the final pairs before the last ECE block. I know the colors that belong in each part of the solve really well, so I can be more flexible with my recognition.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do a sort of Petrus/CFOP for the first two layers. I like to do the blue-yellow or blue-red 2x2x2 first and then proceed in the best way I can see.
For S2L, I build the light green balint block (sometimes before finishing the F2L), along with the green-gray edge. I EO all the 17 other edges starting on the pink face, going ccw and ending with the orange face. I then ZZ style-F2L the orange, pink and light blue sides; cream is my LL colour. I usually start F2L on the orange side, because I end up on that face after EO, and I can't start blue easily without having orange already done. It's not as bad as it might sound; I'm sub-1:15 and almost have a 1:01.49 pb single. But I guess that's just a lot of practice.

When I did do balint, I was cn in block order, but if I couldn't see anything good, I would go ccw.

M

Malkom

I do Balint S2L, and I can do ECE blocks in any order, as well as the final 5 pairs before LL. Sometimes I'll build an ECE block before I finish F2L or insert one of the final pairs before the last ECE block. I know the colors that belong in each part of the solve really well, so I can be more flexible with my recognition.

I do a sort of Petrus/CFOP for the first two layers. I like to do the blue-yellow or blue-red 2x2x2 first and then proceed in the best way I can see.
For S2L, I build the light green balint block (sometimes before finishing the F2L), along with the green-gray edge. I EO all the 17 other edges starting on the pink face, going ccw and ending with the orange face. I then ZZ style-F2L the orange, pink and light blue sides; cream is my LL colour. I usually start F2L on the orange side, because I end up on that face after EO, and I can't start blue easily without having orange already done. It's not as bad as it might sound; I'm sub-1:15 and almost have a 1:01.49 pb single. But I guess that's just a lot of practice.

When I did do balint, I was cn in block order, but if I couldn't see anything good, I would go ccw.
People actually use Balint? i thought everyone used Westlund and that Balint was the megaminx equivalent of Petrus, old and slow.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
People actually use Balint? i thought everyone used Westlund and that Balint was the megaminx equivalent of Petrus, old and slow.

I use Balint. If course, I'm not the paragon of speed: I have a handful of sub-3:00s, and consistently sub-3:30 is still a bit of work. I just watched Simon Westlund's walk-through video, and as best I can tell his method is the same as Balint, except that he does the final f2l pairs as he goes instead of doing the blocks and coming back for the last pairs. Am I understanding that wrong? I guess it seems like that would be a relatively easy transition to make, but at this point limiting the possible pieces that I'm looking for at any point is better for lookahead.

M

Malkom

I use Balint. If course, I'm not the paragon of speed: I have a handful of sub-3:00s, and consistently sub-3:30 is still a bit of work. I just watched Simon Westlund's walk-through video, and as best I can tell his method is the same as Balint, except that he does the final f2l pairs as he goes instead of doing the blocks and coming back for the last pairs. Am I understanding that wrong? I guess it seems like that would be a relatively easy transition to make, but at this point limiting the possible pieces that I'm looking for at any point is better for lookahead.
In balint (as i understand it) you build 2x2 blocks that acts like the cross in a CFOP solve, proving you with slots for pairs. You build all blocks and then inset the pairs. With Westlund you put in a single edge and insert pairs next to it. Then you rotate and insert another edge providing you with 2 more slots and make you able to extend the S2L block.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
In balint (as i understand it) you build 2x2 blocks that acts like the cross in a CFOP solve, proving you with slots for pairs. You build all blocks and then inset the pairs. With Westlund you put in a single edge and insert pairs next to it. Then you rotate and insert another edge providing you with 2 more slots and make you able to extend the S2L block.

So pretty much what I was saying. I build the ECE blocks by inserting an edge and then a pair next to it. I does make sense that it could be ultimately more efficient to build bigger blocks. I'll have to give it a try.

M

Malkom

So pretty much what I was saying. I build the ECE blocks by inserting an edge and then a pair next to it. I does make sense that it could be ultimately more efficient to build bigger blocks. I'll have to give it a try.
Well, for Westlund you "have" to build certain pairs but for balint you can build any block in any order and generally have more freedom. So "classic" Westlund is 5(edge, pair, pair), some people like me use more of a block building approach but always start with the same block and go in the same direction. For balint you build 5 2x2 blocks and then insert 5 pairs, at least I did when I used it (sup 2:20).

xyzzy

I think I use Westlund. I'm not entirely sure because I've never read/watched any megaminx tutorials, but I just build multiple F2Ls in succession. (Isn't that the most natural way to solve a megaminx for CFOP users?)

I start with white F2L, then yellow F2L, then finish S2L either clockwise or anticlockwise depending on my grip/orientation when finishing yellow F2L.