• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

PLL While Fixing Slots

Thread starter #1
The shortest 2x2 PBL algs are the 3 with D-Layer corners that still need permuting (3 & 7 moves).
That got me thinking...

Has one documented how 3x3 PLL algs would be different (shorter?) if Corner-Edge pairs were put in "incorrect" slots during F2L?

for example:
instead of a J-Perm(a): y R' U L' U2 R U' R' U2 R L (10 htm)
this shorter alg could be used to permute the LL while swapping FL and BR diagonal slots
y' R' U r' F2 R F' r (7 htm)

thanks,
-= Solvador Cubi

The 5-move diag-N perm is cool too: L R U2 L' R'.

Overall, there are a few algs that are shorter, but the majority of them are worse/longer. On 2×2×2 you can align the D-layer corners during inspection, but this isn't the case here; you'll need to rotate to make sure that the F2L slots to permute are in the correct position, rather than just AUFing.

R U' F' U2 F U R' Nb, Adj Swap

I tried to Generate this exact set like two months ago but gave up after the EPLLs because I was unable to find a single good Algorithm for them. The two 5 move swap cases are good to know though.

If I find motivation I'll gen COLL plus Slot Permutation or OLL plus Slot Permutation and tell you if I find something useful.

Last edited:
Thread starter #4
Thanks for your responses. Thom, you are definitely correct about EPLLs.

Yes xyzzy, after I posted this, I realized that corner perms are likely the ones that could be shorter.
Since I use diagonal slot setup for how I do a beginner-level roux, it pays off for those U corners.

Thread starter #5
Does anyone know some algs (or a place to see some) for permutation of: CE pairs with U corners?
one could say, a type of PCBL but keeping the F2L pairs together.

For example, if CE pairs are correctly together, but not in the correct slots.
and U and D corner orientation is already done.

I know some for these 2 cases... if two CE pairs need to be swapped diagonally:
and Swap Front U Corners: R' U r' F2 R F' R
and Swap Diagonal U Corners: R2' F2 R2

I'm looking for algs for the cases that have a pair of adjacent columns correct and need to...
Swap Adjacent U Corners: ???
Swap Diagonal U Corners: ???
don't move any U Corners: ???

(I'm not concerned with U or D edges.)

thanks,
-= Solvador Cubi

Thread starter #8
Thanks guys! wow, cubefactorx, that is a detailed spreadsheet!
But I think your file has algs for cases I already know. (i.e. swapping the corner pairs diagonally during CPLL)
(also remember, I don't care about U or M edges, but want to preserve corner orientation)

Here's what I know so far:

When Diag CE pairs need swapped and U corners are...
Diag : R2' F2 R2
Adj : R' U r' F2 R F' R (Swap Front U Corners)
Solved: R2’ F2 R (U r' F2 R F')2 R (A combo of the 2 above)

When Adjacent CE pairs need swapped and U corners are...
Diag: R U' r' U R' U2 R U' r U R' (swaps RF and RB pairs)
Adj: ???
Solved: ???

-= Solvador Cubi

I think with very specialized cases like this learning to use acube3 would be useful.

Download Acube here:
http://software.rubikscube.info/JACube/

GUI to generate required ACube input string:
https://www.ryanheise.com/cube/gacube.html

I am spotting you on this one, but some explanation of what method you are doing would be a kindness to satisfy my curiosity ;)

You'll notice the outputs are raw and viewing the cases in question are at different angles. You'll have to optimize on your own here. When you get a handle on acube you'll notice feeding the same case at different looks can sometimes give different options to consider. I normally feed 4-8 different looks into acube so I have something to chew on.

"When Adjacent CE pairs need swapped and U corners are..."

Diag: R U' r' U R' U2 R U' r U R' (swaps RF and RB pairs)

Adj: ???
Acube String (swapping URF/URB corners, swapping RF/RB f2l pairs, ignoring permutation/orientation of UF,UR,UB,UL, DF, DB):
@? @? @? @? @? DR @? DL -BR FL -FR BL URB UFR UBL ULF DBR DFL DLB DRF

F U' F2 U L' B2 L U' F2 U F' [11/14]
B U' L F' U F' L2 B L B2 U2 [11/14]
U B U' L F' U F' L2 B L B2 U [12/14]
** B U' L F' U F' L2 B L B2 [10/12]
F' U L' B U' B L2 F' L' F2 U2 [11/14]
** F' U L' B U' B L2 F' L' F2 [10/12]

** removing U turns is an option if you can adjust how you recognize case

Solved: ???
Acube String (U Corners = solved && swapping RF/RB, ignoring permutation/orientation of UF,UR,UB,UL, DF, DB):
@? @? @? @? @? DR @? DL -BR FL -FR BL UFR URB UBL ULF DBR DFL DLB DRF
F D' F' R' D F2 B U' F2 R' B' R2 [12/15]
F' D F L D' F2 B' U F2 L B L2 [12/15]
B L' B2 R D R2 U R U' L U [11/13]
F R' F2 L D L2 U L U' R U [11/13]

Thread starter #10
Thanks, I didn't know about acube, I'll start using it to look up algs for future cases that I think of.
I also saw that the wiki had a link to a JS version of it: https://cubing.net/ACube.js/

and thanks for your time plugging that in and posting the results, that helps me start to understand how to use it.

The method I was playing with was a "columns first" method, but with fewer algs (around 16):
4 CE pairs, orient U corners, permute U corners (with 2 CE pairs), centers, D edges, roux ending

I'll post when I conclude what I find useful.