• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

PiKeeper's Progression Thread - Journey to sub 5 clock and sub 10 3x3

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02
I've got a comp in two weeks, so I figured I'll set some goals:
3x3: Sub-15 average, sub-13 single
2x2: Sub-5 average, sub-4 single
4x4: Sub-1 average
Squan: Sub-30 average
OH: Sub-26 average, sub-24 single
Megaminx: I just started this event, so I don't know how fast I'll get

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02
New stackmat pb! 9.47 seconds
Scramble: U' R2 U R2 U' R2 U2 B D' B' D F D2 B' L' F L R'
x2 D' R F D' L B2 // xcross
U2 L U L' U2 L U L' // pair
U' R' U R y L' U' L // pair
R U' R' // pair
U R U2 R D R' U2 R D' R2 // COLL
M2 U M' U2 M U M2 U // PLL

42 moves/9.47 seconds = 4.435 tps

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02
Today I just worked on ls+ll. I got a 21 second Ao50 which should be enough for a 1:45 solve, but I'll try grinding a little more tonight to get that even lower. Tomorrow I'm going to try just working on F2L, and the next two days will be back to full solves.

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02
The competition ended up going great! I made all of my goals, and did better than I thought I would.
3x3 first round went fine, I got a mid 14 average and a 12.09 single, and that got me into second round! I wasn't expecting that because the cutoff at my last comp for second round was 12 seconds. Second round of 3x3 I got a 13.48 average which is quite good even at home.
2x2 was okay, I got three 3s but did the wrong cll on the other two and got a counting 7 for a 3.07 single and 4.86 average.
4x4 went well and I got a 58.5 average and a 52.98 single.
OH was great and I got two sub 20s including a 18.70 single, and I got a 24.23 average
I had barely practiced squan and wasn't consistent at getting sub-30, but I managed to pull off a 27.54 average and a 24.75 single
Lastly, I have been grinding megaminx for the past week and managed to get from an average of 2:30 to just over 1:45 before the comp. I wasn't sure about making cutoff, but I clutched a 1:40.94 single on the second solve to make cutoff and finished with a 1:45.66 average.

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02
I've started doing clock in my free time along with 3BLD. I'm sub-20 on clock and about 6 minutes in 3BLD with mostly DNFs. I don't have a lot of free time for the next few days, so I'll probably just keep grinding clock.

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02
I'm bored at school, so here are my goals for the next few months:
1. Learn aufs for cll and get sub-4
2. Practice roux for 2h and get equal to my cfop times
3. Learn oh roux turning and get sub-20
4. Get sub-10 on clock
5. Maybe get around 2:30 for 3BLD

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm sub-15 on clock right now and I'll probably switch from practicing clock and 3BLD to practicing clock and 2H/OH Roux
Naw, mate. Just because something seems more appealing to you doesn't mean you stop practicing other things. And just because something is low on your list doesn't mean you shouldn't stop trying. Like your 3-bld. That must've felt real special when you got your first success.
You even said it yourself:
I'm hoping to get more into bld events in the future
I recommend staying with 3-bld and clock, and not move away from 3-bld to 2H/OH roux or whatever. Make it part of your practice.

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Naw, mate. Just because something seems more appealing to you doesn't mean you stop practicing other things. And just because something is low on your list doesn't mean you shouldn't stop trying. Like your 3-bld. That must've felt real special when you got your first success.
You even said it yourself:

I recommend staying with 3-bld and clock, and not move away from 3-bld to 2H/OH roux or whatever. Make it part of your practice.
If he wants to work on roux, that's fine. Let people make their own decisions on what they want to practice.

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not quitting 3BLD, just focusing less on it. I care more about 2H and OH than 3BLD, so I'm switching focus to them for the moment.
Sorry about the rant. But I don't like how, and I am guilty, people say they do one thing, but switch to a different topic that is more appealing. It's better to work on stuff that is harder and less fun, then do the stuff that is more fun. Ex. Homework, then video games for an hour or so.

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02
Due to a variety of factors, I won't be posting here for the majority of the next three months and I'll be cutting back on cubing practice. Before I go for a while, here's my goals, averages, and practice plans for each event:
3x3: Sub-14 with cfop, want to switch to roux and get similar times. I'll be practicing this a lot
2x2: Sub-4.2 with cll, want to learn aufs and be consistently sub-4. I'll practice this a moderate amount
4x4: Sub-59 with yau, just want to keep grinding and get sub-55. I'll also practice this a moderate amount
5x5: Sub-2:40, not really going to practice
OH: Sub-24 with cfop, want to switch to roux and get equal or better times. I'll practice this a lot
3BLD: 10% success rate and get 5-7 minutes, not really going to practice
Megaminx: Sub-1:50, want to get sub-1:30 if I practice but I'm not sure how much time I'll invest
Pyraminx: Sub-13, not going to practice
Squan: Sub-27, maybe get sub-20 if I practice but might not have time
Clock: Sub-14, maybe go for sub-10 but I'll be practicing very little

Timona

YouTube
Visit Channel
Due to a variety of factors, I won't be posting here for the majority of the next three months and I'll be cutting back on cubing practice. Before I go for a while, here's my goals, averages, and practice plans for each event:
3x3: Sub-14 with cfop, want to switch to roux and get similar times. I'll be practicing this a lot
2x2: Sub-4.2 with cll, want to learn aufs and be consistently sub-4. I'll practice this a moderate amount
4x4: Sub-59 with yau, just want to keep grinding and get sub-55. I'll also practice this a moderate amount
5x5: Sub-2:40, not really going to practice
OH: Sub-24 with cfop, want to switch to roux and get equal or better times. I'll practice this a lot
3BLD: 10% success rate and get 5-7 minutes, not really going to practice
Megaminx: Sub-1:50, want to get sub-1:30 if I practice but I'm not sure how much time I'll invest
Pyraminx: Sub-13, not going to practice
Squan: Sub-27, maybe get sub-20 if I practice but might not have time
Clock: Sub-14, maybe go for sub-10 but I'll be practicing very little
Good luck. Do you still stream?

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02
Quick update on my progress:
Consistently sub-4 with cll and I know the aufs for all clls except s/as
Sub-56.5 on 4x4
Sub-27 with OH roux
Sub 15.5 with 2H roux

I'm also going to try to become color neutral with roux over the next two months

Imsoosm

Quick update on my progress:
Consistently sub-4 with cll and I know the aufs for all clls except s/as
Sub-56.5 on 4x4
Sub-27 with OH roux
Sub 15.5 with 2H roux

I'm also going to try to become color neutral with roux over the next two months
Do you have tips on how to predict AUF for CLLs? Do I just memorize a corner and see what cases it would end up as solved?