• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Petrus

Zaxef

WCA
2009MATH02
So I was bored today and decided to learn Petrus
I know Full PLL and 32/57 OLL (So I know 2look OLL for Petrus basically)

I learned it from http://petrus-speed.netne.net/ btw.

I find that when I'm doing the 2x2x2 and 2x2x3 block I "cheat" and use "F2L" .. pairing C+E pairs, inserting them, then inserting the other edge (usually the white/*other color* one)

Is that "cheating"? :p

I'm working on doing the blocks without using any fridrich type moves, I can do the 2x2x2 but the 2x2x3 tempts me to cheat more :)

I learned it about an hour ago in ~30mins..
These are my times:
(I can only do the 2x2x2 block on white)

5: (00:50.56) x
4: (00:35.19) x
3: 00:42.06 x
2: 00:47.52 x
1: 00:40.27 x

43.28 avg :)

Anyone else go from Fridrich to Petrus have similar problems? What did you do to change :/
(I'm not making Petrus my main method I just felt like learning it since it doesn't require any new algs)

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Watch my bad edges video and stop "cheating".

Step 4 is an incredibly fast step once you get the hang of it.

Also using fridrich type moves in 2x2x3 isn't too big of a deal. The only thing I do is make CE pairs with both edges in the 2x2x3 block, not just the "f2l pair". It's not too big of a deal.

Also might I ask what you thought of the beginner's section videos? I personally do not like the tutorials up right now for the 2x2x3 block (my friend did it) and he didn't go very far into depth, and also never made a video for step 4 =P hence you "cheating"....that makes sense now...I really wish I was home now to finish the tutorial. God it looks horrible I'm closing the site until I finish. Jesus.

Last edited:

Zaxef

WCA
2009MATH02
I watched all the beginner videos and they were clearly very good since I learned the entire method in 30minutes.. But I do have fairly good knowledge of the cube, I don't see someone new learning it that quickly.

Step 4 is doing the last 2 CE pairs right? I pretty much just used F2L for that, but it still results in an "all edges solved" OLL case.

The 2x2x2 tutorial was really good, the 2x2x3 wasn't bad..
I watched some of the advanced tutorials too right away though

I'll tell you more later.. my girlfriend just got home from work LOL ;)

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah the 2x2x3 is the only one my friend did and I don't like it at all. Also, I want to close the damn site but don't know how =P.

Ha I got it now. I'll put the beginner's site back up once I finish it.

Last edited:

jacob15728

Hmm. I've been playign around with Petrus lately too. I'm not color neutral with Fridrich but I can do a color-neutral 2x2x2 block with full block building. Then I "Cheat" the 2x2x3. I also use Fridrich pairs to finish f2l after fixign the bad edges. I pretty much figured out the method intuitively without much help (just skimmed Lars' page to see how it worked.) I haven't timed myself but I think it usually takes me more than a minute to solve it. But yeah, I'll watch those videos to see if I can do it without cheating.

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah I've been trying to delete the site actually. Not enough people care for me to put in the effort. Also I moved my youtube channel, so all the videos that were up there, are now not. So I pretty much just gave up. People who are going to get good with petrus are going to do it on their own, not look up tutorials on how to do it. I still help all my amigos that chat with me on aim though. Anyone wants help from me directly the contact info is under my avatar.

thelurch1986

You hated my beginners videos?!?!? I'm not that great with it (times in sig) but I can help as much as I can, whoever would like some Petrus help can instant message me (aim link to the left)

deepSubDiver

actually, making CE pairs and inserting them is a fast and efficient way to solve the first two layers, and in my opinion not considered as cheating. the point is, in that case it is not really a petrus solve, cause it is not the 'intuitive blockbuilding' idea you are using. training sessions should help a lot, at least it did for me. for instance, try solving the first two layers intuitively with blockbuilding, over and over ;)

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
actually, making CE pairs and inserting them is a fast and efficient way to solve the first two layers, and in my opinion not considered as cheating. the point is, in that case it is not really a petrus solve, cause it is not the 'intuitive blockbuilding' idea you are using. training sessions should help a lot, at least it did for me. for instance, try solving the first two layers intuitively with blockbuilding, over and over ;)

I actually do "Insert" "F2L Pairs" during 2x2x3. Then insert the edge.