• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

    Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

    If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Petrus example solves

Lofty

Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
1,585
Location
Gainesville, Florida
WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was wondering if anyone *cough* Johannes *cough* could give me some good Petrus example solves. I'll put up a few, for critique or whatever. Moves counts not counting rotations, I would obviously have more in an actual solve.
Standard Scrambling
Scramble 1:
U' B F' U' L' D L D U2 B2 F2 D' F2 R D U2 R2 D' U F2 U B' R' U L'

S1: z2 L' B' D' B2 R' L' F2 u'
S2: U L2 F2 U F
S3: y' U R U' R'
S4a: y' R U2 R' U' R2
S4b: U' R U R' U R U R'
S5+6: L R' U L2 U2 R U' R' U2 L2 R U2 L'
S7: y R2 U' R' U' R U R U R U' R
F2L: 30
Total: 54

Scramble 2:
B2 D L' R' B' D2 B2 F' R2 U B2 F2 U' F2 D2 L2 B' F D L D' U L' U F
S1: z2 D R D2 R D R' B' R'
S2: U2 r U' r' U' F'
S3: y' L' U2 L
S4a: R' U R U' R' U' R
S4b: U' R' U2 R' U R' U' R U2 R
S5+6: U' L U2 R' U2 R U2 L' U2 R' U2 R
S7: R' U R' U' R' U' R' U R U R2
F2L: 34
Total: 57

Scramble 3:
D2 L2 D F2 D2 U2 F' D F U2 B2 F R U2 R2 U' F' D2 R2 D L2 D2 U' B2 F
S1: x2 U' F2 U' B2 L
S2: U R U2 F R2 U' R2
S3: r U r' R U R'
S4a: y' U R2 U R U' R'
S4b: U R U R U R'
S5+6: R U2 R' U' R U' R2 U2 R U R' U R
S7: R' U' R U' R U R U' R' U R U R2 U' R' U
F2L: 30
Total: 59 (most of the solve is RU :)
 

Johannes91

Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Messages
1,341
I was wondering if anyone *cough* Johannes *cough* could give me some good Petrus example solves. I'll put up a few, for critique or whatever.
IMO, computers are pretty good at giving examples. But I'll go through your solves and give some comments.

> Scramble 1:
> U' B F' U' L' D L D U2 B2 F2 D' F2 R D U2 R2 D' U F2 U B' R' U L'
>
> S1: z2 L' B' D' B2 R' L' F2 u'

If you saw that it gives an easy S2, then it's fine, but otherwise 8 moves is waaay too much for S1.

Btw, optimal S1+2 is crazy:
R U' L' D U2 F' L U B' (9q, 8f)
L' B' R U F' L R D (8q, 8f)

> S2: U L2 F2 U F

I'd've preserved the other ce-pair: L R U2 R' L2 F. Also, U R U' R' L' is a *very* interesting continuation, but probably not too well suited for linear solving. Too many nice blocks.

> S3: y' U R U' R'
> S4a: y' R U2 R' U' R2

That last U' should be U.

> S4b: U' R U R' U R U R'

No no no no no... F2 U' L' U L F2

> Scramble 2:
> B2 D L' R' B' D2 B2 F' R2 U B2 F2 U' F2 D2 L2 B' F D L D' U L' U F
>
> S1: z2 D R D2 R D R' B' R'

Ugh, that can be done in 5 moves. For example: U B' R D B2.

Again, here's some deep magic:
L' U F' R L2 B' L2 B' (10q, 8f)
U F B D' B2 R D B2 (10q, 8f)
L2 D B D' R D' R' F' (9q, 8f)
B L B2 U' F' R L2 D (10q, 8f)
L' U B' R2 D2 L D' R' (10q, 8f)

> S2: U2 r U' r' U' F'
> S3: y' L' U2 L

You could've cancelled another move by using U2 r U' r' U' F2 L2 F. And then you could've continued z U2 R' U' R, finishing a pseudo F2L and leaving just a J-perm and giving a ~33-move solution.

> S4a: y' R' U R U' R' U' R

D'uh, this isn't Fridrich. R2 U' R' U R2. After that only 2 corners and 2 edges are left, and those can solved with, for example, [z F2 : (J-Perm)] or [U R : (R-perm)].

> S4b: U' R' U2 R' U R' U' R U2 R
> S5+6: U' L U2 R' U2 R U2 L' U2 R' U2 R
> S7: R' U R' U' R' U' R' U R U R2

Dude, keep your eyes open. You just used ~30 moves to solve 2 edges and 2 corners. I'd've done [R y : R U' R' U2 L R U' R' U L' U2] U2.

> Scramble 3:
> D2 L2 D F2 D2 U2 F' D F U2 B2 F R U2 R2 U' F' D2 R2 D L2 D2 U' B2 F
>
> S1: x2 U' F2 U' B2 L

Not bad. For your amusement:
L' F U' B2 R' F' U2 L (10q, 8f)
D' B2 D2 F' D F2 L D' (11q, 8f)

> S2: U R U2 F R2 U' R2

I guess you meant U' R U2 F' R2 U' R2.

> S3: r U r' R U R'

Or U' M' U M.

> S4a: y' U R2 U R U' R'

Shorter would've been R2 U R' U' R2 or D R' U R D'.
 
Last edited:

Lofty

Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
1,585
Location
Gainesville, Florida
WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
>IMO, computers are pretty good at giving examples. But I'll go through your >solves and give some comments.

>> Scramble 1:
>> U' B F' U' L' D L D U2 B2 F2 D' F2 R D U2 R2 D' U F2 U B' R' U L'
>>
>>S1: z2 L' B' D' B2 R' L' F2 u'

>If you saw that it gives an easy S2, then it's fine, but otherwise 8 moves is >waaay too much for S1.
Yea I saw the pair in the bottom corner.

>Btw, optimal S1+2 is crazy:
R U' L' D U2 F' L U B' (9q, 8f)
L' B' R U F' L R D (8q, 8f)

haha wow pretty good..

> S2: U L2 F2 U F

>I'd've preserved the other ce-pair: L R U2 R' L2 F. Also, U R U' R' L' is a >*very* interesting >continuation, but probably not too well suited for linear >solving. Too many nice blocks.

Thanks… I wouldn’t have seen those… and so far I’ve just been doing opposite color solving, but don’t kill me for that 

>> S3: y' U R U' R'
>> S4a: y' R U2 R' U' R2

>That last U' should be U.

>> S4b: U' R U R' U R U R'

>No no no no no... F2 U' L' U L F2

Remember all I do is OH F’s and L’s don’t fit for me but its good to know if I ever pick up both hands…

>> Scramble 2:
>> B2 D L' R' B' D2 B2 F' R2 U B2 F2 U' F2 D2 L2 B' F D L D' U L' U F
>>
>> S1: z2 D R D2 R D R' B' R'

>Ugh, that can be done in 5 moves. For example: U B' R D B2.

Oh wow, thanks! I need to practice more on your site, I love it.

>Again, here's some deep magic:
L' U F' R L2 B' L2 B' (10q, 8f)
U F B D' B2 R D B2 (10q, 8f)
L2 D B D' R D' R' F' (9q, 8f)
B L B2 U' F' R L2 D (10q, 8f)
L' U B' R2 D2 L D' R' (10q, 8f)

>> S2: U2 r U' r' U' F'
> >S3: y' L' U2 L

>You could've cancelled another move by using U2 r U' r' U' F2 L2 F. And then you could've >continued z U2 R' U' R, finishing a pseudo F2L and leaving just a J-perm and giving a ~33->move solution.

Oh thanks, my next question was going to be about psuedoblocking. Cause often I’ll get a solve that will very easily lead to two 2x2x2 blocks as opposed to a 2x2x3 block… I suppose I’ll learn stuff like these when I have been using Petrus for more than 2 weeks.

>> S4a: y' R' U R U' R' U' R

>D'uh, this isn't Fridrich. R2 U' R' U R2. After that only 2 corners and 2 edges are left, and those >can solved with, for example, [z F2 : (J-Perm)] or [U R : (R-perm)].

I’m trying to learn haha but a year of fridrich dies hard lol would you do finishes like this in speedsolving? As of now OH WR is my goal but I do wish I could do stuff like this…

>> S4b: U' R' U2 R' U R' U' R U2 R
>> S5+6: U' L U2 R' U2 R U2 L' U2 R' U2 R
>> S7: R' U R' U' R' U' R' U R U R2

>Dude, keep your eyes open. You just used ~30 moves to solve 2 edges and 2 corners. I'd've >done [R y : R U' R' U2 L R U' R' U L' U2] U2.

Yea I saw that but like I said before I’m not yet good at stuff like this especially at full speed.

>> Scramble 3:
>> D2 L2 D F2 D2 U2 F' D F U2 B2 F R U2 R2 U' F' D2 R2 D L2 D2 U' B2 F
>>
> >S1: x2 U' F2 U' B2 L

>Not bad. For your amusement:

Haha yay 

>L' F U' B2 R' F' U2 L (10q, 8f)
>D' B2 D2 F' D F2 L D' (11q, 8f)

>> S2: U R U2 F R2 U' R2

>I guess you meant U' R U2 F' R2 U' R2.

Oops

>> S3: r U r' R U R'

>Or U' M' U M.

Eww middles…

>> S4a: y' U R2 U R U' R'

>Shorter would've been R2 U R' U' R2 or D R' U R D'.

Thanks Johannes! I’ll keep practicing on your site. I’m actually enjoying having to think about solving again. But I suppose as you have said before eventually Petrus will get like that as well. At full speed do you think 30 move F2L is doable? If is possible I’m sure this would be ok to achieve. That way throw in a ZBLL and I have a sub45 move count.
 

Johannes91

Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Messages
1,341
Remember all I do is OH F’s and L’s don’t fit for me
Yeah, F's are a bit tricky, but L's? That sounds weird.

Oh thanks, my next question was going to be about psuedoblocking. Cause often I’ll get a solve that will very easily lead to two 2x2x2 blocks as opposed to a 2x2x3 block… I suppose I’ll learn stuff like these when I have been using Petrus for more than 2 weeks.
I try to not use pseudo blocks in speedsolving because they can make ZBLL difficult to recognize, but in very easy cases I sometimes can't resist.

would you do finishes like this in speedsolving?
Yes, it's fun.

At full speed do you think 30 move F2L is doable?
Certainly.
 

Lofty

Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
1,585
Location
Gainesville, Florida
WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok' L's aren't really bad at all. And for OH unless you know some sick double triggers qtm should be looked at as well as htm.
ok, sweet. I'm really liking this blockbuilding stuff hopefully I'll get fast at it. I finally learned how to make-up commutators for corners so I can do Heise as well now. I think it'll be good to learn because when I have lots of easy blocks I can't resist and a couple times end up with f2l minus one pair.
Psuedo-blocking and things like you showed me in my example solves are hard to recognize for me and they have the whole side "oriented", practice I suppose.
 
Top