• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Petrus Discussion and Help thread

mariano.aquino

Premium Member
WCA
2011AQUI01
YouTube
Visit Channel

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Tao Yu @Think It's Impossible? @porkynator @Killbox @TDM @AlphaSheep

@AnyoneElseThatCanDoPetrus

Would anyone be down to make a video/series of "N Petrus Solves, 1 Scramble"? I think it would be cool to see everyone's solutions to the same scramble and we might be able to expand the base of cubers that know (about) the Petrus method.
I know how the method works and all. However, I don't practice it as I have never considered it as a viable speedsolving method.
Here's an impromptu average that I randomly did just to see how fast I was:
Generated By csTimer on 2017-1-24
avg of 12: 26.56

Time List:
(40.60), 29.09, 23.97, 26.85, 34.35, 24.87, 25.22, 26.45, 22.24, 25.83, (20.24), 26.67

With W/Y colour nuetrality, and 1 solve on a different colour. I also cheated on EO for a couple solves because I don't like being slow.
I would be willing to reconstruct a solve on video. But I don't know if this is even considered Petrus? I am aware that there is supposed to be an alternate, more efficient, way of solving the LL, though, I don't know what it is.
Would you be willing to allow a similar abomination of a solve to represent the method you like?

Last edited:

mDiPalma

I would be willing to reconstruct a solve on video. But I don't know if this is even considered Petrus? I am aware that there is supposed to be an alternate, more efficient, way of solving the LL, though, I don't know what it is.

That's how most of us do it (COLL/EPLL), but I think as long as you do 3x2x2->EO->F2L, it counts as Petrus. (actually, If I were you, I would even have used that pair you had right before EO to make another square, then I would have done EO - which is even LESS authentic).

And your movecount isn't bad, especially for someone that doesn't regularly use the method.

The more people we get the better. I'll have to message Tao on reddit or something, because it seems he isn't active on here anymore. His channel probably has the most visibility of any of us - so maybe he could compile the clips & post the video, as long as he's willing.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03

Would anyone be down to make a video/series of "N Petrus Solves, 1 Scramble"? I think it would be cool to see everyone's solutions to the same scramble and we might be able to expand the base of cubers that know (about) the Petrus method.
I'm willing to try, although I don't speedsolve Petrus. I only really practice slow Petrus-style solves for FMC. I think I average around the same as @GenTheThief.

mDiPalma

I'm willing to try, although I don't speedsolve Petrus. I only really practice slow Petrus-style solves for FMC. I think I average around the same as @GenTheThief.

I would say it'd be more about presenting the blockbuilding steps from several different perspectives of users trying to accomplish the same general tasks on the same scramble - than it is about exhibiting what higher-TPS users would do in a speedsolve. Obviously if people are searching for ways to get faster, they probably shouldn't be scouring YouTube for Petrus walkthrough videos.

I would reckon that most cubers have never solved with Petrus before, so seeing a walkthough of any skill-level would probably be interesting and educational.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The more people we get the better. I'll have to message Tao on reddit or something, because it seems he isn't active on here anymore. His channel probably has the most visibility of any of us - so maybe he could compile the clips & post the video, as long as he's willing.

Sure, I'd be more than happy to compile the videos and post it on my channel if everybody is happy with that. Just pm me here with your videos. I'll make sure to credit all of you and link your yt channels in the description.

Most likely won't have very fancy editing though lol.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel

porkynator

WCA
2011TRON02
YouTube
Visit Channel

It's a nice idea, but at this moment I'm very busy with exams. I also lack the tools and the skills to make a good video, so trying to film and edit something decent would be even more time consuming than it should.
But maybe in two months I'll have some more free time and I would be able to join you... I'll let you know.
Also, I haven't done Petrus speedolves in a while.

Sure I'll watch the videos if you make them!

mDiPalma

@TDM @Tao Yu @AlphaSheep @mariano.aquino @GenTheThief @Think It's Impossible? and anyone else who wants to contribute

Sure, I'd be more than happy to compile the videos and post it on my channel if everybody is happy with that. Just pm me here with your videos.

Cool thanks!

I pulled this scramble off Tnoodle just now. Try to make sure it matches before you record the video.

B2 U2 L2 R' U2 R' D2 B2 D2 F' L F2 D B F U B' U F2 L
scramble.png

Edit: To be clear, just go through the solve step-by-step (block-by-block) explaining exactly what you are doing (verbally, if possible - if speaking English is not possible, then maybe you can just use your main language or type up your explanation and edit it onto your video). Here is an example - Michał Pleskowicz' part at 7:00 is a perfect example. Your video should probably be around 75-120 seconds - you don't need to be too detailed.

I guess include your full name and YT channels when you send your videos to Tao. (it might be easiest to send a Dropbox/GoogleDrive link or host the file yourself)

The deadline is whenever he wants. :p

Maybe we can do more of these later, if interest picks up, so we can accommodate Porkynator and other Petr-users that didn't see this post before Tao compiles the video. If I've missed something, let me know.

Last edited:

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is going to be my solve: 42 HTM Petrus Solve.

I'm not sure when I can get around to recording it, nor am I sure that I have a camera that can upload it. Also, I don't have a youtube channel.
If all else fails, just show the solve on alg.cubing as it is. It's pretty obvious what is being done.
This was fun.

Last edited:

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I guess include your full name and YT channels when you send your videos to Tao. (it might be easiest to send a Dropbox/GoogleDrive link or host the file yourself)

The deadline is whenever he wants. :p

Maybe we can do more of these later, if interest picks up, so we can accommodate Porkynator and other Petr-users that didn't see this post before Tao compiles the video. If I've missed something, let me know.

Cool, thanks for setting this up!

Arrangements look good to me. Get the videos coming everybody!

I'll write down the list of people who have sent me videos already in this google doc so that you guys will know how the project is coming along.

Deadline will probably depend on how fast the videos come in, but I'll be fairly flexible about it.

@mDiPalma What would be the best place to message you if I have any questions or run into any issues regarding this video? Maybe discord (username "oyoat - Tao Yu" in /r/cubers group)? Or should I just keep everything to this thread?

mDiPalma

I just recorded my entry and rewatched it. It came out to be around 75 seconds, even though I was trying to keep it pretty brief. Other people might need more time. I don't think that's a problem because there are only ~6 of us.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just recorded my entry and rewatched it. It came out to be around 75 seconds, even though I was trying to keep it pretty brief. Other people might need more time. I don't think that's a problem because there are only ~6 of us.
Mine was 2:14, how much detail do you need? I explained my lookahead and things like the order I usually do blocks in, but I had to rush my explaination a little to keep it short-ish. Should I do a shorter version just explaining the moves I do?

mDiPalma

Mine was 2:14, how much detail do you need? I explained my lookahead and things like the order I usually do blocks in, but I had to rush my explaination a little to keep it short-ish. Should I do a shorter version just explaining the moves I do?

I think it's fine, but it's up to @Tao Yu - the longer the compilation gets, the fewer people are going to watch it through

Reactions: TDM

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I think it's fine as well. I think we'll probably have fewer solvers than other similar videos, so we might as well go into more detail.

Edit: Okay, mine was 2:23. I think it's alright, I think Petrus solves much harder to explain anyway than CFOP solves, and I didn't feel like my video was so long that I would get bored halfway through.

Great videos btw, @mDiPalma and @AlphaSheep. Finally got around to watching them after making my own.

Last edited:

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@TDM@mariano.aquino@Think It's Impossible?

Okay, I haven't received any videos in a while, so I feel I should make a reminder and also set a deadline.

So the deadline is going to be 11 March 2017, one month from today, so please have your submissions in by then if you want to contribute.

@TDM, do you still have your video? I think 2:14 is fine, there would be no need to redo it so it's shorter or anything.

ShadowCurv

I have been using Petrus for about a week now, and I feel it is much better than CFOP, at least for me. I have gotten it down to my old CFOP average, which was about 40 seconds. I am asking for tips for my solves. I'll put some example solves below:

Scramble: B' U2 L2 R2 B' L2 U2 L2 F2 R' U' L2 R D L R2 D2 U2 F'
L' U' (2x2x2 edge)
z2
F U' F' R U' R2 U' R' F' U' F U2 F' U F (2x2x2 Block)
y' F2(Edge Insert)
L2 U L' U' R U R' (2x2x3 Block)
y2
U F' U' F R2 U2 F' U' F (EO)
U' R2 U R2 U' R U' R' U R U R U R' U2 R U R' (F2L)
y2
F U R U' R' U R U2 R' U' R U R' F' (COLL)
U M2 U' M U2 M' U' M2 U (Ua Cycle)

Any tips will help. Thanks!