• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Petrus Discussion and Help thread

Killbox

Switching to Petrus

Hey people.
I'm a sub-25 CFOP solver,but I am trying to switch to Petrus,as it is far more intuitive.
But because I'm used to CFOP,my brain is kinda hard wired for algs and less intuition.Color neutrality is becoming a problem,and people say that you should be Color neutral on Petrus because it's fairly easy,but due to my long experience with Fridrich,my brain just sees white.
After EO,which I find easy to do,I mostly screw up my edges by using the other layers.(other than R and U),again due to Fridrich.Damn I wish I'd never learned Fridrich.
I need some tips on solving F2L after EO and on the 2x2x2.
Also ,I use OLL and PLL,just because I already know all the cases that could come up( since all edges are oriented in OLL and I know all the PLLs)
Thanks guys

TorbinRoux

WCA
2014KITT01
Hey people.
I'm a sub-25 CFOP solver,but I am trying to switch to Petrus,as it is far more intuitive.
But because I'm used to CFOP,my brain is kinda hard wired for algs and less intuition.Color neutrality is becoming a problem,and people say that you should be Color neutral on Petrus because it's fairly easy,but due to my long experience with Fridrich,my brain just sees white.
After EO,which I find easy to do,I mostly screw up my edges by using the other layers.(other than R and U),again due to Fridrich.Damn I wish I'd never learned Fridrich.
Also ,I use OLL and PLL,just because I already know all the cases that could come up( since all edges are oriented in OLL and I know all the PLLs)
Thanks guys

Have you tried roux? This is an intuition based method and has far more potential than petrus in my opinion. There aren't many resources for petrus as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Killbox

Have you tried roux? This is an intuition based method and has far more potential than petrus in my opinion. There aren't many resources for petrus as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I have;but I really don't like the M slices.
Even in CFOP,I use different algs for h and z perms; which require M' slices.

DELToS

I guess to teach yourself to only use R and U for F2L, just do a bunch (maybe 15-20) slow solves while continuously telling yourself to only use R and U. Also just a tip, learn COLL because it's really good with petrus.

porkynator

WCA
2011TRON02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey people.
Thanks guys

Not really a tip, but I think color neutrality is much easier to achieve with CFOP than with Petrus (or with any other advanced method). The reason is:
- Being color neutral with CFOP means spending some (not much) extra time during inspection time to choose the starting color; after that, you just go on with your solve and think no more about it.
- With Petrus, after you build 2x2x2 block you have 3 different possible ways to expand it to a 2x2x3; color neutrality also means choosing which one is the best, which is hard to do fast. Also, some people (including myself) find it difficult to solve EO from different orientation (but this is just lack of practice).
What I do is: any 2x2x2, expand it to have orange/red on F and white/yellow on D for better look ahead. But I think color neutrality pays off, if you start right away with it.

An actual piece of advice for blockbuilding: to lower your movecount, try slow solves, aiming for as few moves as possible. You can use online tools like this one or this one to check how you are doing.

Killbox

Not really a tip, but I think color neutrality is much easier to achieve with CFOP than with Petrus (or with any other advanced method). The reason is:
- Being color neutral with CFOP means spending some (not much) extra time during inspection time to choose the starting color; after that, you just go on with your solve and think no more about it.
- With Petrus, after you build 2x2x2 block you have 3 different possible ways to expand it to a 2x2x3; color neutrality also means choosing which one is the best, which is hard to do fast. Also, some people (including myself) find it difficult to solve EO from different orientation (but this is just lack of practice).
What I do is: any 2x2x2, expand it to have orange/red on F and white/yellow on D for better look ahead. But I think color neutrality pays off, if you start right away with it.

An actual piece of advice for blockbuilding: to lower your movecount, try slow solves, aiming for as few moves as possible. You can use online tools like this one or this one to check how you are doing.
You've got it wrong bro. Being color neutral inCFOP I actually quite difficult because of the f2l recognition
What you say applies to layer by layer. In F2L, there are many possible cases you may run into,an being color neutral is more difficult than Petrus.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
You've got it wrong bro. Being color neutral inCFOP I actually quite difficult because of the f2l recognition
What you say applies to layer by layer. In F2L, there are many possible cases you may run into,an being color neutral is more difficult than Petrus.

No it isn't. You only have to look for corners of a certian colour in CFOP. Blockbuilding full CN is harder than F2L full CN. Try going a megaminx and you'll get the idea.

porkynator

WCA
2011TRON02
YouTube
Visit Channel

I have tried being color neutral with many methods (including CFOP, Petrus and ZZ) and I have found CFOP the easiest.
But maybe it is different for other people. Have you tried being color neutral with more than one method and compared the difficulties?

Killbox

I have tried being color neutral with many methods (including CFOP, Petrus and ZZ) and I have found CFOP the easiest.
But maybe it is different for other people. Have you tried being color neutral with more than one method and compared the difficulties?

One of my friend is sub-15 with 7 methods,including the Big 4.He chooses the method based on the scramble.He is currently trying to become color neutral with all of them.
He says block building color neutrality is the easiest because edges are easier to identify;whereas corners are different. Edges can have only two orientations whereas corners can have three. Blocks use more edges than corners;whereas F2L uses sa number of both . do the math guys!

Killbox

With colour neutral CFOP, you're looking for a specific edge and corner each time. That's two pieces. With colour neutral Petrus, after 2x2x2, you're looking for three corners and six edges and evaluating which corner and two edges is the easier case. I've done the math. Now what?
I've seen your math,you should see mine
Cfop-- cross= 4 edges. Petrus -2x2x2- one corner;three edges

F2L -4edges,4 corners. 2x2x3-one corner,two edges

The actual problem lies in the second step, cut the first can be planned during inspection and executed blind even.during the second step;petrus requires less pieces ; making it easier for recognition.
Hence color neutrality is easier

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel

I've seen your math,you should see mine
Cfop-- cross= 4 edges. Petrus -2x2x2- one corner;three edges

F2L -4edges,4 corners. 2x2x3-one corner,two edges

The actual problem lies in the second step, cut the first can be planned during inspection and executed blind even.during the second step;petrus requires less pieces ; making it easier for recognition.
Hence color neutrality is easier

Try doing Eo CN.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I also think it's far easier with CFOP than Petrus. While I'm not too experienced with Petrus, I think there are just too many options for blocks for lookahead to be simple. Restricting yourself makes it far easier.
Also, from what I've read, people don't say CN is easier with Petrus. They say it's necessary to be good with it - which is true for fewest moves solving, definitely. I'm not entirely sure it's true about speedsolving however.

One of my friend is sub-15 with 7 methods,including the Big 4.He chooses the method based on the scramble.He is currently trying to become color neutral with all of them.
Who's this friend of yours? I only know one person who's sub-15 with four (Tao Yu), and he's definitely not trying to switch to method neutral. Method neutral isn't even that effective anyway - definitely not with any more than two methods.

porkynator

WCA
2011TRON02
YouTube
Visit Channel
He says block building color neutrality is the easiest because edges are easier to identify;whereas corners are different. Edges can have only two orientations whereas corners can have three. Blocks use more edges than corners;whereas F2L uses sa number of both . do the math guys!

This is an interesting point of view actually, but I still think that having to choose the color during a solve makes a bigger difference.

Killbox

I also think it's far easier with CFOP than Petrus. While I'm not too experienced with Petrus, I think there are just too many options for blocks for lookahead to be simple. Restricting yourself makes it far easier.
Also, from what I've read, people don't say CN is easier with Petrus. They say it's necessary to be good with it - which is true for fewest moves solving, definitely. I'm not entirely sure it's true about speedsolving however.

Who's this friend of yours? I only know one person who's sub-15 with four (Tao Yu), and he's definitely not trying to switch to method neutral. Method neutral isn't even that effective anyway - definitely not with any more than two methods.
He's an Internet friend. I don't know anything except that his username is SG17 on minecraft
I don't remember how our conversation turned to cubing, but eventually I got his email address. It's [email protected]. Satvik seems Indian but he was definitely not,cuz he was on the US server, so I guess it's a fake name or someone else's email address

Killbox

Well everyone has gone silent. I still haven't got the advice I needed
You're probably trying to contact my friend through his email.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well everyone has gone silent. I still haven't got the advice I needed
You're probably trying to contact my friend through his email.

Sorry. For the 2x2: take a look at this website. Start out with 2-3 move scrambles, and attempt to solve them in the recommended number of moves. Slowly work your way up as you get confident with each step.

For solving F2L after EO: place DR, then do CFOP (without rotating). As others have suggested, 2-gen scrambles may help.

I didn't actually try to email him. From where you met him, I doubted he was actually telling the truth: you get a lot of non-cubers lying about being able to solve cubes. Though I don't know how much you talked to him, so maybe he is actually that fast with seven methods. But I don't think so.

Killbox

Sorry. For the 2x2: take a look at this website. Start out with 2-3 move scrambles, and attempt to solve them in the recommended number of moves. Slowly work your way up as you get confident with each step.

For solving F2L after EO: place DR, then do CFOP (without rotating). As others have suggested, 2-gen scrambles may help.

I didn't actually try to email him. From where you met him, I doubted he was actually telling the truth: you get a lot of non-cubers lying about being able to solve cubes. Though I don't know how much you talked to him, so maybe he is actually that fast with seven methods. But I don't think so.
Thanks for your advice. It's the first one that doesn't generalise assuming I am experienced with Petrus. Only thing I found helpful.

Well he did know a lot about CFOP and other LL methods like CMLL and stuff.He talked about Roux and Petrus like a guy who's experienced, and his wife knowledge at least was correct. So I'm guessing he knew at least three methods,s by the way he talked about them, clearly he knew enough to be sub 15.
He helped me achieve sub30 in CFOP and told me to try out Petrus,because it was easier to be color neutral in.
So maybe he's a fraud but most likely not.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for your advice. It's the first one that doesn't generalise assuming I am experienced with Petrus. Only thing I found helpful.
Sorry I didn't reply (usefully) sooner. I made the mistake of not reading your post properly and assuming a different question from other people's responses.

Well he did know a lot about CFOP and other LL methods like CMLL and stuff.He talked about Roux and Petrus like a guy who's experienced, and his wife knowledge at least was correct. So I'm guessing he knew at least three methods,s by the way he talked about them, clearly he knew enough to be sub 15.
He helped me achieve sub30 in CFOP and told me to try out Petrus,because it was easier to be color neutral in.
So maybe he's a fraud but most likely not.
Oh, okay. Interesting. Still, I don't think colour neutrality is easier with Petrus, just possibly more useful.