• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Petrus Discussion

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
CyroKarat
I decided to make this thread so Petrus wouldn't feel left out. Fridrich & Roux both have their own threads for people to share tips, help other users, provide links to tutorials, etc. (Waffle's Roux Tutorial & How to be sub-20) so why not Petrus? Plus this could get Petrus more users.

As stated before here you can just ask for help, share tips, give out links, etc. for Petrus specifically.

I don't think a similar thread has been made, I searched for a long time, if it has been, my apologies.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
boxxybabee
Yeppers, he quit.

Shame, he was a pretty cool guy, he solved with petrus, and didn't afraid of anything.

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
CyroKarat
What do you use for LL? I use CFOP's OLL for only the corners and PLL which I think is faster than Petrus' CP, CO, EP.
I think most people do OCLL, then PLL. Some do COLL, then EPLL. Some do EJF2L, then PLL. Some do Winter Variation, then PLL. There's a whole slew of options for the LL of Petrus, what I think would be best is to learn them all (minus WV, it's kind of pointless), then see which would work best for the solve you're doing.

EDIT: Or you could use ZBLL.

Last edited:

ErikJ

WCA
2007JOHN02
YouTube
CaptianCrash44
What do you use for LL? I use CFOP's OLL for only the corners and PLL which I think is faster than Petrus' CP, CO, EP.
depends. I use OLL+PLL; COLL+EPLL; or CLS+PLL.

If I don't set myself up for MGLS, I recognize the COLL case, and it's a decent alg I'll use COLL. (there are a few cases I will never do COLL for on 3x3 even though I know the algs and recognize the case)

For some OLLs, like sune, I almost never use COLL because doing a sune + random PLL is almost always faster the doing COLL+EPLL.

I asked Lars about the method for solving LL on his page and he said it was just a random way of doing it. He also uses a mix of OLL+PLL and COLL+EPLL. So don't think that using something other than what is on his website is not using 'full' petrus method.

I personally think ZBLL is not as fast as doing a 2 look LL for recognition and execution reasons.

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
azureriot
depends. I use OLL+PLL; COLL+EPLL; or CLS+PLL.

If I don't set myself up for MGLS, I recognize the COLL case, and it's a decent alg I'll use COLL. (there are a few cases I will never do COLL for on 3x3 even though I know the algs and recognize the case)

For some OLLs, like sune, I almost never use COLL because doing a sune + random PLL is almost always faster the doing COLL+EPLL.

I asked Lars about the method for solving LL on his page and he said it was just a random way of doing it. He also uses a mix of OLL+PLL and COLL+EPLL. So don't think that using something other than what is on his website is not using 'full' petrus method.

I personally think ZBLL is not as fast as doing a 2 look LL for recognition and execution reasons.
Recognition is easy, and execution is practice.

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
azureriot
F2 D2 L2 R' B' U' B2 D' U2 F U R' U2 D L B U D' B L' R D2 L F L

how would you guys up to 2x2x3?

M2U'M2UM2DF2D2 2x2x2
(u')
F'R2UR'UF2U2L'UL 2X3X3

is 18 moves bad? lol

Last edited:

CharlieCooper

Premium Member
WCA
2007COOP01
YouTube
rxbeef
You use Petrus, Charlie?
Yes, always have. I actually learnt Petrus before any other method! My first solved cube was from Petrus. I don't even know the beginner solution everyone talks about :p
you never cease to amaze.

Peturs < roux but still awsome. xP (well for 2H)
I've amazed you before? :p

I look funny when I solve big cubes because of all my double layer turns, so I've been experimenting with Fridrich a bit. I suck at crosses and would rather invest my time elsewhere so I just do a 2x2x3 block, sort bad edges, place last "cross" piece and then do two pairs, oll, pll. Petrich, if you will.

I've been doing a bit of this on 3x3 too. I competed in my last competition with this, which was a gamble and I didn't do as well as I could have done. I need to practise a lot more with pairs because I'll be much faster. It saves the millions of hilarious cube rotations I do though! I seem to get a lot of faster singles, a lot of sub 14s, but it's far easier to screw up, ultimately giving me a worse average that straight Petrus.