• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Permutation League! Season 2 Cancelled. :(

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jam88

YouTube
Visit Channel
Mega post.

OK, @Nmile7300 the dates are Monday 12th April to Sunday 18th April. Can you make these?

VOTE RESULTS
2x2, 4x4, OH and Clock are tied in first place. There will be a new form soon to tie-break them.
The complete results:
OH
4x4
2x2
OH
Megaminx
4x4
4x4
Megaminx
Square-1
2x2
2x2
Square-1
Clock
Clock
OH
Clock

DATES
As I said above, Monday 12th to Sunday 18th April, same times as last time.

HOW TO SIGN UP
Signups will open at the end of February. 8-16 competitor limit, depending on how many people want to do it.

RESPONDING TO THE OTHER FORM RESPONSES
What did you think of the first season?
Pretty good
Being in it was fun
Poggers
Great
Pretty cool tbh
It was good
It was fun to watch
it was pretty good
Noice
Pretty good, fun to compete in
Good
Great! Glad you enjoyed!

I enjoyed the first season and I think that the range of cubers was great! It was very well organized and I found it fun to watch.
Great! I enjoyed watching it, although the cameras took a while to load sometimes.
I thought the idea was good but the execution could use some work. The presentation was not great in my opinion, so maybe work on that. I also think you either need to change the tournament’s format (aka who goes against who) or make stricter qualifications because there were a lot of unfair matches. When some who averages 8 faces off against someone who averages 15, it’s obvious who will win so nobody wants to watch.
Thank you! I tried to organize it well.
Yeah, the cameras were slow sometimes. That is kind of beyond my control.
Any help on the presentation would be appreciated. I am not sure who said this, but thank you for the criticism. However, I am not sure whether I can implement this, as everyone needs to play everyone and it will crush a lot of people if I impose a sub-x participation limit.

Do you have any suggestion to improve the league?
Nah it is already Poggers
You’re doing great!
Great, glad to hear it!

Maybe some commentary or guest speakers to host with you would be great!
As stated above, just try to make the commentary a little more interesting.
Add 2x and Pyraminx + add another commentator
Nathan (Nmile7300) will probably be commentating. For 2x2 and pyra, there was the vote

Set it so that people in different time zones can join at an appropriate time
To maybe also be streamed in twitch
Change the way the tournament and qualifying rounds work so that there’s less unfair matches, and try to improve presentation.
I can't make the times any later. The majority of competitors were in the US, so I tried to make it such that they could join at a reasonable time. Any earlier, they couldn't do it, any later, I couldn't do it.
RE twitch, why? I have never had a twitch audience, and it would be another platform to look at, see the chat on, etc.
RE presentation and qualifying rounds, presentation will be worked on and I am open to suggestions. There were no qualifying rounds, and, as I said above, I can't exactly change requirements.

Duos format
Put clock in there
more clonk
For clock, there was a vote. Duos, maybe but there would have to be more matches, and it would be harder to organize.

Thanks for reading!

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Instead of posing a sub-x limit, we should try to find some other way to make matches more fair - e.g. whoever wins is whoever gets the closest to a preset custom time for both competitors. So it’s not a battle between whoever has the fastest time, but rather whoever does the best in general

Jam88

YouTube
Visit Channel
Instead of posing a sub-x limit, we should try to find some other way to make matches more fair - e.g. whoever wins is whoever gets the closest to a preset custom time for both competitors. So it’s not a battle between whoever has the fastest time, but rather whoever does the best in general
I like that idea. How would we determine that time?

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any help on the presentation would be appreciated. I am not sure who said this, but thank you for the criticism. However, I am not sure whether I can implement this, as everyone needs to play everyone and it will crush a lot of people if I impose a sub-x participation limit.
presentation and qualifying rounds, presentation will be worked on and I am open to suggestions. There were no qualifying rounds, and, as I said above, I can't exactly change requirements.
Ok these responses were me. It appears that I was the most critical lol. First, you say "everyone needs to play everyone". Why? There are a multitude of formats where this would not be required. I was also not suggesting that you have a sub-x limit.

About presentation, I think the look of the stream could be improved in some way. Try to make it look more professional. I also think that adding another commentator (me) is also going to help it a bit.

I see a few solutions to the problem of unfair and boring matches.
1. Do what @PetrusQuber said or something similar that puts people against people of a similar speed
2. Do a very easy qualifier like this: Have everyone who signs up join a cubing time or similar room, and then everyone does an ao25 and then the top x people advance. This way the slower people still get to compete but the matches are fairer, and we don't have to have a small competitor limit.
3. Make it some sort of bracket or double elimination style so the more unfair matches happen first.

Jam88

YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok these responses were me. It appears that I was the most critical lol. First, you say "everyone needs to play everyone". Why? There are a multitude of formats where this would not be required. I was also not suggesting that you have a sub-x limit.

About presentation, I think the look of the stream could be improved in some way. Try to make it look more professional. I also think that adding another commentator (me) is also going to help it a bit.

I see a few solutions to the problem of unfair and boring matches.
1. Do what @PetrusQuber said or something similar that puts people against people of a similar speed
2. Do a very easy qualifier like this: Have everyone who signs up join a cubing time or similar room, and then everyone does an ao25 and then the top x people advance. This way the slower people still get to compete but the matches are fairer, and we don't have to have a small competitor limit.
3. Make it some sort of bracket or double elimination style so the more unfair matches happen first.
I like your second option, although cheating would be possible. Are the times OK for you? I will give you 'mod' access to the Discord server.

Also, link to discord here for anyone who hasn't joined yet.

D

Deleted member 55877

I like your second option, although cheating would be possible. Are the times OK for you? I will give you 'mod' access to the Discord server.
By "cheating" do you mean intentionally getting slow times to get put in a slower bracket?

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel

Also, link to discord here for anyone who hasn't joined yet.
So uhh yeah it should work, except maybe not the sunday bc church, but we might be just doing it online instead. And about cheating, yeah thats true, maybe instead of a cubing time the person just has to film an ao25 on the same scrambles, one take, not cuts, etc. Then the top x people go on to the tournament section and the rest are eliminated.

D

Deleted member 55877

No, starting to solve before starting the timer to make the cut.
There's no point in doing that because you would simply get put in a faster bracket, which would make things harder in the tournament because you're competing against faster people

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I feel like going with my method or something similar would be better though.
It just feels a bit less fair to have people who have just been cubing for less time or such, getting cut in qualifiers and not making it to the main event.
I think a personal goal thing would still be more balanced.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I like that idea. How would we determine that time?
Missed this somehow.
Maybe an ao12 submitted beforehand to see their average and then take a fraction of that time of (a few seconds faster is more of a solve the faster you are). It would somewhat be on the honesty system to not get slower times initially then do really well, but maybe we could have the initially submitted times matter slightly as well, so submitting a slower than normal time loses points, and submitting a faster than normal time just sets high bars.

Jam88

YouTube
Visit Channel
Missed this somehow.
Maybe an ao12 submitted beforehand to see their average and then take a fraction of that time of (a few seconds faster is more of a solve the faster you are). It would somewhat be on the honesty system to not get slower times initially then do really well, but maybe we could have the initially submitted times matter slightly as well, so submitting a slower than normal time loses points, and submitting a faster than normal time just sets high bars.
Me and Nathan have been discussing this. I’ll post our finished system when signups open.