• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Paradox of Choice

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Satisfaction when selecting and buying cubes doesn't really matter. What matters is the overall result (how fast you are), and it seems to me that if you have good reviewers more types of cubes is definitely more useful. And if you don't have good reviewers, it's not all that expensive to just buy a few different types to try :p

anuradha

Premium Member
... it's not all that expensive to just buy a few different types to try :p

That's what I do! :p But even so, there is still room for dissatisfaction.

E.g.: One cube gets me best times but pops once in a while, the other one never pops but times are slightly worse. What should be my choice for a competition? If the popping of the first cube is not that common, I would probably take the risk and use it. But if it does pop during the competition, I would end up blaming myself for the wrong choice. If I select the second one and end up with not-so-good times, the afterthought may be "I should have selected the other one because pops are not that common".

Either way, I might end up blaming myself if things don't go well.

Having said that, I am all for having more and more choices! ;-)

Last edited:

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
E.g.: One cube gets me best times but pops once in a while, the other one never pops but times are slightly worse. What should be my choice for a competition? If the popping of the first cube is not that common, I would probably take the risk and use it. But if it does pop during the competition, I would end up blaming myself for the wrong choice. If I select the second one and end up with not-so-good times, the afterthought may be "I should have selected the other one because pops are not that common".

Either way, I might end up blaming myself if things don't go well.

[slightly off topic rant]
Haha, this brought back memories of my average that I've blabbed about to everyone who will listen (comp average), 12, 13, 12, 17, 17 pop.
It would've been a high 12 average, pb, and in comp.
I'm wishing I'd use my A-V now... :p
[/rant]