• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Owen's Progress Thread | Finally some updates |

How long will it take me to get a sub 40 single?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Weekly update:

This week I focused mostly on Square one and Clock, I also did some Megaminx and am averaging around 52-53 when I am completely neutral on what color I start on and what direction I rotate in my S2L.

I am averaging low 9 now on clock, and around 22 on squan.

Screenshot 2020-08-14 at 4.11.08 PM.png
I probably will get a sub 9 average of 100 later today.

Screenshot 2020-08-14 at 4.11.21 PM.png

Haven't been doing a bunch of OH lately because my finger is fully healed now and OH isn't something I find extremely fun. YruRU makes it more fun though so I will probably start practicing it again soon.

EDIT: Oh I should probably add that I got a custom critique from @Zubin Park, when that is ready I will try to get my times back on 3x3.

EDIT 2: Ahh here we go

Screenshot 2020-08-14 at 4.38.26 PM.png

Last edited:

Spacey10

YouTube
Visit Channel
Weekly update:

This week I focused mostly on Square one and Clock, I also did some Megaminx and am averaging around 52-53 when I am completely neutral on what color I start on and what direction I rotate in my S2L.

I am averaging low 9 now on clock, and around 22 on squan.

View attachment 13226
I probably will get a sub 9 average of 100 later today.

View attachment 13227

Haven't been doing a bunch of OH lately because my finger is fully healed now and OH isn't something I find extremely fun. YruRU makes it more fun though so I will probably start practicing it again soon.
Wow, is it usual to dnf more than usual on cloncc?

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Now that my clock is as fast I want it to be I am going to go back to grinding for S2L neutrality although this time with a new approach. Instead of just solving and making sure I don't start with yellow I am going to be scrambling only the S2L and solving one specific color over and over again until it is as fast as with yellow. I will then do this with all the colors.

Still working on 5x5, averaging around 1:30.

I have been getting worse at squan :( I average around 24 now which doesn't make sense considering I have done more solves. Does anyone know what I can do to improve at squan? I don't really know what I should be working on to get faster.

Also I will keep practicing clock and probably will grind it again once I am neutral with my S2L.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I competed in the comp Micah and I were hosting today (Cubing with Corona 4) and I did pretty good. I got an 8.7 average on clock which isn't terrible considering every other comp I have done with clock I have DNFd. I got 4th place (top 3 get giftcards) on 3x3 I did decent in the 2nd round with a 9.8 average which made the H2H finals surprisingly! I got 4th in the H2H (again, top 3 get giftcards) And for Megaminx I did pretty good and got a 45.90 average, which of course, was 4th place :(

Those were the only 3 events I competed in as I didn't have time for 5x5 or OH because I was busy running the comp.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I haven't been doing super consistent weekly updates, I have been just posting whenever something exciting happens. I will try to start doing updates every week.

Week 3

This week I was mostly practicing Megaminx and Squan. I dropped my squan times to mid 19.

I am getting very close to completely getting rid of my S2L order. I am familiar with all the colors, I just need to do lots of solves to get used to picking which one to do and which direction to go.

This upcoming week I am going to try to get my 3x3 times back to where they were. I got a custom guide from @Zubin Park so hopefully that will help.

I also want to keep practicing Megaminx and get my normal times with no S2L order by the end of this month.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry I have not been updating, I have lots of school and not much time to cube. I have been working on becoming more of an all-rounder while still working on getting rid of my S2L order. I learned CLL and will start doing solves once I drill them more. I got the Qiyi clock and average low 7/high 6. I got the Gan Pyra and am hoping to get fast at it soon. I got the MGC 6 and 7 and am practicing those as much as I can, I average mid 3 on 6x6 and high 6 on 7x7. And finally, I got the Yuhu V2 and got my first sub 40 average of 5! The 3 middle solves were the ones I didn't use an S2L order on.

Generated By csTimer on 2020-09-29
avg of 5: 39.117

Time List:
37.120, 38.930, 42.180, 38.340, 40.080

I am averaging around 43 now.

Last edited:
Sorry I have not been updating, I have lots of school and not much time to cube. I have been working on becoming more of an all-rounder while still working on getting rid of my S2L order. I learned CLL and will start doing solves once I drill them more. I got the Qiyi clock and average low 7/high 6. I got the Gan Pyra and am hoping to get fast at it soon. I got the MGC 6 and 7 and am practicing those as much as I can, I average mid 3 on 6x6 and high 6 on 7x7. And finally, I got the Yuhu V2 and got my first sub 40 average of 5! The 3 middle solves were the ones I didn't use an S2L order on.

Generated By csTimer on 2020-09-29
avg of 5: 39.117

Time List:
37.120, 38.930, 42.180, 38.340, 40.080

I am averaging around 43 now.
You're doing well at clock!
You're almost world class. A 7.00 average in comp would place you 86th in the world!

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I watched your video on the 32.10 pb single.
I have two questions:
1. How do you scramble so fast????
2. Any tips for Westlund? I practice good look ahead when doing S2L/F2L.
I guess it just came from scrambling so much.

I already answered your PM with tips.