• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Original Rubik's Cube as Speed Cube?

Gullyver

Hello Speedsolvers :)

I've found an article, which says that speedcubing beginners can also use the original rubik's cube as a speed cube once you lubricate it. I myself have an original and my current best is 58 seconds. Do you think I should buy a real speed cube or try harder with the original and some lube? :)

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
Hello Speedsolvers :)
I
I've found an article, which says that speedcubing beginners can also use the original rubik's cube as a speed cube once you lubricate it. I myself have an original and my current best is 58 seconds. Do you think I should buy a real speed cube or try harder with the original and some lube? :)
That article has a lot of misinformation and outdated information. The quality of turning of a Rubik's brand is absolutely shocking compared to even budget cubes. You can get high quality cubes from YJ, Moyu, Qiyi, etc that are a quarter of the price and far superior quality.

The MF3RS that has already been mentioned is an extremely high quality speedcube specifically designed for absolute beginners (it's part of the Cubing Classroom series) and retails for less than €5.

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can stick with it. Not really worth it those. It will affect your turning stuff.

I didn't switch to a speedcube until a few months after July 2010, the F-II stock stickers had to be replaced unless you wanted 6 white sides. I averaged around fourty something and switching helped since the top speedcubes before the GuHong were still a lot better than a storebrought. Some people have stuck with storebroughts a while. I think Alex Lau was averaging sub 15 or around there before he switched. (This was in 2011 but it was unusual. The Zhanchi was out).
Also by original which one do you mean there's the 2.0 cube, 25th anniversey, and many before that. Also how would Rubiks DIYs count?

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can stick with it. Not really worth it those. It will affect your turning stuff.

I didn't switch to a speedcube until a few months after July 2010, the F-II stock stickers had to be replaced unless you wanted 6 white sides. I averaged around fourty something and switching helped since the top speedcubes before the GuHong were still a lot better than a storebrought. Some people have stuck with storebroughts a while. I think Alex Lau was averaging sub 15 or around there before he switched. (This was in 2011 but it was unusual. The Zhanchi was out).
Also by original which one do you mean there's the 2.0 cube, 25th anniversey, and many before that. Also how would Rubiks DIYs count?
20 spoilers? Why?

WCA
2017BATT02
My current cube is an unlubed 3x3, my best Ao5 is 1:15, and I've been cubing for a year with a six month break in the middle. I worked my cube a lot in the first month I had it, to the point where my speedcubing friends (who all had stickerless speedcubes) were asking how I got it so smooth. It's really not a terrible cube IMO, I've held a speedcube or two (though only the one since I started fingertricking) and I happen to currently like mine better then the ones I've tried. It does NOT corner cut well, but other than that I'm satisfied. I'm currently going after a MoYu AoLong V2 (I need high quality cause I'm not likely to get another) to see what it does to my times. I think it's really a matter of how your cube feels when you solve, what you're dissatisfied with about it, and which speedcube you think will fix that problem. If you don't find a reason to switch then you don't have to unless you have extra money and want to experiment. :p

cuber314159

WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you want a good cube then just get the weilong gts2 or a valk, the aolong v2 is outdated
My current cube is an unlubed 3x3, my best Ao5 is 1:15, and I've been cubing for a year with a six month break in the middle. I worked my cube a lot in the first month I had it, to the point where my speedcubing friends (who all had stickerless speedcubes) were asking how I got it so smooth. It's really not a terrible cube IMO, I've held a speedcube or two (though only the one since I started fingertricking) and I happen to currently like mine better then the ones I've tried. It does NOT corner cut well, but other than that I'm satisfied. I'm currently going after a MoYu AoLong V2 (I need high quality cause I'm not likely to get another) to see what it does to my times. I think it's really a matter of how your cube feels when you solve, what you're dissatisfied with about it, and which speedcube you think will fix that problem. If you don't find a reason to switch then you don't have to unless you have extra money and want to experiment. :p

WCA
2017BATT02
If you want a good cube then just get the weilong gts2 or a valk, the aolong v2 is outdated
Looking at those on Cubicle, I think I'll stick with the AoLong, they seem like they tend to run expensive and I don't have an allowance or any other source of income. Had to get a windfall to be able to afford the $16 for the AoLong, so...

Rcuber123

WCA
2014TAMI01
Looking at those on Cubicle, I think I'll stick with the AoLong, they seem like they tend to run expensive and I don't have an allowance or any other source of income. Had to get a windfall to be able to afford the $16 for the AoLong, so...
If u are looking for a cube that is cheap but still good I would recommend a thunderclap (v1) or a MF3RS

cuber314159

WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Weilong gts2 is about $14 at cubezz, magiccubemall and lightake and about $19 at the cubicle and speedcubeshop.

idrisito gs

Buddy, go to lightake.com and buy a good and cheap speedcube. mf3rs or warrior w are both good, and there is a new z cube magnetic 3x3 which is a magnetized mf3rs. When i got a gts my times dropped for 3-4 sec. Now I awerage 22 sec.

JAcuber3.14

You should definitely get a speed cubes. I had a Rubik's brand until a few months ago and they really aren't good. Lubricating them doesn't help much. I use an Aolong and I went from a PB of 43 seconds to 22 seconds really quickly since speedcuber are so much easier to turn. You only realise how bad Rubik's cubes are after you get used to a speedcube and then try to turn the Rubik's brand again.