• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Opinions on clock?

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
hardware is terrible
1) The hardware is a joke
Love the way that everyone says the hardware is terrible...which if set up right and magnetized it really great. Granted the LingoAo clock out of the box is bad and the pins are not great (if at all), but there are mods that can be done to improve it and make it great. It is to some degree like when the Qiyi Sq1 came out, no one really liked it as much due to the core stripping, but after some mods were done on it, it worked great.

Personally, I really enjoy Clock and hope that it stays for a while as an official event.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Love the way that everyone says the hardware is terrible...which if set up right and magnetized it really great. Granted the LingoAo clock out of the box is bad and the pins are not great (if at all), but there are mods that can be done to improve it and make it great. It is to some degree like when the Qiyi Sq1 came out, no one really liked it as much due to the core stripping, but after some mods were done on it, it worked great.

Personally, I really enjoy Clock and hope that it stays for a while as an official event.
It can be great, yes. But most people don't want to do all of the work just to be able to use it reliably. I set mine up (not mag yet) and I love it, but it's still near unusable ootb.
Like I said, I like the event, but I wouldn't care if it was removed.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
But most people don't want to do all of the work just to be able to use it reliably
That is (to some degree) sadly the truth about a lot of things in life, but I do not necessarily agree with it. If someone does not want to do the work to set something up (or to improve it) then they have not given whatever it is a fair chance (in this case Clock). If for instance no one ever did anything with the Sq1 then they could be saying the same thing that is being said about Clock, but because someone did explore mods and made it great a lot of people love it.

The only difference for Sq1 and Clock is the fact that Clock is not a cube shape, turning cube etc. like all the other WCA events are, and that in my opinion is the only legit argument that can be made about Clock.

I am completly with you in what you have said so please do not take this against that. I just like Clock, and think that if other people took the time to mod it then more people would like Clock, and I know they would since I have several people borrow mine at comps and they all like Clock more then before they used mine because they are set up.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
Hello everyone! I don’t know why Clock is so hated? Can you guys please tell me why you hate clock so much, I love clock!
I love clock. Ever since I got magnets and magnetized my clock, it’s been my favorite event, and I find it just so much fun to solve. If you want to be serious, just get e magnetic clock, it will change your life. After around 2 1/2 months of being able to solve the event sub-20, I am averaging around 8 seconds on stackmat and only improving!

I think it’s hated because it’s so different, but it is loved by many people so I don’t see it being removed too soon.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I have a really nice magnetic clock, hardware is not that much of an issue for me. I just don’t find the solve all that satisfying. I would probably like it better if I practiced more: I average around 40 seconds. But I don’t have the desire to practice more.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Technically, none of the WCA puzzles are 'twisty' puzzles.

twist
verb (used with object)
to combine, as two or more strands or threads, by winding together; intertwine.
to form by or as if by winding strands together:Several fibers were used to twist the rope.

turn
verb (used with object)
to cause to move around on an axis or about a center; rotate:to turn a wheel.
to cause to move around or partly around, as for the purpose of opening, closing, or tightening:to turn a key; to turn the cap of a jar.

Since Clock involes turning wheels around an axis, just like every other WCA puzzle, I don't see how this is an argument that it isn't suitable for WCA.

The hardware might not be the best, but I don't think hardware is the bottleneck here. WRs are being set at 4 seconds. That's /incredibly/ fast. My PB is 20 seconds on a "crappy old Rubik's Clock" with no mods whatsoever and I am by no means an advanced Clock solver, to put it lightly.

In short, I really like Clock. I always have since I was a kid. It's an original Rubik's puzzle, which to me holds nostalgic value as well as the enjoyment of solving the puzzle. It's solvable intuitively or with algs, so it's easy to get into for non puzzle experts.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
twist
verb (used with object)
to combine, as two or more strands or threads, by winding together; intertwine.
to form by or as if by winding strands together:Several fibers were used to twist the rope.

Google would like to disagree.

Twist
1. form into a bent, curling, or distorted shape.
2. cause to rotate around something that remains stationary; turn.

greentgoatgal

The definition of twisty or twisty puzzle is irrelevant. It's missing the whole twisty puzzle, colorful vibe.

I also don't like it because there is only one company selling clocks (which was a large reason people were against redi cube), and it's a poor spectator event.

As for hardware, you have to put a lot of work into setting one up to make it anywhere near decent and a lot of cubers, particularly newer cubers, are unable or unwilling to put in the work.

Clock has its place, but I don't think that place is in WCA competitions.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Clock has its place, but I don't think that place is in WCA competitions.

I may be wrong, but I thought the only puzzle that to date had been removed from the WCA lineup is Magic, and part of the logic for removing it was that it’s not really a puzzle. Removing Feet or discussing removing Clock sets a dangerous precedent of only recognizing records from puzzles that happen to be popular at the time. Clock is a puzzle, although not one I enjoy a lot. The time to discuss its inclusion in the WCA was when it was first included.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I may be wrong, but I thought the only puzzle that to date had been removed from the WCA lineup is Magic, and part of the logic for removing it was that it’s not really a puzzle. Removing Feet or discussing removing Clock sets a dangerous precedent of only recognizing records from puzzles that happen to be popular at the time. Clock is a puzzle, although not one I enjoy a lot. The time to discuss its inclusion in the WCA was when it was first included.
Very early on, before events were really solidified and codified, there were some other events that rather quickly disappeared.

While magic not really being a puzzle was given as a reason, the more overwhelming reason for it being removed was because it could not be judged consistently. This had become a real problem and the validity of the results had come into question because of it. In my opinion, that was the real reason for its removal.

I held one of the last few competitions to officially support magic and master magic before they were removed (and after it had been announced that they would be removed), and the way we dealt with the judging consistency problem was that we had one really experienced, capable, firm judge (Ilkyoo Choi) who judged every single magic and master magic solve in that competition (other than his own solves, which I judged). That at least allowed the events to be judged consistently within that one competition.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
What events? I know Rainbow was one?
I managed to find this in the wayback machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090308125829/http://speedcubing.com/results/events.php
6x6x6
7x7x7
Rainbow
Skewb
Siamese
Snake
Mirror Blocks
No Inspection
3 in a row
speed BLD
2x2x2 one handed
magic one handed
2x2x2 BLD
square-1 BLD
mirror blocks BLD
2-3-4 relay
magic chess
magic balls
magic create cube

Many of these were definitely just unofficial events held at competitions. But I know Siamese cube was held as an event at WC2003:
http://speedcubing.com/events/wc2003/wc2003_results.html

Last edited:
Reactions: pjk