• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Square-1 Question Thread

turtwig

http://andrewknelson.com/2012/03/23/square-1-full-cubeshape/
This website says not to just memorize every algorithm on the page, and I don't understand the reasoning behind it (even though they gave an explanation) can someone dumb it down for me? Is there anywhere I can just learn full algorithms for all shape combinations?

You don't have to learn algs since every cubeshape reduces to an easier one. What I've done is learn all the 3 slice shapes, than learn all the 4 slice shapes (you only have to learn the first slice since after that it reduces to a 3 slice case you already know), and so on.
http://www.alchemistmatt.com/cube/square1list.html
This is the website I use. It has all the cases, but not the algs. It only tells you what to reduce each case into.

If you really want algs, I can't help you. I've searched around a bit and I don't think a page with all cases and their solutions exists.

Last edited:

EMI

WCA
2011RHEI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
http://andrewknelson.com/2012/03/23/square-1-full-cubeshape/
This website says not to just memorize every algorithm on the page, and I don't understand the reasoning behind it (even though they gave an explanation) can someone dumb it down for me? Is there anywhere I can just learn full algorithms for all shape combinations?
I guess it is meant as, don't memorize them as algorithms but memorize how to reduce them to simpler cases.
I don't think it matters at all though. I'd say memorize the ones with depth 1 - 3 or maybe 4. It really isn't much. And then just practise a lot, and look up some harder cases every now and then, until you have a good solution for every shape :)

Edit: Sorry, thought this was the most recent post. Anyway, to make cubeshape easier I would really just learn the cases up to depth 3. The most important one being kite/scallop, because many cases are easy to reduce to that :)

Last edited:

Lid

WCA
2008LIDS01
Anyone know if there's a better opp-adj EP alg than this one:

http://sarah.cubing.net/square-1/ep#alg/sq1-ep12

That one seems fine, but I wanted to check if there's a better one I didn't find... or if there's a generally better EP alg resource...

Thanks!
From my webpage:
1,0/0,-1/0,-3/5,0/-5,0/0,3/0,1/5,0
1,0/0,-1/0,-3/-1,0/6,0/1,0/0,3/0,1/5,0
1,0/0,-1/0,-3/-1,0/1,-2/0,-1/0,-3/-1,0/0,-2

Sion

On a square one, are the top and bottom layers meant to feel insanely loose? (im a squan newbie).

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there a Hasse Diagram for cube shape relations somewhere?

I feel I'll find it easier to learn advanded cubeshape this way. All I'll need to learn is cases one slice away from ones I know how to solve optimaly, for example, cases a slice away from kite-scallop. Seeing the relations of these shapes is something I feel would be very useful.

No need for algs with this.

KraftDamus

I have a standard color scheme Qiyi Square 1. With which colors do I hold on top and front well scrambling? I have been using the darker color (red) on front and yellow on top. I ask this because when I generate a scramble on csTimer and I have it where it shows me what the scramble should look like... The colors are not lining up. What colors should be where?

I have a standard color scheme Qiyi Square 1. With which colors do I hold on top and front well scrambling? I have been using the darker color (red) on front and yellow on top. I ask this because when I generate a scramble on csTimer and I have it where it shows me what the scramble should look like... The colors are not lining up. What colors should be where?

Yellow red, csTimer is white green I think.

KraftDamus

Ok, The thing is green doesn't move. ?( Whatever. I will just make sure I do the scramble correct.

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why does this only have ~ 60 cases?
65, because of mirror image cases. For example, there's two possibilities for bad fists, but only one is in the image. I'm not sure it's the best choice, since it doesn't show how these cases interact with each other, but a lot of the adjacency info is missing anyway (since it's very difficult to draw with lots of links between cases at the same depth) and I think it's mostly meant to show the depth for each case, so maybe it's not too bad.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
DISCLAIMER: I don't practice sq-1, but I still know what I'm talking about because I was interested in it a while ago. Same principles apply to other practice too.
Do I have to learn eo,cp,ep algorithms to be sub 40 or do I only learn them when I am sub 40?
EO/CP are like less than 15 algs. You should probably work on learning them asap, but in no way are they necessary to becoming sub-40. But yeah they help a lot

EP is like 100 algs and you probably don't need to learn that for a while, though it's always good to start working on them now too.