• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Square-1 Question Thread

AlexvanVugt

Is there any way to avoid parity on sq1? Someone told me that there was an advanced advanced cube shape, which avoids parity, although I couldn't find it anywhere.

AlexvanVugt

Thanks. Sorry, I couldn't seem to find the search bar on the updated web(on mobile).

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've just updated the OP in my thread to link to the most recent guides, so I suggest having another look. The pastebin is also linked in my sig, and is where I go if I need to check how to do a certain case (well, I use a local copy but it's the same info). Any questions about it just let me know.

pyr14

WCA
2014SIME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How fast can I get with this basic beginner's method? I'm trying to be able to make a 1:30 cutoff for my upcoming competition (probably shouldn't have registered for square-1)

i usually average between maybe 25-35 seconds and with the begginers i get 48 seconds.

if u put effort in, i think it's very possible to make the 1:30 cutoff with just this method.

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
So I just learned Advanced cube shape today, but I noticed that when I scramble the cube, there's multiple different shapes that aren't in the video I watched (By Brandon Lin). A lot of them i would find difficult to do intuitively too, like square/fist or shield/paw, and a bunch of cases i cant even name. What do you do for these cases? Use beginners, learn the cases yourself, turn it into a scallop case and solve, or what?

M

Malkom

So I just learned Advanced cube shape today, but I noticed that when I scramble the cube, there's multiple different shapes that aren't in the video I watched (By Brandon Lin). A lot of them i would find difficult to do intuitively too, like square/fist or shield/paw, and a bunch of cases i cant even name. What do you do for these cases? Use beginners, learn the cases yourself, turn it into a scallop case and solve, or what?
Those are just a few algs, you can learn the rest somewhere else.

M

Malkom

Oh ok lol. I was so excited at first I thought I learned full cube shape in one day XD
Or well atleast i think so. I dont even own a Square one but for some reason i watched that video and i think people in the Comments said something about it not being a complete tutorial and your observations seem to Confirm that.

MoFoYa

Does anyone have any tips for hand-scrambling a sq1? I can get the colors mixed up easily, but I have trouble with shapes... I always end up with easy shapes.

Sam N

Does anyone have any tips for hand-scrambling a sq1? I can get the colors mixed up easily, but I have trouble with shapes... I always end up with easy shapes.

In all honesty I just don't use them. Using a random state scrambler is easier. It sucks if you don't have one on you, but square -1 is a puzzle that allows for dumb scrambles.

EDIT: I guess if you really want to hand scramble, I'd suggest scrambling it while in cube shape, and then leave cube-shape to further scramble it.

Last edited:

MoFoYa

EDIT: I guess if you really want to hand scramble, I'd suggest scrambling it while in cube shape, and then leave cube-shape to further scramble it.

This is exactly what I do when I don't have a scrambler available... I just don't feel like I'm getting random shapes because I have to pay so much attention to them when scrambling.

EntireTV

The qiyi squan mechanism has a few caps for edge pieces, and sometimes when turning I have these fall off. Any way to prevent this?