• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

EMI

WCA
2011RHEI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How is BLD Memo done in Asian countries? I'm not an expert, but I kinda doubt they use letter pairs :D Iggy told me he is doing it in English, but, say, Kaijun Lin or Nakaji?

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
How is BLD Memo done in Asian countries? I'm not an expert, but I kinda doubt they use letter pairs :D Iggy told me he is doing it in English, but, say, Kaijun Lin or Nakaji?

This had me thinking: Is it common to do bilingual memo?

I'm from Finland and in our language it's difficult to find words for some letters (G or C for example) so I use english and finnish in many of my memos. Just started thinking if many people do this or if this is something little rarer...

Username

WCA
2013JOKI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This had me thinking: Is it common to do bilingual memo?

I'm from Finland and in our language it's difficult to find words for some letters (G or C for example) so I use english and finnish in many of my memos. Just started thinking if many people do this or if this is something little rarer...

I do this too. Makes it so much easier. I also mix in some swedish (since I'm trilingual)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel

I happen to know that Ryosuke Mondo (Japan) actually did use letter pairs. One of my prized possessions is his image collection organized by letter pair - he gave it to me at US Nationals one year - an actual printout of images taken from the Internet that match each letter pair. He told me that in some cases the letters went with English words, and in other cases with Japanese words.

Fawn

This is fine, just make sure that you shoot to an even number of targets every time you switch to OP. Remember that doing one turbo alg has the exact same effect as two OP algs.

An of course, make it you goal to eventually switch over to turbo completely.

Yeah. My first success was with full tuRBo edges, but after several attempts, I found that I had trouble dealing with cycle breaks, so I decided to stick with OP until I get better at tracking stuff like that.

Raviorez

OP/M2 or OP

Hello everyone,

I really want to learn blindsolving but I don't know which method I should learn :/

I find 2 beginners methods.

OP/M2 like Noah's tutorial

OP like badmephisto's tutorial

Which method is the best one?
Why?

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
I would recommend going straight for M2/OP because you'll have to switch pretty soon anyway. And M2 is pretty easy to understand method after all :)

M2 is significantly faster than OP and only slightly more difficult to learn

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
OP/M2 like Noah's tutorial
OP like badmephisto's tutorial
Which method is the best one?
Why?

Start with OP. You don't need to learn any algorithms, since you only need some PLL's (which you should already know)
M2 is more difficult. You need extra algorithms for the M-slice AND you need to know if you have already solved an even or odd number of targets, to know which algorithm to use. It should be a bit faster though.

tl,dr: Start with OP, learn M2/OP later

I'd agree with tseitsei, just go straight for OP/M2. There are only 2 algs that are at all difficult to learn, and one is just the inverse of the other. Way more potential to get faster, too.

Nicck

YouTube
Visit Channel
I personally used M2 for my first solve. OP edges and M2 are conceptually very similar, but M2 is slightly more complicated. However, while it may take you a bit longer to achieve your first successful solve using M2, you will never need to make the OP-M2 transition, which saves you time in the long run. Furthermore, even though M2's setup moves are a bit longer and it requires special handling for "moving targets," it a much more efficient method and is thus, in a sense, easier to execute. I suppose you could compare learning OP and M2 as a beginner to, respectively, climbing up a hill that is not steep and a hill that is steep. While each step up the second hill may be more difficult, the distance you must travel is far less, so the effort required to climb each is more or less equal.

tl,dr: I believe M2/OP is the best way to start.