• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What's the biggest BLD attempt ever? I know about Roman Strakhov's 9BLD success and 10BLD attempt, but has anyone ever done something like GigaBLD or TeraBLD? (Gigaminx and teraminx that is) Also, has there ever been something like MBLD with 4x4 or 5x5 (or bigger?) I just find this stuff really interesting.

Lazy Einstein

Alg Ninja
Earth, Solar system, Orion Spur, Milky Way
Noah did a 4x4 MBLD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-QUwui5SzI

Don't know about the others. Maskow has a 95/100 MBLD if you didn't know.

Woah cool I never seen a MBLD 4x4x4 before. Also, yes Maskow is a manic. Seriously has to be superpowers or a brain tumor or something. How can you remember that?

Anywho, only official events I have never attempted to get into is clock, feet, and bld. Want to start giving bld a shot. Where should I start?

WCA
2011ANGE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, I did a search for this, but nothing. I am new to BLD, and I can't even do it sighted. I don't know why, I am following Tyson Mao's (3OP i think) tutorial, and I can orient the pieces fine, but for some reason I SUCK (By suck I mean I can't) at permuting. Also, should I learn a different method instead of 3OP? I looked at stefan's M2 tutorial and it gave me a brain cramp.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
BU (Q): B' R B U R2 U' M2 U R2 U' B' R' B
One alg, three ways to remember it:

U M' U M' U M' U M U M' U M' U M' U M'
= (U M' U M' U M' U M)2 M2, last two moves (M M2) cancel to M'.
= (U M')3 U M (U M')3 U M'

Hey, I did a search for this, but nothing. I am new to BLD, and I can't even do it sighted. I don't know why, I am following Tyson Mao's (3OP i think) tutorial, and I can orient the pieces fine, but for some reason I SUCK (By suck I mean I can't) at permuting. Also, should I learn a different method instead of 3OP? I looked at stefan's M2 tutorial and it gave me a brain cramp.
Yes, don't learn 3OP. Learn OP instead; if you know PLL (you only need Ra/J/L/T/Y) it's easy to learn how to solve a cube. Imo, memorising is the hardest part to learn if you start with OP.

Last edited:

bosaapje

WCA
2013TOLM01
I'm can't get past the first cycle.

Hi everyone,

I started with blindsolving a few months ago and I use the Old Pochmann method. I get the method and I can solve it when I'm looking but when I solve it blind I can't get through the cycles. I can memorize the order of execution and I know when the I have to cycle but I can't do it. It does maybe sound a bit weird but yeah, I can't get it how the cycling has to be done when I'm blindfolded. Does someone know any technique that can help me with this problem?

Thanks in advance

Cm_Hu

WCA
2011HUXI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi everyone,

I started with blindsolving a few months ago and I use the Old Pochmann method. I get the method and I can solve it when I'm looking but when I solve it blind I can't get through the cycles. I can memorize the order of execution and I know when the I have to cycle but I can't do it. It does maybe sound a bit weird but yeah, I can't get it how the cycling has to be done when I'm blindfolded. Does someone know any technique that can help me with this problem?

Thanks in advance
Do you mean you have troubles with cycle break?
If you are not clear with cycle break, here is an example.

scramble your cube with x' R U' R' D R U R' D' R U R' D R U' R' D' x

My buffer is UBL and it should go to UFL, so the first sticker i memorize is UFL. Then UFL should go back to buffer, so we should break into a new cycle. To start, choose an unsolved piece, i choose UFR, so the second sticker i remember is UFR. UFR should go to UBR, so the third sticker is UBR. UBR should go to UFR, so the fourth sticker is UFR. as long as UFR is the piece i choose to start a new cycle, the memorization is done. The whole memorization is UFL-UFR-UBR-UFR.

Last edited:

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
It does maybe sound a bit weird but yeah, I can't get it how the cycling has to be done when I'm blindfolded

It does sound weird. Are you using the word "cycling" for solving a cycle of pieces, or for doing the correct setup-moves for one target?
If you can do it while looking, try starting on a cube with 4 unsolved pieces, and solve only those 4 blind. If that is going good, increase the number.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
It does sound weird. Are you using the word "cycling" for solving a cycle of pieces, or for doing the correct setup-moves for one target?
If you can do it while looking, try starting on a cube with 4 unsolved pieces, and solve only those 4 blind. If that is going good, increase the number.

This is good advice. I would also say, when you're doing sighted OP, do two at a time, so you can practice pairing letters. This also lets you see where you might be going wrong, and what you need to do when you hit a cycle break.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
What's the biggest BLD attempt ever? I know about Roman Strakhov's 9BLD success and 10BLD attempt, but has anyone ever done something like GigaBLD or TeraBLD? (Gigaminx and teraminx that is) Also, has there ever been something like MBLD with 4x4 or 5x5 (or bigger?) I just find this stuff really interesting.

I've tried Gigaminx BLD three times so far (quite a while ago); attempts were 6 hours the first time, 4 1/2 hours the second and third time. All were around 20% incorrect. :( I still have my gigaminx on the kitchen counter staring at me, making me feel guilty every time I go by it and don't pick it up to try again.

Oh, and Chris Hardwick and I have both done 4/4 4x4x4 multis in negative time (2010 and 2011). And while we're talking about that, last year I had a -17 minute 7x7x7 BLD solve. :)

I had a 3/4 5x5x5 multi a lot of years ago. And a 1/2 7x7x7 multi. The latter one is on my youtube channel.

Last edited:

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel

You might find Dan Sarnelli's YouTube channel interesting - he's got a success on Octaminx and tried all sorts BLD when he was active!

Fawn

Is it easy/possible to mix edge methods in a solve? I learned tuRBo edges, but I have a generally difficult time keeping trqck of cycle breaks with that, so I'm just sticking with pochmann for now. But still, would it be possible for me to do tuRBo edges for most edges and maybe deal with cycle breaks by using pochmann? I feel like that would give me some parity problems if I'm not careful.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it easy/possible to mix edge methods in a solve? I learned tuRBo edges, but I have a generally difficult time keeping trqck of cycle breaks with that, so I'm just sticking with pochmann for now. But still, would it be possible for me to do tuRBo edges for most edges and maybe deal with cycle breaks by using pochmann? I feel like that would give me some parity problems if I'm not careful.

This is fine, just make sure that you shoot to an even number of targets every time you switch to OP. Remember that doing one turbo alg has the exact same effect as two OP algs.

An of course, make it you goal to eventually switch over to turbo completely.